PHL-FCO returns to Philly last night

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
PHL-FCO returns to Philly last night

From USAToday:

Rome-bound US Air flight returns to Philly after computer glitch

A Rome-bound US Airways flight returned to Philadelphia about two hours after takeoff Wednesday evening because of a glitch in a backup navigational computer, The Associated Press reports. "The pilot discovered the problem with a backup navigation system as the flight headed over the ocean," AP writes, citing airline spokeswoman Andrea Rader. She said fliers were never in danger. "Because you're heading out over the Atlantic, you want to have an abundance of caution," Rader tells AP. "It was a very minor problem in a backup to the backup (system)."

As someone posted on Ben Mutzabaugh's blog, "USAIR and computer glitch in the same sentence, who would have ever thought?"
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
I wonder if that is why there was such a mess down in the B terminal with rebooking late last night. The B ticketing was messed up (no kiosks) and the customer service desk at the B gates was also a mess with what appeared to be many foreign customers....
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:41 am

Programs: UA
Nice sightseeing flight, PHL to PHL

03-Apr-2007 A333/Q Philadelphia Int'l (KPHL) Philadelphia Int'l (KPHL) 08:45PM EDT 10:22PM EDT 1:37
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: UA
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...045Z/KPHL/KPHL
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:07 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Over on USaviation.com, it was discussed extensively. All the passengers were rebooked and flew out the next day, mostly on other airlines. But the way they were "handled" by the agents in the airport was allegedly pretty bad.

The reason given that the plane didn't go back out after the nav computer was fixed, or why they didn't use the A330 that is always overnight at PHL for the SJU morning flight, was because the crew timed out and no reserve crew could be found.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:28 pm

Were they served the arrival donut somewhere over Trenton?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: US Gold, HH gold
At the same time that flight was turning around I was standing at customer service with 150 other people who missed their international connections b/c PHL didn't take incoming aircraft for a couple of hours. It must have been a real mess once the Rome flight landed.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by USFreak
From USAToday:

Rome-bound US Air flight returns to Philly after computer glitch

A Rome-bound US Airways flight returned to Philadelphia about two hours after takeoff Wednesday evening because of a glitch in a backup navigational computer, The Associated Press reports. "The pilot discovered the problem with a backup navigation system as the flight headed over the ocean," AP writes, citing airline spokeswoman Andrea Rader. She said fliers were never in danger. "Because you're heading out over the Atlantic, you want to have an abundance of caution," Rader tells AP. "It was a very minor problem in a backup to the backup (system)."

As someone posted on Ben Mutzabaugh's blog, "USAIR and computer glitch in the same sentence, who would have ever thought?"

You seem to be associating the res problems and the 'glitches' on US Airways.com to this cancelled flight situation - is that the case? If so, you are very wrong. Flights are not cancelled/rerouted due to such trivial matters. Flights return to the airport if the pilot needs something to be checked out, and this is for the safety if the passengers and all on board. Your post is over-simplistic and unhelpful. I worked overtime to sort these pax out with alternative flights, and from what I hear the flight crew were absolutely right to return the plane to Philly for further checks. safety is the priority.

Although, it seems the PHL staff went home and simply toold the delayed pax to call Reservations. Not a good PR move. That is the main issue here.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:50 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by warbo
I worked overtime to sort these pax out with alternative flights, and from what I hear the flight crew were absolutely right to return the plane to Philly for further checks. safety is the priority.
I heard (from US maintenance people, albeit not in PHL) that it the flight was legal to continue but the Captain exercised his authority to return to PHL.

That might have been the prudent safety move. It may also have been the "do one's job" campaign that the East ALPA unit is pushing.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I heard (from US maintenance people, albeit not in PHL) that it the flight was legal to continue but the Captain exercised his authority to return to PHL.

That might have been the prudent safety move. It may also have been the "do one's job" campaign that the East ALPA unit is pushing.
To further add to this, it is being reported on usaviation that they lost 1 of 3 display management computers. Once airborne, they are (according to the source on usaviation and common sense) legal to continue on 2 of these with no interruption (they have to slave the captain's displays to the first officer's DMC) and can get over the pond with limited displays on 1 computer. Oh, and they allegedly reset the problematic DMC (inflight) and it came up.

The commentary on that site, allegedly by one of the mechanics who worked the aircraft, was along the lines of "a month ago, this flight continues to Rome." So, let's chalk this one up to about --> <-- of a safety concern, and a whole ton of use of captain's authority to prove a point to his/her management.

I'm not debating the wisdom of the latter, but I'm sick and tired of hearing "safety" recited as a mantra for every other airline screwup.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
and a whole ton of use of captain's authority to prove a point to his/her management.

I'm not debating the wisdom of the latter
Still, if this is truly the case, then it's very selfish of the captain to inconvenience a whole plane-load of passengers in that way. Not to mention all the passengers on the FCO-PHL flight the next day who at least are entitled to EU-style compensation...
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by chtiet
Still, if this is truly the case, then it's very selfish of the captain to inconvenience a whole plane-load of passengers in that way. Not to mention all the passengers on the FCO-PHL flight the next day who at least are entitled to EU-style compensation...
Perhaps. They are working to the rules that the FCC (and to them, more importantly) management crammed down their throat with the last contract in bankruptcy.

Chalk it up to unhappy employees. Some of them have subtle (and not-so-subtle) ways of dealing with the problem.

What is left unsaid here is that US could not or did not have a reserve crew available in PHL to take the aircraft to Rome when the crew timed out. Why, knowing that if that flight tanked it would knock out the return from Rome was the reserve crew not called as soon as the plane turned around?

(answer: US is cheap, but that's another discussion for another thread).
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:44 am

well the newest posting says that the captain had not crossed fully into NAT airspace and was obligated to return. Apparently the real problem was no backup crew.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by warbo
You seem to be associating the res problems and the 'glitches' on US Airways.com to this cancelled flight situation - is that the case? If so, you are very wrong. Flights are not cancelled/rerouted due to such trivial matters. Flights return to the airport if the pilot needs something to be checked out, and this is for the safety if the passengers and all on board. Your post is over-simplistic and unhelpful. I worked overtime to sort these pax out with alternative flights, and from what I hear the flight crew were absolutely right to return the plane to Philly for further checks. safety is the priority.
I think you're misreading this.

The point is "what, USAirways having computer glitches?" no....... not them!

It seems to be the problem du jour lately.. And the excuse is getting old.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
OK, attack me, but ... will they get full mileage credit for the returned flight and then the one they were rebooked on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.