Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoEnvoy Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
We're on the A330.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, HHonors Silver
I have a question - I bought the GoEnvoy upgrade last week from PHL-FCO. Do I get just the regular coach miles or do I get any class-of-service miles? Granted I didn't buy an Envoy ticket outright but I did pay for my upgrade.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by chsflyer
I have a question - I bought the GoEnvoy upgrade last week from PHL-FCO. Do I get just the regular coach miles or do I get any class-of-service miles? Granted I didn't buy an Envoy ticket outright but I did pay for my upgrade.
You get EQM's and RDM's based upon class of ticket purchased, so the "upsell" does not receive COS bonus.

*Class of Service Bonus miles are based on ticketed class. Upgrades are not eligible.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, HHonors Silver
Thanks, I thought that was probably the case but wanted to double check.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Wound up sitting in 1A and 1B. Enjoyed the ride there.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by photog72
Was the seat functional? Did it feel narrow as reported many times? what was your impression of the row 1 expereince?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
Was the seat functional? Did it feel narrow as reported many times? what was your impression of the row 1 expereince?
My seat was functional except for the lumbar support (I was in 1A). My gf's seat worked as advertised as well. It didn't feel narrow to me. But, I am not a big individual. I was able to turn to my sides when trying to fall asleep. YMMV on that opinion. As for row 1, it isn't worth $300 over the $500 upgrade. Not even $1 more. The lie flat was nice, but I could have fallen asleep just fine in rows 2 through 5. Coming back in 6G (bulkhead seat), I fell asleep just fine in Y.

BTW, our trip out to FRA was in one of the newly painted A330s (N272AY).
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:46 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Nice! Did you actually have to pay the extra $300, or were they the only seats available? Did your status help at all with the seats, or is money the only currency that "talks"? Glad to hear you had a good trip!

Sean
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
I've done 1A once as well, and while it was nice (quite nice, in fact), I too wouldn't pay the additional $300 for the privilege. I was a little freaked out at the no air vent thing (I like to pop them on for the entire flight, no matter how cold it is), but it wasn't a big deal. Not narrow at all, and never felt like I was in a coffin. Only problem was the TV screen kept smacking into the side of the plane, which it obviously had done many times judging from the scratches there...
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vysean
Nice! Did you actually have to pay the extra $300, or were they the only seats available? Did your status help at all with the seats, or is money the only currency that "talks"? Glad to hear you had a good trip!

Sean
No, I did not pay the extra $300. The agent on the phone said there weren't two seats together in Envoy (rows 2 through 5). So, she was nice enough to put us together in row 1. I had called the Gold line to request seats together. Maybe that helped?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:42 pm

No, I did not pay the extra $300. The agent on the phone said there weren't two seats together in Envoy (rows 2 through 5). So, she was nice enough to put us together in row 1. I had called the Gold line to request seats together. Maybe that helped?
It's nice to think that status might still count for something. ^ FWIW, I might consider the agent's actions above-and-beyond - she could have easily booked you in whatever available seats there were and left it up to you and the F/As to get others to move around so you could sit together.

Anyway, congrats on the free upgrade!
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:04 am
Original Poster

I just found out... after looking at my Dividend Miles account that I was credited with 3950 miles in J class and the Gold bonus after the PHL-FRA segment. All the other segments did not post which was correct. So, apparently, I got some free miles out of the deal.

As for that agent, I wish I had her name. I would send in a A&B cert for her.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:15 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by planeluvr
You get EQM's and RDM's based upon class of ticket purchased, so the "upsell" does not receive COS bonus.

*Class of Service Bonus miles are based on ticketed class. Upgrades are not eligible.
just wanted to say this would be an interesting perk of the goenvoy upgrade f they were to add it (assume the backend computer coding could be tricky, they'd have to have a special fare class).

average one-way mileage from US to europe is about 4k miles. $500 each way. $500/4000 = 12 cents per mile. Very steep for our side, great for us' side. they could even make them COS tier miles and its still a big windfall for US.

--

also, to the OP who got bumped to 1A/B and got tier miles.. sounds like the agent who bumped you up to row 1 re-assigned your class of service to do so. This is something that I know was a bit tricky in SABRE but maybe is easier in SHARES?

way back when, chexfan had noted that if you changed your seat assignment in envoy class on upgrades (old O class), that you might luckily get a European gate agent who didnt exactly know how to do it, and would do it by changing to J-class. I got a few extra tier mile bumps that way - and it took us a while to figure out how it happened.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by hscottm
way back when, chexfan had noted that if you changed your seat assignment in envoy class on upgrades (old O class), that you might luckily get a European gate agent who didnt exactly know how to do it, and would do it by changing to J-class. I got a few extra tier mile bumps that way - and it took us a while to figure out how it happened.
For me, it used to work the other way around. I would fly Envoy booked in B using space positive upgrades; the agents at PHL would give me old C class, with 200% EQMs, and the agents in Europe would assign it as R (with 150% EQMs at the time because the ticket was booked in B). I don't know if they still do that (and don't plan to find out).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.