Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pricing and availability still very unreliable on web site (3/7)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP 11+yrs now just Silver as a Million Mile FlyerHH-Diamond, PC-Plat, Choice-Gold, Marriott- Plat
Pricing and availability still very unreliable on web site (3/7)

I'll try to tell the story without 10,000 words

I looked yesterday to book an associate on a trip with me next week that was LYH-CLT-PHX-PDX and back the same route. So the "from-to" was LYH-PDX.

Numerous flight choices came up at about $550 which was the 7 day fare.

I could not book it until today, had to confirm that he could go.

Now when I looked today the same itinerary (still 7+ days out) priced at $1538, or it did two hours ago. When I looked five minutes ago it was $1109. Also today about half the possible flights show sold out. Not a one was sold out yesterday. So this is not a case where the one itinerary I wanted sold out, but according to the web site all possible discount and Y fares are now gone on numerous flights driving the pricing up to full Y or First class pricing no matter what flights I select.

I find it highly unlikely that 50% of the flights on this route on those days sold out in one day. CP checked with inventory control and they claimed that they had no seats. I tried hard to give this business to US but just could not, even though I am convinced that the information is not valid. Either that or the real inventory from yesterday was not real at all and the new inventory today is now real. My guess is the first choice since how often are Saturday flights 50% or more sold out? Either way the web site information was inaccurate either yesterday or is today.

The bottom line is that I have booked him on Delta for the same $550 fare that I was seeing yesterday on US (Actually $539 on DL)

I was very frustrated since I wanted to give the business to US plus have him travel with me on about half of the segments.

I'm really wondering about the two other trips I had to book this week that were higher than I expected. I will take the advice that has been offered to watch those fares over the next week and see if they come back down to where I thought they should be, but if they give me the line that the lower fares were unavailable due to loading I will have no recourse. I sure hope that they get this straightened out real soon!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: None
Makes one wonder what the longer term cost in lost revenue might be. For those that both realize there's a problem and can wait to book to see if it gets resolved, it's an inconvenience. Bor those that either just see the fare and take it at face value or have to book before it gets straightened out, and end up going with another carrier, there'll surely be some effect on revenue.

Jim
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Makes one wonder what the longer term cost in lost revenue might be. For those that both realize there's a problem and can wait to book to see if it gets resolved, it's an inconvenience. Bor those that either just see the fare and take it at face value or have to book before it gets straightened out, and end up going with another carrier, there'll surely be some effect on revenue.

Jim
Jim,
It happened to me today! I was trying to change the outbound date on my Saturday reservation (MCI-CLT-PIT-CLT-MCI), when lo! and behold, it turned out cheaper to book on NW in FC than to change my original low-$ Y res on US. I gladly did so.
It they don't get this straightened out soon, those profit-margins are gonna shrink so fast the Tempe folks won't know what hit 'em.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As I was on the phone with my travel agent, I was hitting Search in the US website over and over, watching prices go from $322 to $570 to $950 to Sold Out, in random order, over a couple hours.

Nice way to run a business.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy

Jim

That's me. I need to book tickets now (ok past now). A couple of days ago, US Air was competitive with AA and DL price wise (actually the cheapest of the three by $30). Once I found out I couldn't get AA miles on the LH code share, I was going to switch over to US Air. But it's now about $250 more. Which incidentally is about the difference between a regular room and an executive room at the LON hotel I want to stay....so AA it is and I'll ask LH to give me the US Air miles on the ORD-MUC segment. The thing is I really wanted US Air for the CLT factor (no ORD). C'est la vie.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:04 pm

Looks like their website was updated in the last few hours, some prices are getting closer to normal.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Rontec
Looks like their website was updated in the last few hours, some prices are getting closer to normal.
I also just noticed their prices are decreasing at the 21 day point.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:21 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Just did a quick AA vs US comparison and without corp discounts US is $50 lower.

I don't fly based on cost, it's all about the UG. Given the US Gold debacle, I don't trust US to give me a F seat, so I will continue to book all of my flights with AA where I am 100% UG this year. And their rate is lower than US based on our corp discounts. US lost a ton of higher priced biz from me as a result of their Gold FUBAR. I am immune from cost due to my role, and I previously gave US a ton of business due to the UG policy. But since they created a huge problem that is FUBAR, I've fallen back on my permanent Plat EXP at AA.

I just can't understand why John Reistrup hasn't reacted to the HUGE Dividend Miles (I am calling it BM this year) problem that is FUBAR and addressed it one way or another.

I've given up on these guys. I am in PHX, but I usually fly to Dallas, Europe, Australia and occasionally Asia. AA will get me there one way or another.

Doug isn't listening to his Dad who has a ton of face to face customer relationship experience to impart to him. Doug Parker's backgrond

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.