Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no US transcons from BOS to LAX and SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
I guess I might be anti-AA, but I'm not a liar, and look forward to your apology for questioning my honesty. :P
I wasn't questioning your honesty, I was questioning whether you had the right plane in mind. I was basing my posts on the knowledge that all scheduled service SFO/LAX-JFK/BOS was on 762s, 763s, and 757s. Info was passed along to me that SOME of the MD80s had the range to make that, and it could have been subbed in for a broken 757. So for that, I do apologize.

Can we all hug now?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the by, a quick sweep over to the MD-80 information section of airliners.net shows that the MD-80 has a range of 2920 nautical miles fully loaded, and WebFlyer indicates that the distance between BOS and SFO is about 2700 nautical miles. If it was one of the MD-87s, it has a range of almost 3,000 NMs.

Both could make the eastbound journey without any weight restriction at all and without the aid of tailwinds -- and this plane was far from full.
The numbers above are statute miles, not nautical miles.

A long time ago, AA did actually schedule some eastbound transcons with MD-80s; today, their appearance would be as a substitute aircraft for a mechanical.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: None
But anyway. . .
Well, off the top of my head Star carriers other than UA/US serve these East Coast markets - BOS, JFK/EWR, PHL, IAD, BWI, CLT, ATL, MCO, TPA, and MIA. Eliminate [B]all[B] domestic U.S. feed and the result would hardly be to "shut the Star Alliance out of the East coast almost entirely."

I hate to take the time and space for the lengthy list of cities that would be added from just UA's IAD hub, but can if you insist.

Jim
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:37 pm

Christ this thread is going downhill every single moment. FrequentHopper, you must understand we cannot go on arguing over your desire of new BOS- West Coast service. Sure everyone would like to see a new route, I have high hopes of PHL-WAW route, but I know its not hapenning anytime soon. (Though I will say PHL-WAW is more realistic than BOS-West Coast on US). You have said yourself earlier that UA/US codeshare. So apply that scenario to the fact that UA/US codeshare on UA's routes into BOS and onward on US Airways focus flights from BOS to places like MVY, BUF, Preque Isle and so forth.

Furthermore, US will not start new service because you travel the route alot and feel that US would fit there. Thats why US has connections throughout cities like PHL, PHX, LAS, PIT and CLT- and they are convenient ones that take the least amount of time and are in the same direction as your final destination is. Also, what aircraft would you suggest on BOS-West Coast? You see that from PHL the 321, 320 and 319 all sometimes need fuelstops. BOS is an additional 45mins-1hr of flying which would make the situation even worse.

I can't comment on the Super MD80 AA Eastbound comment as I stay away from AA as far as I can, but the "blech" remark couldn't have been better stated about the that plane.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Christ this thread is going downhill every single moment. FrequentHopper, you must understand we cannot go on arguing over your desire of new BOS- West Coast service. Sure everyone would like to see a new route, I have high hopes of PHL-WAW route, but I know its not hapenning anytime soon. (Though I will say PHL-WAW is more realistic than BOS-West Coast on US). You have said yourself earlier that UA/US codeshare. So apply that scenario to the fact that UA/US codeshare on UA's routes into BOS and onward on US Airways focus flights from BOS to places like MVY, BUF, Preque Isle and so forth.

Furthermore, US will not start new service because you travel the route alot and feel that US would fit there. Thats why US has connections throughout cities like PHL, PHX, LAS, PIT and CLT- and they are convenient ones that take the least amount of time and are in the same direction as your final destination is. Also, what aircraft would you suggest on BOS-West Coast? You see that from PHL the 321, 320 and 319 all sometimes need fuelstops. BOS is an additional 45mins-1hr of flying which would make the situation even worse.

I can't comment on the Super MD80 AA Eastbound comment as I stay away from AA as far as I can, but the "blech" remark couldn't have been better stated about the that plane.
King-O....Be nice man
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by usa18dca
King-O....Be nice man
I am being nice.

Frequent Hopper makes a couple of valid points and his thread is not one that should be marked for deletion or anything- I've never said that. There is nothing wrong with it at all, but the redundancy is a bit overwhelming over time. And some of the remarks are blatantly incorrect about STAR alliance. US Airways is a decent asset to STAR in terms of their East Coast Service and the gap in the Caribbean that US Airways fills; however to portray Star Alliance being wiped out of the East Coast without US is clearly overdoing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.