Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parker to Become a One-Day "Prison Preferred" Member

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:15 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by Nicksta
I was actually impressed that, against the advice of his attorney (a very good one at that), he pleaded guilty and will serve the time within a month. For once, we see the executive own up and there's little way to blow it out of proportion now. It was smart and mature; the news will pass quickly and the airline will be better for it.
Of course he pled it out--he refused to blow and presumably had blood drawn that registered over the legal limit. I don't know about AZ, but most cops I know who run DUI/DWI patrols have the thing down to a science--if you are drunk, they are going to follow a process that's virtually lawyer-proof.

With that said, I think the real reason he pled it out is this: by doing so, he knows what the sentence will be. If he runs it to/thru trial and loses, it's up to the judge. That could be bad for Doogie, especially given his apparent penchant for being caught driving after imbibing......
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA MM
schadenfreude

What's interesting about this thread is that apparently only one poster lives in Arizona, and he got it right. DP is going through exactly what everyone else who gets nailed in AZ for a DUI does (except for some who get an expensive lawyer to try to get them off - usually because they've had multiple DUI's). He gets to spend a day at Sheriff Joe's Tent City.

No, I haven't personally been to Tent City, but I know that there but for the grace of God go I. I hope future posts on this subject will be limited to those by FTers who are perfect. For my part, I give him credit for taking his medicine like a man.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:20 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by USAflyer
Even though he was convicted of DWI before, this probably counts as the first offense. Usually, DWI convictions are expunged after ten years.

In AZ they only use DUIs in the prior 7 years as aggravating factors. It gets pretty bad even though there was only one prior, the second in 7 years is pretty brutal with the fines/sanctions. 3rd in 7 earns you a new nickname..... felon.

They dont "expunge" them, we can still see the prior convictions in criminal history checks..... but they just dont get used against you in a conviction.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:27 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Of course he pled it out--he refused to blow
No, he refused a PBT... which you can do.

and presumably had blood drawn that registered over the legal limit.

Right, Scottsdale, like other jurisdictions here like where I work do blood draws on DUIs

I don't know about AZ, but most cops I know who run DUI/DWI patrols have the thing down to a science--if you are drunk, they are going to follow a process that's virtually lawyer-proof.

Oh yea, its pretty hard to beat them anymore.

The lawyer you call with the pretty full page color ad in the phonebook will tell you a bunch of crap to get a few grand out of you... then get you the same deal you can get without him. It's funny getting 'interviewed' by one of these law firms. They have an 'investigator' call you and read back the report you have in your hand word for word (pretty much) and then they charge the client money for "interviewing " the officer........... its a money making deal . thats it.

With that said, I think the real reason he pled it out is this: by doing so, he knows what the sentence will be. If he runs it to/thru trial and loses, it's up to the judge. That could be bad for Doogie, especially given his apparent penchant for being caught driving after imbibing

It usually goes on alcohol level, the higher it goes the more likelihood you get more days in jail. The fines/fees are usually the same.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tritgr
What's interesting about this thread is that apparently only one poster lives in Arizona, and he got it right. DP is going through exactly what everyone else who gets nailed in AZ for a DUI does (except for some who get an expensive lawyer to try to get them off - usually because they've had multiple DUI's). He gets to spend a day at Sheriff Joe's Tent City.

No, I haven't personally been to Tent City, but I know that there but for the grace of God go I. I hope future posts on this subject will be limited to those by FTers who are perfect. For my part, I give him credit for taking his medicine like a man.

That was me. Im just west of you about 20 miles.

Tent city is a big place. They have multiple compounds... Names like "IN TENTS" and the compound thats my favorite "CON TENTS"....

Ive been in there, not as a guest..... I got to leave.....

Yea, hiring Larry Kazan had to set him back a big chunk of change... but then to be told... take the deal has to hurt. Maybe I can get the DO's to serve his meals as a funbox.... but Id still rather have that than the ladmo bags they give the guys in the jail. Sometimes its not bad... like peanut butter sandwiches but the worst had to be the ostrich burgers or the green balogna.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Intrepid
What makes you think he'll get to keep his job long enough to make those changes?
He had his portrait on CNN tonight. He didn't wear his tuxedo.
If you or I did something like that we would be gone in a minute. Too often, CEOs are like kings or gods. I would have given him a second chance, but I think that he manged the merger so poorly that he should be fired immediately.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:17 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
"Run US for a Day" Tempe Dinner Mar. 15?

Crazy idea: how about a Tempe get together Mar. 15, just because? I was thinking about it earlier today, with Spring Training coming and all.

Venue: Macayos Depot Cantina? They had an ample sized room for the last PHX Do dinner. 6:30ish?

How about a prize for the person with the best "New U" idea presented at the dinner?

Thoughts?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:52 am

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
So another convicted felon runs a major US company... oh lovely
Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:39 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
Thoughts?
A DoUgIe Do..... I love it.....
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allen074
So another convicted felon runs a major US company... oh lovely

It's actually a misdemeanor, which I don't think has any legal ramifications for running a major US corporation.

Look, many people get joy in seeing "the mighty" take a tumble, but it's hard for me to see how any US Airways customers would benefit from Parker's departure. The guy is one of the few "geniuses" in the business -- which should be obvious to anyone who has seen the walking-dead US Airways reborn as the nation's most profitable legacy airline.

I would note that the # 2 guy at USAirways -- Parker's long-time right-hand man Scott Kirby -- appears at least equally talented, and shares a similar vision to Parker. So Parker's departure would be very unlikely to trigger any sort of major strategy change. Indeed, Kirby is probably more "numbers" driven than Parker, something that could lead to fewer ff perks if they don't improve the bottom line.

I just remember all the grief that Continental management has gotten on flyertalk over the years as they built what -- seems obvious to me at least -- the best US airline. This business requires some hard-nosed financial decisions, which somtimes means cutting back on ff benefits that don't generate the sufficient additional revenue to pay for them. This seems to be particularly the case when you turn around a bankrupt airline that pretty much had to give away its product to woo customers. I guess it's understandable to be unhappy when some benefits are taken away, but I think most customers benefit in the long run when the underlying business becomes strong enough to buy new airplanes, fly new routes, pay its employees salaries and invest in the necessary infrastructure.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: US Airways Platinum
Good post iahphx

^ Good post. You bring up some excellent points. Profits speak. We'll see what happens next, but I do hope the benefits don't continue to go away.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by Tritgr
The man is a convicted (multiple time) drunken driver. In my eyes he gets no credit for "taking it like a man". On March 16th, we will probably hear/see that he has entered a rehab center somewhere. Shall we credit him for that also?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:09 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by iahphx
It's actually a misdemeanor, which I don't think has any legal ramifications for running a major US corporation.
Actually, it does, particularly if there are future dismissals of unionized folks over a DUI where it's a company HR decision and not contractual.

Look, many people get joy in seeing "the mighty" take a tumble, but it's hard for me to see how any US Airways customers would benefit from Parker's departure. The guy is one of the few "geniuses" in the business -- which should be obvious to anyone who has seen the walking-dead US Airways reborn as the nation's most profitable legacy airline.
Why do you continue to jump into threads (here and in the Delta forum) and assert this, when it's simply not true?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
He did the crime and now he's doing the time.

He doesn't get extra points for not hiding behind attorneys for years because not doing that is exactly the right thing TO do.

As with most criminals, after he does the time/fine he should be allowed to go on with his life as usual. He didn't get away with anything, and the punishment that we as society have decided is appropriate was given to him.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Still would prefer to have him on the road with me than a Scottsdale blond Barbie yakking on a cell phone in her Surburban.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.