Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding as a Preferred?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
They possibly can change the announcement for zones 1 and 2.. maybe say "We will now continue with our pre-boarding, we will now board zone 1 which is our Chairman, Platinum's, and Golds and our Star Alliance Gold members. All other Prefereds (Silver and *Silver) along with our Credit Card Holders will board next in Zone 2. Right now, Zone 1 only).

I think they could make it easier.. but alas, US does not care about elites...
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:02 am

My UsAirways Visa Sig card says that I can get "early boarding". I have never had to use it since I have only flown FC since getting it. If I were to need it, when would I board ?? With FC ?? Anyone have any experience with this ??
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: US GP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ezron
My UsAirways Visa Sig card says that I can get "early boarding". I have never had to use it since I have only flown FC since getting it. If I were to need it, when would I board ?? With FC ?? Anyone have any experience with this ??
US credit cards board in Zone 2 (along w/ Silver Preferred). As long as your DM number is linked both the card account and to your reservation, then Zone 2 should print on the BP and it should also read "Signature." However, for whatever reason, my BP sometimes didn't indicate Zone 2 - Signature (before I become SP -> GP) but you can still board w/ zone 2 just by flashing your credit card (flash quickly if you're paranoid about keeping it out in the open )
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-Plat
Originally Posted by Mhttoanywhere
And then again, my last flight they called zone 1 and the person ahead of me was zone 5. The ga looked at the person but said nothing.
So they didn't "embarass" them, but did embarass the CP poster who was told to wait as they were not in FC.
I agree, consistency is needed.
That's exactly the point here, the CP's embarrassment inflicted by the gate agent was caused by the constant inconsistency of US. No big deal, spouse is over it now. But, now due to situation I almost want to ask the gate agents how they are going to board the flight since it's done differently depending on who the agent happens to be. I wonder if they had preferreds asking them this question prior to every flight, would they get the hint and decide to do it right each time? I highly doubt it.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 5:15 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by tmann0619
US credit cards board in Zone 2 (along w/ Silver Preferred). As long as your DM number is linked both the card account and to your reservation, then Zone 2 should print on the BP and it should also read "Signature." However, for whatever reason, my BP sometimes didn't indicate Zone 2 - Signature (before I become SP -> GP) but you can still board w/ zone 2 just by flashing your credit card (flash quickly if you're paranoid about keeping it out in the open )
The BP will only show signature if you have a US PNR (all letters) if you have an HP PNR (letters and numbers) it dosent show.

The differences between US and HP still are out there for boarding. They dont all use a standard preboard, zone 1, 2, etc.

I dont enjoy the status most of you have (Ive even asked if someone was not using their silver nomination to consider nominating me) but I do have the signature card.

Ive stood there and waited for the appropriate announcement to board but they seem to leave off the card holders.

I emailed US and got this response:

Please accept my sincere apology for any confusion regarding our boarding
policy for Signature Visa cardholders.

As a courtesy, US Airways Signature Visa cardholders are invited to preboard
with our elite level frequent flyers and First Class customers.

I have 3 kids and getting on earlier gives me a chance to get them to sit down so others can get by.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
GA is KING

I want that GA on all my flights. I want to board when I am called. I hate it when 36 people get up to board when ANY accounment to board. People hear we are BOARDING and rush the stage They DO NOT hear Zone 1 or small children and special assistant. I was in PHL on 1-24 PHL-PBI. They asked for families with small children and 26 people rushed the gate B24. Most know this gate is small to start with. I had ask or tell (take your pick) some guy to let a family with small kids thourgh to pre board. I guess I should know I am going back to PBI and those folks don't give a.................

Last edited by SAnger3494; Jan 27, 2007 at 8:36 am
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:05 am

People rushing the gate really gets on my nerves. On a flight last week a guy was standing in my way to board, he was a zone 5! If you are a zone other than the one called, you should not be standing in front of the door, you should be standing off to the side, especially if you are below zone 2 when boarding starts.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Funny how some people are. Even though I am 34, I look a lot younger. And when I fly PHL-FLL, I dress very very casual. I wear sandals, if possible. I've had people in zones 2,3,4, et cetera tell me that my zone hasn't been announced. Yet, the people (this happened separately - twice this past summer) never saw my BP. Apparently, somehow they can tell just by looking at me that I don't belong in zone 1. They were blocking my way to the gate. I said excuse me, and they didn't move. I said it again, and that's when I got the explanation that my zone (they didn't know what zone I was in) wasn't called. Why do people assume such things based on looks alone? One was a man in a business suit and one a woman w/ dress pants and a jacket.

I was rude back to them, and asked them if they were a gate agent for the airline. They said no, and I said, I'll let the GA make the determination if I am allowed to board w/ zone 1. Of course I did, and gave nasty looks to those as they headed to Y, while I was seated in F.

Sometimes following boarding procedures isn't the fault of GAs, it's the fault of PAX.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
I wished US had a special boarding area for elites like CO, it sux trying to fight through pax to get on.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
i could not agree more with photog....im 25 and a lowly silver but i get the look of death from people all the time when i board with Zone 1. I was doing a CLT-PHL late night leg and this dude (who thought his S*** smelled so good i was to wipe it with golden toilet tissue) just about knocked me over to get on board. Little did he know that I was 2C and he was 2A......he just stared out the window the entire time after sitting down and in flight.....it was classic, my friends....

Us young bucks pay for F and get our preferred upgrades like the rest and i whole heartedly agree that US should adopt the CO elite boarding area!
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by photog72
Sometimes following boarding procedures isn't the fault of GAs, it's the fault of PAX.
It may not be the fault of that specific GA but it's the fault of the airline and the fault of GAs in general.

If those not boarding appropriately are sent back each and every time, they would stop coming forward and crowding the gate in the first place.

Lazy GAs who don't care, timid GAs afraid of confrontation, pressured GAs trying to get a flight out on time, angry GAs who resent VFF and FC pax etc. etc. only serve to re-enforce the bad behavior when they let anyone bold enough to "mis-board" to do so.

Those who rush the gate and board when they shouldn't do so because they've learned that they can. The success of their rule breaking is rewarded by the GA's--it's as simple as that.

If you want rules followed, they have to be consistently enforced. Unfortunately, this is not a rule that this airline cares about having followed.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by milesfinder
But, now due to situation I almost want to ask the gate agents how they are going to board the flight since it's done differently depending on who the agent happens to be. I wonder if they had preferreds asking them this question prior to every flight, would they get the hint and decide to do it right each time? I highly doubt it.
OR...you could just listen the boarding instructions when they are broadcasted to everyone. That's why they give them--so you know the expectations.

Frankly, I'm rather surprised to hear about all this confusion. I can't recall the last time when a GA didn't just call zones 1 and 2 at the same time, including on a recent flight to FCO on the 333. It was chaos. They clearly don't care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.