Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding as a Preferred?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-Plat
Thumbs down Boarding as a Preferred?

My spouse, who is Chairman Preferred was not allowed to board with FC today in PHX. Granted not seated in FC, but boarding pass clearly stated "Chairman". Pretty embarrassing to be turned away at the gate and told to wait until general boarding.

I sure wish we could get some "consistency" in regards to boarding. Either Preferred members are going to pre-board, board with FC, or just board with zone 1. It doesn't matter to me which one, I'd just like to know what to expect when I fly. It's different each time. It seems to depend on which gate agent is operating the flight, not just the departure city.

Does anyone know what the boarding guidelines are going to be when the Preferred status changes happen and the Shares/Sabres systems merge in March?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
While I have never seen US just board FC, in my experience they always specifically identify each group that is allowed to board. i.e. "First class and Chairman’s preferred" "Zone 1 and Zone 2" "Only Zone 1"

But you're right, there does need to be consistency!! I've seen everything from boarding Zone 1 and Zone 2 at the same time on a 757 or A321 to boarding just Zone 1 on a half full Dash-8.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
A flight last week boarded First Class (two people got on) and then said "FC, CP, Zone 1, Zone 2, Zone 3". This was a [mostly] full flight, boarding right on time, with no motivation to push early. Just a GA who didn't care.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
In my experience, on the west side they're typically very consistent about this -- and consistent with what I understand to be the US policy: Pre-boarding is those with small children, those who need extra time and first class passengers only. Then comes Zone 1, which includes all elites who aren't in F, including CP's.

On the east side, in my many flights recently it's been all over the board, but most typical is pre-boarding of those with children & who extra time only. Then, first class and Zone 1 (and often Zone 2 at the same time). But, there's very little consistency in even that.

If your experience is predominately one side or the other, you'll more than likely be surprised by what you encounter on the other.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Gold
My experience this week:

3 flights in the West (PHX 2x and SAN) all three First class and people needing axtra assistance. Then Zone 1, then 2 etc.

On East side: All three Extra assistance, then zones 1&2.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Since the boarding procedures are inconsistence, I guess the consensus is to wait for the announcement rather than risk the embarrassment of being turned away.

It's really too bad since the boarding might go faster and more flights may go out on time if the passengers knew what to expect. The gate agents' jobs might be easier if they all followed the same "script".

The FAs would probably appreciate it as well if they knew when to expect which group of passengers on the aircraft. Heck, it may even prompt them to provide the pre-departure beverage in FC if they knew they would have time to do it.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: US GP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I understand to be the US policy: Pre-boarding is those with small children, those who need extra time and first class passengers only. Then comes Zone 1, which includes all elites who aren't in F, including CP's.
I think you've got the order right, but note that not all elites are Zone 1 --- SP is Zone 2.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: US CP
I was on a flight in CLT last week that came from somwhere else and they first boarded the people who were on the original segment before first or zone 1? How does that help expedite the boarding process?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by TAHO
I was on a flight in CLT last week that came from somwhere else and they first boarded the people who were on the original segment before first or zone 1? How does that help expedite the boarding process?
They don't need to store bags. You can load 100+ people into a plane in less than 5 minutes if they just go to their seats and sit.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tmann0619
I think you've got the order right, but note that not all elites are Zone 1 --- SP is Zone 2.
That always threw me when I was silver. My boarding pass said Zone 2, but they called for FC, DM preferred, and Zone 1. Silver is still preferred, so I boarded without any problems.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:15 pm

When I flew PHX-PIT (east) last week, they announced "first class zone 1". Since I was zone 1 but not first class, I didn't get in line. But then they announced zone 2, so I guess I should have. It wasn't a big deal, I was in exit row, plenty of overhead room in that area.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver, AmEx MR
I fly West often enough to know this is typically an America West thing...

...almost all HP-metal flights I take through Las Vegas or Pheonix board as such:

1) Special assistance/children (sometimes it's "young children", "children under X", or "infants")
2) First Class cabin

(or sometimes 1+2 together)

3) Zone 1
4) Zone 2
...etc.

This is NOT the way it is supposed to work. Chairman's are allowed to board anytime - at their leisure.

Your FA was mistaken.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PitHokie
...This is NOT the way it is supposed to work. Chairman's are allowed to board anytime - at their leisure.
The last policy statement I heard about put CP's in the second group -- after specials and F, not with them.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PitHokie
...almost all HP-metal flights I take through Las Vegas or Pheonix board as such:

1) Special assistance/children (sometimes it's "young children", "children under X", or "infants")
2) First Class cabin

(or sometimes 1+2 together)

3) Zone 1
4) Zone 2
...etc.

This is NOT the way it is supposed to work. Chairman's are allowed to board anytime - at their leisure.

Your FA was mistaken.
Thanks for the feedback, I was under the same impression.

By the way, spouse also told me there was some type of lead agent at the gate who agreed with the gate agent and advised if not seated in FC, CP would have to board during general boarding. Not that it is a huge deal, we would just appreciate some consistency.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:43 am

Programs: us cp, delta gold, marriott silver, hyatt gold, starwood gold.
And then again, my last flight they called zone 1 and the person ahead of me was zone 5. The ga looked at the person but said nothing.
So they didn't "embarass" them, but did embarass the CP poster who was told to wait as they were not in FC.
I agree, consistency is needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.