Wiki Posts
Search

Envoy to LGW and Gatwick Express

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Envoy to LGW and Gatwick Express

I recall that US used to offer complimentary seats on the Gatwick Express to those pax who purchase an Envoy tix. Is this still the case, or does one simply receive a Fast track ticket for immigration and a lounge pass in arrivals ? (as do all Envoy pax )

Barry
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
I recall that US used to offer complimentary seats on the Gatwick Express to those pax who purchase an Envoy tix. Is this still the case, or does one simply receive a Fast track ticket for immigration and a lounge pass in arrivals ?
I believe the free ticket on Gatwick Express went out a few years ago. However, the arrivals lounge is great place to go get freshened up before venturing into the city.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:34 pm

Programs: US Platinum, DL GM
I flew to Gatwick in Envoy this past Jan. No free ticket for the Gatwick Express was given.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:48 pm

If you have purchased a full Envoy fare (ie not an upgrade or an award ticket) you can get a free voucher for the Gatwick Express from the ticket counter in Zone J, South Terminal, which is right next to the platform for the Gatwick Express to London Victoria.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by SleepPHL
I flew to Gatwick in Envoy this past Jan. No free ticket for the Gatwick Express was given.
It won't be 'given'. You need to go to the ticket desk and ask for it. As per my other post, you are entitled to a free ticket if you have bought a full Envoy fare, not an upgrade or award.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Warbo.

I assume that you're referring to the US Air service counter which faces the platforms and not the adjacent check-in stations that one uses when flying out. If you're booked paid Envoy round trip, can you also get a voucher for the Victoria to LGW return?

Another question for you Warbo.

I'll be traveling to LGW with my 87 year old father in a few weeks. He's still reasonably spry and mobile, but I also want to go easy on him & cut down some of the airport walking. I know that I can ask the gate people to have a WC availble for him when we arrive LGW from PHL.

My concern is the return home and the potentially longer check-in lines and queuing times. Where can we get a WC when we arrive at LGW via the Gatwick Express? Are they availble on platform as you debark the train or does one go upstairs to US Air to find one? If the preferred queue waiting times and fast track lines move reasonably well, he would be OK without the chair; I'm just trying to anticipate situations.

Barry
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
Thanks for the info Warbo.

I assume that you're referring to the US Air service counter which faces the platforms and not the adjacent check-in stations that one uses when flying out. If you're booked paid Envoy round trip, can you also get a voucher for the Victoria to LGW return?

Another question for you Warbo.

I'll be traveling to LGW with my 87 year old father in a few weeks. He's still reasonably spry and mobile, but I also want to go easy on him & cut down some of the airport walking. I know that I can ask the gate people to have a WC availble for him when we arrive LGW from PHL.

My concern is the return home and the potentially longer check-in lines and queuing times. Where can we get a WC when we arrive at LGW via the Gatwick Express? Are they availble on platform as you debark the train or does one go upstairs to US Air to find one? If the preferred queue waiting times and fast track lines move reasonably well, he would be OK without the chair; I'm just trying to anticipate situations.

Barry
You have to excuse my lack of knowledge here as I work for Res in Liverpool and have only been to LGW once or twice. I do seem to remember that there are WC's adjacent to the Gatwick Express platforms in South Terminal. There are also WC's in the South Terminal which are only a couple of minutes' walk away. Don't hang me if I'm wrong, but I remember there being decent WC's on the Gatwick Express train itself also...

Also, if your father needs any assistance walking long distances etc., just call Res and ask for a Meet and Assist request, which means he can be taken to the gate in an electric cart.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:10 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I thought they were going to kill the dedicated express to Gatwick and add local trains to appease the commuters?

I've not been thru LGW since last year, so it's sheer curiosity on my part.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:13 am

Programs: AA EP
I think warbo is talking about water closets, and jersey is talking about wheelchairs!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I thought they were going to kill the dedicated express to Gatwick and add local trains to appease the commuters?

I've not been thru LGW since last year, so it's sheer curiosity on my part.
Looks like the express service is still up and running as of the current moment.

http://www.gatwickexpress.co.uk/

BTW, looks like strikes this weekend and at the end of September.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:41 am
Original Poster

. . . I think warbo is talking about water closets, and jersey is talking about wheelchairs! . . .

Yes, I think that things got lost in translation. That's my fault as I work in hospital and WC is an abbreviation that we often use for wheel chair. I should have been more specific as wc does indeed mean something else in Europe.

On the other hand, it's always good to know where a WC is as you never know when the urge will hit.

This trip presents some new paradigms for me as the last time my father and I travel together, it was to Finland and he was a mere 80 years old and much more spry, energetic, & independent. Knowing him, he'll insist on walking all the way, but I'm taking into account that he is slowing down a bit. I want him to save his energy for the sights in London.

Barry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.