Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

Still no on Republic.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:02 pm

I've had five flights on Republic in the last 6 weeks, all from DCA, and had a complete mixed bag in terms of this. On an MHT flight they said nothing - no announcement either way - and so people used them without any word from the FAs. On my first CHS tripight we had to turn them off on the way down, on the way back the FA got up and shut off the safety announcement right about the time it was saying to turn them off - was sitting in 2A and it looked like he either shut it off or held a button to mute it? Then on a CHS flight a week later they had an announcement about knowing the FAA has made a change but it not having been approved yet.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Still no on Republic.
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
I've had five flights on Republic in the last 6 weeks, all from DCA, and had a complete mixed bag in terms of this. On an MHT flight they said nothing - no announcement either way - and so people used them without any word from the FAs. On my first CHS tripight we had to turn them off on the way down, on the way back the FA got up and shut off the safety announcement right about the time it was saying to turn them off - was sitting in 2A and it looked like he either shut it off or held a button to mute it? Then on a CHS flight a week later they had an announcement about knowing the FAA has made a change but it not having been approved yet.
Flight from PVD to DCA on monday no, DCA to CHS today, yes. I don't know what the deal is with Republic.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: None
The last list of approved carriers I've seen is 3 weeks old but at that time (11/22/13) only Air Wisconsin and Skywest (only on CRJs) were approved. But that was within about 2-3 weeks of the rule change becoming effective, so hopefully more of the regional carriers will have approval by the end of the year.

Jim
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:24 pm

Was just going to update this, DCA to MHT today, approved for use at all times. In fact, they went through the trouble of announcing the new policy four times. FA in first had a printout that he read each time, said they hadn't had time to update the recorded announcements yet.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat

Republic is now approved for gate to gate electronics. I asked my FA today IND-PHL after she read through a very thorough/long script on the new policy, and she said the new materials had just been distributed in the past few days with an effective date of 12/11.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
she read through a very thorough/long script on the new policy
It'd be interesting to know if part of the delay was due to getting each of their mainline partners to sign off on the verbiage. I haven't been on a US flight since the PED policy changed but from posts here it seems that the announcement isn't that long or involved.

Jim
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
It'd be interesting to know if part of the delay was due to getting each of their mainline partners to sign off on the verbiage. I haven't been on a US flight since the PED policy changed but from posts here it seems that the announcement isn't that long or involved.

Jim
I found out after my last post that today was actually my FA's first full day on the job after graduating from training, so she was using her script for just about every announcement, not just the new PED one. If nothing else, that confirms that the version I heard was the true "official" one for Republic. It was definitely much more thorough than the versions I've heard on mainline or the other USx carriers, but I assume I'm always hearing a paraphrased version of any announcement 99% of the time. I can't blame FA's for coming up with their own routines, as long as it gets the correct message across.

IMHO, the way the official version was written was so convoluted and overly wordy that it was a little tough to follow... and that was before I had started my PDB. I wonder if they had to include phrases in that one script to appease all the different airlines they operate as, or if Republic is allowed to have a unique policy/script for each brand.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
I wonder if they had to include phrases in that one script to appease all the different airlines they operate as, or if Republic is allowed to have a unique policy/script for each brand.
No idea but I would assume that the mainline partner would prefer some consistency in the announcements (all, not just PED use).

A slightly different slant - the info given to US mainline FAs (not the PA script) is a lot more complex than a simple "use PEDs from gate to gate."

Jim
Old Dec 20, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver

Piedmont received approval on 12/19! Finally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.