Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:15 pm

I have seen a preview of the pilot memo on this issue.

Phones will have to be switched to airplane mode when the doors are closed.

The memo says that the wifi connection can be used continuously but it doesn't address any technical difficulties with operations below 10,000ft.

Items heavier than 2.0 LBS will have to be stowed for take-off and landing.

Items less than 2.0 LBS can be used but must be secured. (i.e. in the passengers' hands)

PED cords and accessories may not impede emergency egress.

The only exception to the above is that when CAT II or CAT III operations (or any operation requiring an auto-landing) is anticipated all devices must be switched off below 10,000MSL.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:27 pm

Just got an email from AFA, guess its official! Yay!!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:54 pm

PEDs under 2 pounds can be used in airplane mode gate to gate.
Anything over 2 pounds must be stowed under the seat or o/h for taxi, takeoff and landing.
New rules will apply within the 50 U.S. states.
Headphones must be removed, books, newspapers and PEDs put down and complete attention given during exit row briefing
Flights departing or arriving at international destination abide by old rules
When flying a low visibility approach all devices must be turned off below 10,000
These are just a few highlights, I'm sure someone will post the official press release.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by gruss
But the important question is will they tell us we have to go to airplane mode when the door closes or BEFORE the door closes?
DL implemented it on my 11/01 flights PHL-DFW and DFW-LAS (A319 and 757-300). They made the announcement about airplane mode before they closed the door, but said it had to be done as soon as the door was closed. YMMV with other airlines or other FAs.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
PEDs under 2 pounds can be used in airplane mode gate to gate.
Anything over 2 pounds must be stowed under the seat or o/h for taxi, takeoff and landing.
New rules will apply within the 50 U.S. states.
Headphones must be removed, books, newspapers and PEDs put down and complete attention given during exit row briefing
Flights departing or arriving at international destination abide by old rules
When flying a low visibility approach all devices must be turned off below 10,000
These are just a few highlights, I'm sure someone will post the official press release.
Flight from PHX-DFW this afternoon, I wasn't told to shut off the iPad for landing and didn't really realize it until the landing gear went down. FA walked through several times and never said to power down.

I'm guessing either it's in full effect or the FA's are tired of fighting with the passengers like my earlier flight PHL-PHX.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: None
UA has announced that they've received approval (mainline, UAX later), becoming the 4th carrier that I know of - AA, DL, UA, B6.

Jim
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:03 pm

Ours goes into effect at midnight!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:17 pm

When looking up the dinner selections westbound from CLT, I noticed that the company has put out a notice to FAs that US has received approval for "gate to gate" use of PEDs. There are some differences from DL's policies that have already been published.

- passengers must put down, but not turn off, PEDs for FA briefings.

- Small PEDs can be used gate to gate but those over 2 lbs must be stowed for taxi, takeoff and landing. Laptop use is unchanged.

- WiFi use is unchanged

- must turn off and stow PEDs upon request of the cockpit in low visibility conditions (presumable for takeoff and landing) and if crew suspects PED interference with aircraft electronics.

USX to follow by the end of this year.

Jim

- for international flights: arriving at foreign airport requires PEDs to be off and stowed below 10,000', departing foreign airport PEDs to be off and stowed until above 10,000'.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Good News, now we need Republic, Most of my flights through the end of the year are on them.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Ours goes into effect at midnight!
Yes, here's (one of) the story:
http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/no...licy-thursday/

US Airways to start new electronics policy Thursday

US Airways today became the latest airline to receive FAA approval to begin implementing the new policy on in-flight electronic devices.

Beginning at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, the Tempe airline’s passengers will be able to keep their computer tablets, e-readers, music players, smartphones (on airplane mode) and other gadgets on throughout flights within the United States. Previously, passengers had to shut off and stow such devices during taxi, takeoff and landing.

Laptops and other heavy devices must still be stowed....
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
On three flights I had today...

BOS-DCA Shuttle - A319 - "The FAA has approved use, but US is still waiting for it's certification, so please power off all devices."
DCA-CLT - A319 - "The use of portable electronic devices is now approved from gate to gate. Please put devices like cell phones in airplane mode."
CLT-LAX - A321 - "Please turn off all electronic devices." (no different than before)
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:41 am

Since earlier I posted something to the effect that I didn't expect approval right away I'll admit to being surprised at how quickly the mainline carriers are getting the change into place. The must have been working toward approval since at latest the committee that recommended the changes issuing it's report. Usually the FAA, like many government agencies, moves with the speed of molasses on a cold winter day but this change seems to have proceeded through the regulatory process at warp speed.

Jim
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:25 am

Sitting on the Tarmac now and we were just told we could leave everything on in airplane mode. Flying w 3 yo twins and they're stoked to be able to watch a movie starting now.

Last edited by TimesTwo; Nov 7, 2013 at 5:26 am Reason: Stupid autocorrect
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Officially on the US Website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...ls/laptop.html

We're excited to announce that you can now use your portable electronic devices under 10,000 feet. That means smaller, handheld approved devices can be used in 'airplane mode' during all phases of flight - from taxi to takeoff to landing.

A few things to note about this new change:

• Smaller devices can be used on flights within the 50 United States
  • Larger devices, like full-size laptops, must be turned off and stowed during taxi, takeoff and landing
  • Headsets should be used for any audible portable device
  • This update only pertains to mainline flights, but we're working to implement this policy on our Express carriers as soon as possible

Phone calls are still limited and can be made prior to departure, while the aircraft is parked at the gate, after landing while taxiing to the gate or as advised by the flight crew.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
US Airways sent out a news release to media around 8:45 this morning as well. (It took our news editor 15 min. to crank out a story, however.)

It's important to note that the change only applies to mainline flights at this point. Only American (out of the four legacy carriers) announced a change for both mainline and regional.

US Airways Moves to Allow Personal Electronic Devices, All 4 Legacy Airlines Now On Board

With the announcement Thursday by US Airways that its passengers can use personal electronic devices during taxi, takeoff, and landing, all four so-called legacy airlines have adopted the new Federal Aviation Administration regulations that the agency announced last week…
<SNIP>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.