Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Sweet! This is such a little thing that will make a big improvement in quality of travel, IMO.

The other great thing about this is the speed at which this is happening...when I first heard rumors a few months ago that the FAA was going to rule on this by the end of the year, I figured even if they did, airlines wouldn't make any official changes until well into next year, at the earliest...so this is awesome!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by jspira
Only American (out of the four legacy carriers) announced a change for both mainline and regional.
Possibly an artifact of AA owning most of it's regional feed.

Jim
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
US Airways on Nov. 7 said "customers on US Airways domestic mainline flights will now be permitted to use small PEDs during all phases of flight." Its US Airways Express flights do not have FAA approval.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:34 pm

Correct - mainline went into effect at 12:01 am today. Express will take a while longer.

I was talking about what someone said about AA - that some express started the new rule at the same time as mainline. I replied that it was most likely that AA Eagle implemented the new rule at the same time as mainline since Eagle is owned by AMR. However, having now read AA's press release it appears that at least some of Eagle isn't using the new rule.

So it's apparently some of Eagle/Connection that don't have the new PED rule in place at AA yet and quite possibly Connection too.

Jim
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: Many
Confirmed today- Flight 644 STL-PHX.

It was glorious.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
PED use allowed on Republic 3410. Not sure if the FAs are winging it or republic got their approval today too. They tell is to pretend to follow along with the safety demo.

Must have been a fluke, today on Republic told we can't use PEDs until 10k.

Last edited by ellinj; Nov 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
portable electronics allowed below 10k feet

just received this email, and I liked it.. ^

News about portable electronics in flight
We're excited to announce that you can now use your portable electronic devices under 10,000 feet. That means smaller, handheld approved devices can be used in ‘airplane mode' during all phases of flight – from taxi to takeoff to landing.

To celebrate, we'll have a special edition of #SpotUS and you can win an iPad mini and more. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the details.

A few things to note about this new change:
• Smaller devices can be used on flights within the 50 United States
• Larger devices, like full-size laptops, must be turned off and stowed during taxi, takeoff and landing
• Headsets should be used for any audible portable device
• This update only pertains to mainline flights, but we’re working to implement this policy on our Express carriers as soon as possible
Phone calls are still limited and can be made prior to departure, while the aircraft is parked at the gate, after landing while taxiing to the gate or as advised by the flight crew.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:18 pm

Don't omit:

Customers should adhere to all crewmember safety instructions and refrain from using PEDs during pre-flight safety announcements.

During takeoff and landing, customers are now permitted to secure items lighter than two pounds by holding them (with the option of securing them in seatback pockets). PEDs heavier than two pounds must be secured for taxi, takeoff and landing in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of them.

NOTE: Tablets, by themselves, generally weigh between 1 and 2 pounds. However, if a cover is included - especially heavier covers containing a keyboard or gorilla glass screen cover - make sure your device is still under 2 pounds.

NOTE 2: The requirement for headphones when audio content is played makes seatback pocket storage problematic for takeoff and landing - the headphone cord is across the emergency egress path. So if your tablet weighs 2 pounds or more with cover it has to go in the OHB or underseat storage space w/ headphones not used.

Note 3: Bluetooth is allowed. I don't know if anyone makes bluetooth headphones but since no cord is involved the PED (under 2 pounds) can be stored in the seatback pocket and used for audio.

Note 4: The FAA requires passengers put down electronic devices, books and newspapers and provide their attention to crewmembers instructions. This includes removing headphones. Passengers are not required to power down their devices during the Exit Row Briefing.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Nov 7, 2013 at 6:26 pm
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Curious how they will enforce the 2 pound limit. I doubt they will be weighing tablets.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Note 3: Bluetooth is allowed. I don't know if anyone makes bluetooth headphones ...
Answer: Yes. Welcome to the Year 2013.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:02 am

Thanks - technology changes so fast that it's hard for those like me who only have a rudimentary need for any tech to keep up. I did know that lots of people make earpieces for one ear but didn't know for sure that anyone made bluetooth stereo headphones.

Jim
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Curious how they will enforce the 2 pound limit. I doubt they will be weighing tablets.
Not that I should advertise it, but I regularly just put my MacBook Air beside me on the seat. If I'm in F, I'll kind of wrap the blanket around it. I've never had an issue. When in F, I use the little cubbie for my headphones, keeps them handy.

I'll typically put my Kindle in the seatback pocket. With the case it is probably pushing the 2# limit (certainly if they cound the magazine, Skymall catalog, and all the other crp in the pocket), but I've never been questioned on it.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:58 am

The newer "ultra-thin" laptops at least push the 2 lb limit and most exceed it - especially with larger screens like the 13" Macbook Air instead of the 11". The 2 lb limit leaves an allowance for magazines/catalogs/etc that US already puts in the seatback pocket. Of course, nothing other than the policy prevents you from putting those magazines/catalogs/etc in the seatback pocket of an unused seat which allows the full 3 lb limit of seatback pocket to be available.

On the other hand, tablets pretty much all meet the "less than 2 lb" limit as long as not equipped with a relatively heavy cover/case or you want to secure headphones with them so can just be held. This category also includes smartphones, which are generally small enough to slip in a pocket or be held.

Exceed 3 lbs and the only choice is under the seat or OHB.

Jim
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Correct - mainline went into effect at 12:01 am today. Express will take a while longer.

I was talking about what someone said about AA - that some express started the new rule at the same time as mainline. I replied that it was most likely that AA Eagle implemented the new rule at the same time as mainline since Eagle is owned by AMR. However, having now read AA's press release it appears that at least some of Eagle isn't using the new rule.

So it's apparently some of Eagle/Connection that don't have the new PED rule in place at AA yet and quite possibly Connection too.
The confusing part is that AA is now using the brand name "American Eagle" to describe all of its regional operations yet the wholly-owned operations are flown by "American Eagle Airlines." The approval to use PEDs at all times is applicable to flights flown by American Eagle Airlines but not to all AE-branded flights.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:14 am

I didn't realize that "connection" had gone away - thanks for the correction and info. Are the for hire carriers flying Eagle still using a slightly different livery or is that going away with the new AA livery?

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.