Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
I guess that could happen quickly, but I'm thinking it will be something we see by Jan 1 (hopefully sooner).
The FAA announcement "expects" most airlines to have this completed by 12/31/13... So, agreed - hopefully sooner
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: None
The changes necessary by the carriers fall into two catagories - technical and operational.

Technical: Making sure each type of plane operated by the carrier meet HIRF standards. Most certified after 1989 do and it will be shown in the type certificate. Models certified before 1989 may need more research to establish whether they have the required resistance to EF interference.

Operational: Changing policies regarding use of PEDS, storage for takeoff and landing, etc. Then, like any policy designed to provide compliance with FARs, the changed policies must be submitted to and approved by the FAA. There are also reporting requirements for confirmed or suspected EF interference from PED's.

For US, the 757/767 and 737 were certified prior to 1989 so may need more research to determine if they meet the HIRF requirements, which would of course take longer.

Use of cellular capable PEDs is limited to airplane mode - no cell calls, texting, tweeting, internet surfing via cellular connection, etc.

Storage falls into at least 2 groups - tablets, laptops, etc too big to be put into a pocket, and cell phones that generally will fit into a pocket. No wires may be in a position to impede emergency egress for takeoff and landing. Smaller PEDs may be held but can't be stowed by being placed in the seat or on the armrest.

For US, the Airbus and Embraer fleets should be reasonably quick to have the new policy implemented. They were all certified after 1989 and probably have the HIRF certification in the type certificate - 3 pieces of paper to look at. For older types it will probably take longer to determine HIRF certification and some types may not meet the standards.

Finally, the FAA will be something of a bottleneck with all the carriers submitting new policies and procedures in a relatively short time frame. Until a carrier receives approval for it's new P&Ps it can't use the new guidance.

Personally I wouldn't expect less than a month before anything changes. The FAA is saying compliance by the end of the year.

Jim
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I wonder if airlines will incrementally submit for certain types of aircraft, meaning I can use my PEDs on an Airbus but not Boeing, ought to be pretty confusing for passengers if that ends up happening.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:48 pm

It will probably be patchwork with the express-type feeder carriers, not having the resources of the mainline partner.

As far as different fleet types within the mainline carrier's fleet, it will be a decision the carrier will make as to whether to wait till all aircraft types have the necessary approvals for the new policy/procedures. Doing it piecemeal would make it harder on the FAs - "what briefs/checks do we make on this plane" confusion.

Jim
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by gruss
But the important question is will they tell us we have to go to airplane mode when the door closes or BEFORE the door closes?
Gruss
FAA : after door shut
US Air: After gate agent has cleared flight for departure
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
But the important question is will they tell us we have to go to airplane mode when the door closes or BEFORE the door closes?
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Gruss
That post was irony, BeatCal. No one, except you, are really taking this question seriously. Please dont bring it up any more. You've beat the horse to death.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Gruss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awD1gtpdWIA
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
A friend on an AA flight last night said she was able to use electronics in all phases of flight.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
On a Republic flight this morning the FA added to her announcement something along the lines of "We know the FAA has released new guidelines regarding the use of electronics but at this time US Airways has not received approval to begin following those guidelines. Therefore, please turn off and stow all personal electronic devices." Simple and effective.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:14 am

Frankly, I'm surprised and disappointed that the FAA is allowing use of small PEDs "from gate to gate". Everybody knows that lots of people don't pay attention to the safety video now, but the FAA is effectively saying that nobody needs to pay attention to it any longer. Might as well eliminate the requirement to do it.

Jim
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Might as well eliminate the requirement to do it.
Now you're on to something!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Now you're on to something!
Remember, this is the FAA we're talking about. Logic isn't their strong suit...

Jim
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: US DM Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Emerald Club Executive
On a Republic flight this morning the FA added to her announcement something along the lines of "We know the FAA has released new guidelines regarding the use of electronics but at this time US Airways has not received approval to begin following those guidelines. Therefore, please turn off and stow all personal electronic devices." Simple and effective.
Same here on my CLT-LAS flight this morning.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:00 pm

When will US Airways get FAA approval for new electronics rule?

Rumor has it (on A US f/a Facebook page) that FAA has approved the US plan to allow Approved PEDs effective midnight tonight. I'm sure someone will post the specifics if its true. F/As are hopeful it's true. Well, it's gotta be true if its on Facebook lol
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Rumor has it (on A US f/a Facebook page) that FAA has approved the US plan to allow Approved PEDs effective midnight tonight. I'm sure someone will post the specifics if its true. F/As are hopeful it's true. Well, it's gotta be true if its on Facebook lol
Ahhh, I hope that is true, would be great news since I'm about to start quite a bit of travel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.