Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US @ LAX to move from T1 to T3

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by italdesign
With all the talk about moving to T3, I just want to make sure for now the lounge is still in T1 as reported on the official Club page. I am flying SW on Jan 1 and may burn my US club pass.
Yes...was there this week. It looks like US will be in T1 at least for some time. Wonder if the merger might move them to the AA terminal instead, in which there will definitely be club access.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tashworth
Yes...was there this week. It looks like US will be in T1 at least for some time. Wonder if the merger might move them to the AA terminal instead, in which there will definitely be club access.
Ugh that terminal has too few gates as it is, I can't imagine adding another 15 flights (or whatever US has out of LAX these days).
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I believe US has 3 gates at LAX and have to give up 2 as part of the merger settlement with the DoJ.

Can't see them moving to T3 other than temporaily for just the one gate when AA is at T4 with 4 TBIT gates becoming available soon.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 9, 2014 at 8:25 pm
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:24 pm

Club agent confirmed US is still moving to T3 with no date for move to T4. Said something about possibly waiting until they're fully merged.

And yes, the employees here are incredibly nice and helpful, I'm very pleased as I drink my red wine/swill and gaze at the creamer arrangement
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lizs
Club agent confirmed US is still moving to T3 with no date for move to T4. Said something about possibly waiting until they're fully merged.

And yes, the employees here are incredibly nice and helpful, I'm very pleased as I drink my red wine/swill and gaze at the creamer arrangement
Post-TWA merger (2002 era) AA had gates in T3 and T4, maybe they'll do that again for a while.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
I believe US has 3 gates at LAX and have to give up 2 as part of the merger settlement with the DoJ.

Can't see them moving to T3 for just the one gate when AA is at T4 with 4 TBIT gates becoming available soon.
AA agreed to give up two gates in T-3, and they were specifically identified in the settlement agreement. Lots of people have posted that new AA will have just the one gate at T-3 when US moves.

Somewhere I also read that US would be getting just two gates in T-3 to replace the three gates it occupies in T-1. Dunno whether that's true.

Lastly, I read somewhere that the two gates given up in T-3 become common-use gates and thus, new AA may be able to use them on a common-use basis but not exclusively. Dunno whether that's true either.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Looks like the date has been set for the move to T3 - Feb 12, 2014.

Overall this is probably better than going directly to T4 since AA is already using the West Remote gates for nearly 20 daily flights. I'd imagine having US based flights at T4 would only make that worse.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 2:53 pm

I wonder whats going to happen to the US Airways Club in Terminal 1 and will there be a new lounge in Terminal 3?

Also it would be wise for LAX to connect Terminal 3 4 5-6 etc all within security. Since AA and Alaska Airlines are codeshare partners and Delta and Alaska also Codeshare it would be nice to have everything within one roof. Perhaps all terminals can be connected within security as its in a U shape so you could go right to the International Terminal Departures just by showing your onward boarding pass and then your let in through a door.

At Las Vegas they have a door that lets you between C and D all you do is show your boarding pass and Priority Pass card and they let you through the door to the tram to use the Club LAS lounge without going via security.

LAX should also build a People Mover around the terminal and one that goes to the remote Eagle terminal rather than taking a bus. One line can go right to the American Terminal and the other one right to International Departures.

After arriving from an International flight you could reclear security at the International Terminal like at DFW and go right to your next gate.

LAX is a poor design in my opinion. The benefit of having all terminals together is the passenger can experience any venue they want, the lines at other security points would decrease because there could be monitors showing the best security check point to use. If one checkpoint was taken off line you could just send passengers to another checkpoint and take the tram to your proper terminal.

LAX is not San Diego and they need better connecting routes. A lot of people don't realize they have to exit security and re enter security to go between some terminals. If I had an Air France flight leaving from Terminal 2 and I got off Delta I would like to be able to go directly to my gate.

LAX could adopt the shared gate approach so airlines are not tied to one gate or checkin counter.

Just my 2 cents. What's your opinion?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
I wonder whats going to happen to the US Airways Club in Terminal 1 and will there be a new lounge in Terminal 3?
From my conversation with the club agents last week my impression is there will be a lounge in T3.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I doubt that new AA will bother with a lounge in T-3 if there's only one exclusive gate, but I've been wrong before.

Also it would be wise for LAX to connect Terminal 3 4 5-6 etc all within security.
There is already a plan to do that. The T-4 to TBIT connector will be done first and the long-term plan is to build a sterile connector between TBIT and T-3. The tunnels connecting T-4, T-5, T-6 and T-7 already exist and all that needs to happen is to open the T-4 to T-5 tunnel.

Since AA and Alaska Airlines are codeshare partners and Delta and Alaska also Codeshare it would be nice to have everything within one roof. Perhaps all terminals can be connected within security as its in a U shape so you could go right to the International Terminal Departures just by showing your onward boarding pass and then your let in through a door.
That will be the case once the sterile connector between TBIT and T-3 is built.

LAX should also build a People Mover around the terminal and one that goes to the remote Eagle terminal rather than taking a bus. One line can go right to the American Terminal and the other one right to International Departures.
That probably ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes.

LAX is a poor design in my opinion. The benefit of having all terminals together is the passenger can experience any venue they want, the lines at other security points would decrease because there could be monitors showing the best security check point to use. If one checkpoint was taken off line you could just send passengers to another checkpoint and take the tram to your proper terminal.
LAX is an O&D airport, in fact, the #1 O&D airport in the country. LAX wasn't designed as a connecting hub and features a very low connecting percentage compared to most other huge airports.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jim_F
Looks like the date has been set for the move to T3 - Feb 12, 2014.

Overall this is probably better than going directly to T4 since AA is already using the West Remote gates for nearly 20 daily flights. I'd imagine having US based flights at T4 would only make that worse.
Since when is AA running 20 flights a day from the Stands at the west end? Might want to check your information.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Since when is AA running 20 flights a day from the Stands at the west end? Might want to check your information.
The info came directly from US CHQ...

Last edited by Jim_F; Dec 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:40 pm

Jim is correct. US will be moving to T3 the last week of February 2014, with one hard gate. Overflow flights will use the stands.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The tunnels connecting T-4, T-5, T-6 and T-7 already exist and all that needs to happen is to open the T-4 to T-5 tunnel.
I believe the tunnel between T-6 and T-7 was closed when the CBP area was built beneath T-7.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I doubt that new AA will bother with a lounge in T-3 if there's only one exclusive gate, but I've been wrong before.

There is already a plan to do that. The T-4 to TBIT connector will be done first and the long-term plan is to build a sterile connector between TBIT and T-3. The tunnels connecting T-4, T-5, T-6 and T-7 already exist and all that needs to happen is to open the T-4 to T-5 tunnel.

That will be the case once the sterile connector between TBIT and T-3 is built.

That probably ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes.

LAX is an O&D airport, in fact, the #1 O&D airport in the country. LAX wasn't designed as a connecting hub and features a very low connecting percentage compared to most other huge airports.
Sounds like a good plan to make the teriminals all in a sterile area. Wouldn't it be wise for US Airways to start building the club now so when the switch has been made they can open soon as it can take time to get a liquor license etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.