Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Benefits of the US Airways Mastercard
(full website found here)

US Airways Premier World MasterCard®
(annual fee of $89)
  • Redeem award travel for 5,000 fewer miles
  • 2 miles for every $1 you spend on US Airways purchases and 1 mile for every $1 you spend everywhere else
  • Annual companion certificate good for roundtrip travel for up to 2 guests for $99 each
  • Zone 2 boarding and First Class check-in

US Airways World MasterCard®
(annual fee of $49)
  • 1 mile for every $1 you spend on US Airways purchases
  • Annual companion certificate good for roundtrip travel for 1 guest for $149
  • Redeem award travel for 5,000 fewer miles

US Airways Business MasterCard®
(annual fee of $79)
  • 2 miles for every $1 you spend on US Airways purchases
  • Additional cards for employees to earn you greater rewards
  • Complimentary US Airways Club day pass

Related thread:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Print Wikipost

Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Last chance for US Mastercard?

I'm about to sign up for the US MasterCard with the 50k link as it looks like this is pretty much my last chance. I had this card in the past, but cancelled it about 14 months ago so I am assuming I am now again eligible for the sign up bonus.

Before I do so, are there any better offers than the 50k that I found online?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Barclays: no foreign-transaction fees

I noticed when I logged in earlier today that Barclays now has no foreign-transaction fees for the US MC.

Ironically, Barclays is the bank that has never, ever approved a foreign transaction for me (made online while I was in the United States). It was amusing to hear their automated fraud warning try to pronounce ÖBB (Österreichische Bundesbahn). Not amusing when they declined that charge, another from the Swiss Federal Railways, the Wiener Konzerthaus, Linotype GMBH (in Germany, but according to Barclays, billed from France), and Skype (billed from Luxembourg). After all of those, I didn't even consider using the card while I was actually outside the United States.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by kochleffel
I noticed when I logged in earlier today that Barclays now has no foreign-transaction fees for the US MC.

Ironically, Barclays is the bank that has never, ever approved a foreign transaction for me (made online while I was in the United States). It was amusing to hear their automated fraud warning try to pronounce ÖBB (Österreichische Bundesbahn). Not amusing when they declined that charge, another from the Swiss Federal Railways, the Wiener Konzerthaus, Linotype GMBH (in Germany, but according to Barclays, billed from France), and Skype (billed from Luxembourg). After all of those, I didn't even consider using the card while I was actually outside the United States.
All you need to do is call them and advise them of your travel plans. I always do it before any trip outside the country for any cards I'm taking with me. Called Barclays before a recent trip to UK and France and had no issues. Chase is another one that will decline any charge out of the country unless you advise them of your travel plans. Some cards (don't remember which at the moment) allow you to advise them online.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
All you need to do is call them and advise them of your travel plans.
Am I supposed to call them before I top up my Skype account? Before I purchase from Amazon UK? Not every foreign transaction results from travel plans. In the cases of the train and concert tickets, the travel was two or three months in the future.

If I have to call Barclays before every transaction (when I'm at home) that might be billed from a foreign country, I'm far more likely to pull out another bank's card.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Am I supposed to call them before I top up my Skype account? Before I purchase from Amazon UK? Not every foreign transaction results from travel plans. In the cases of the train and concert tickets, the travel was two or three months in the future.

If I have to call Barclays before every transaction (when I'm at home) that might be billed from a foreign country, I'm far more likely to pull out another bank's card.
Good points. I'd be tempted to call them and ask those same questions.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:51 am

I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I didn't exactly see it - does the US Airways MasterCard get you a free bag on American Airlines flights? Specifically American Eagle operated ones?

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:47 am

The website only mentions a free bag on US Air.

I wonder if the new Aviator Mastercard will have chip and pin. Seems like a good time to do it as Barclay's Hawaiian Air Mastercard has them.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:52 am

Yes, the FAQ for the default Red card says:
Your card is a chip-and-signature card with PIN capability. In most cases, you’ll be asked to sign for your transaction. But at some self-service terminals such as ticket kiosks and vending machines, you may be asked to enter your PIN instead of signing. Please be sure to set up your PIN so you won’t have issues using your card at self-service terminals.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
Yes, the FAQ for the default Red card says:
Great, thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:46 am

Use US Airways Free Bag Benefit from USA Barclays Card (Flight Not Purchased on Card)

I purchased a US Airways flight (operated by Republic Airways - which is a US Airways express carrier, so shouldn't be an issue there), but bought it with my Amex Premier Rewards as I was working towards a minimum spend on that card.

I figured I'd just carry my bags on so I wasn't concerned about it too much. While I don't need to carry on, I might prefer to for this trip and wanted to see if having the US Airways Barclays Card and bringing it with me when I check in would get me a free checked bag?

I'm not seeing anything prohibiting it in the page devoted to this benefit, but almost every other card I know of, you have to have had purchased the flight on the card to get the benefit: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...Bags.html?re=1
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
You'll get the free checked bag. Last December I flew US BOS-DCA on a ticket purchased before I even applied for the Barclay's card. The card was issued before I flew, but was still in the mail to me so it was not yet activated. Nonetheless the card was already associated with my account and I received one free checked bag on the flight.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by JPG3392
You'll get the free checked bag. Last December I flew US BOS-DCA on a ticket purchased before I even applied for the Barclay's card. The card was issued before I flew, but was still in the mail to me so it was not yet activated. Nonetheless the card was already associated with my account and I received one free checked bag on the flight.
superb.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:03 pm

Question Question about Barclays US Airways Boarding Benefit

Hi all, I did some searching and couldn't find an answer and was hoping for some feedback...

I have the Barclays US Airways World MC (hasn't converted to the AA Red yet) which I was planning to use to buy a couple US Airways tickets for my parents to visit. Does anybody know if they'd get the priority boarding benefit even though I'm not on the itinerary? Based on the fine print, it seems like I have to be a traveler on the flight for them to get priority boarding, but was wondering if anybody had any firsthand experiences otherwise.

Thank you!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bsizzle
Hi all, I did some searching and couldn't find an answer and was hoping for some feedback...

I have the Barclays US Airways World MC (hasn't converted to the AA Red yet) which I was planning to use to buy a couple US Airways tickets for my parents to visit. Does anybody know if they'd get the priority boarding benefit even though I'm not on the itinerary? Based on the fine print, it seems like I have to be a traveler on the flight for them to get priority boarding, but was wondering if anybody had any firsthand experiences otherwise.

Thank you!
Technically, you've been converted, they just haven't sent you the new card yet. Lots of people are in that situation, including me.

The card doesn't get you "priority boarding", it gets you zone 2 boarding. Data point: I recently flew DCA-TPA-DCA on USAir; my BP said "Zone 2" both times. When boarding on the return, the GA announced "Priority and Citi AAdvantage card holders". Since he was briefly idle after that, I took the opportunity to approach with my BP and my Barclay USAirways card to ask.

GA, looking at BP: "I haven't called Zone 2 yet, sir."
Me: "I know, I just thought USAirways card would get the same access as AA card..."
GA: "They're different cards, sir."

Again, noone was in line at this point, so he just scanned the BP and waved me through.

I suspect that what he should have said was certain Citi AA cards -- the ones with AFs in the hundreds of $ -- get you "Priority Access"; and maybe the Barclays AA Silver does as well.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Technically, you've been converted, they just haven't sent you the new card yet. Lots of people are in that situation, including me.

The card doesn't get you "priority boarding", it gets you zone 2 boarding. Data point: I recently flew DCA-TPA-DCA on USAir; my BP said "Zone 2" both times. When boarding on the return, the GA announced "Priority and Citi AAdvantage card holders". Since he was briefly idle after that, I took the opportunity to approach with my BP and my Barclay USAirways card to ask.

GA, looking at BP: "I haven't called Zone 2 yet, sir."
Me: "I know, I just thought USAirways card would get the same access as AA card..."
GA: "They're different cards, sir."

Again, noone was in line at this point, so he just scanned the BP and waved me through.

I suspect that what he should have said was certain Citi AA cards -- the ones with AFs in the hundreds of $ -- get you "Priority Access"; and maybe the Barclays AA Silver does as well.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, by "priority boarding" I was actually referring to Zone 2... if I buy a ticket for someone else, do you know if they'd get zone 2 boarding, or does it require me to be on the flight as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.