Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Benefits of the US Airways Mastercard
(full website found here)

US Airways Premier World MasterCard®
(annual fee of $89)
  • Redeem award travel for 5,000 fewer miles
  • 2 miles for every $1 you spend on US Airways purchases and 1 mile for every $1 you spend everywhere else
  • Annual companion certificate good for roundtrip travel for up to 2 guests for $99 each
  • Zone 2 boarding and First Class check-in

US Airways World MasterCard®
(annual fee of $49)
  • 1 mile for every $1 you spend on US Airways purchases
  • Annual companion certificate good for roundtrip travel for 1 guest for $149
  • Redeem award travel for 5,000 fewer miles

US Airways Business MasterCard®
(annual fee of $79)
  • 2 miles for every $1 you spend on US Airways purchases
  • Additional cards for employees to earn you greater rewards
  • Complimentary US Airways Club day pass

Related thread:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Print Wikipost

Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:17 am

barclays cc award bonus - apply only to cardholder?

I wonder if the 5k miles discount on award tickets applies also to my companion's ticket that I plan to book with my miles, or does it apply only to my own ticket?

Thanks for any information on this!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Welcome to FlyerTalk, spgsolo ^

The 5k miles discount applies to you and your companion/s when booking US-metal awards with your miles.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes any award ticket (on US-metal) you book using the frequente flier # assigned to the credit card will receive the 5K discount. You don't even have to be traveling, it can be for a companion/multiple companions etc.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by tag1084
Yes any award ticket (on US-metal) you book using the frequente flier # assigned to the credit card will receive the 5K discount. You don't even have to be traveling, it can be for a companion/multiple companions etc.
Thanks for the answer!

I'm new to the forum, what do you mean by "US-metal"? Does this have anything to do with the "operated by xxx" flights?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:46 pm

That's basically it: US metal meaning "Operated by US Airways" and, in most cases, US Airways Express, as opposed to a partner on which US miles can be used.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:29 am

Award Booking fee - One World

I keep getting mixed results on this question.

If I am a USair card holder and have spent 25K this year, am I eligible for my award booking fees to be waived if my flights are a mix of USair/AA/BA? I went ahead and booked it but was looking to escalate with the credit card company.

Any insight?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by bpolen
I keep getting mixed results on this question.

If I am a USair card holder and have spent 25K this year, am I eligible for my award booking fees to be waived if my flights are a mix of USair/AA/BA? I went ahead and booked it but was looking to escalate with the credit card company.

Any insight?
From what I've seen, none of the credit card benefits apply if any carrier other than US is used, and this coincides with the T&C on the offer.

(f) your award ticket(s) are booked for either a roundtrip or open-jaw itinerary on flight segments operated by US Airways and/or US Airways Express (“Eligible Award Tickets”). In the event any portion of the award itinerary is not operated by US Airways/US Airways Express, or is not a valid roundtrip or open-jaw routing, these benefits will not apply for any part of the itinerary and the benefits will not be pro-rated.
I accidentally selected a domestic routing with an AA segment (rest of the trip US) while checking some options and it noted that DM select benefits were not available as a result, which matches up with this.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:44 pm

In the past, I've seen the 5000 mile discount when booking award travel on the US Airways website. However, when I tried to make an award booking today, there was no mention of the discount. I was logged in to my account, and the flights were on US Airways metal. I filled out the contact form on the US Airways website, so we'll see what they have to say, but I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Showed for me today. When you log in to your account, do you see a DMS symbol at the top right of your screen?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Showed for me today. When you log in to your account, do you see a DMS symbol at the top right of your screen?
No I don't, but I do remember seeing it in the past.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:42 pm

Stupid question, I'm sure

Sorry in advance. My company made me book a US flight and pay with my company card. I have a US card. Can I still board in group 2 even if I didn't pay for the ticket with my US card? The announcement always says, "US cardholders." Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by String33
Sorry in advance. My company made me book a US flight and pay with my company card. I have a US card. Can I still board in group 2 even if I didn't pay for the ticket with my US card? The announcement always says, "US cardholders." Thanks in advance.
Yes, as long as you are a US Airways cardmember and have entered your US Airways Dividend Miles number in your reservation, you will be able to take advantage of your card-related benefits. Your mode of payment makes no difference.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Got a few questions for anyone that can answer. I'm looking at switching from the WN Visa over to the US Mastercard ($89/yr one) as I'm flying WN less and less these days and US more and more...

1. Does the US card provide rental car insurance protection? Mainly for the US, Canada, and western Europe.

2. Is there any benefit to signing up for the AA card instead of US? I rarely fly AA as they currently don't fly many of the routes I fly. I plan to sign up by the end of September.

3. Is there an option to get a chip and signature card? I would like to get one if available.

4. If it helps an FA get some cash I would probably sign up with the on board offer. Is there any downside for me in doing this compared to applying online?

I might have some more questions, but these are the ones that pop into my head.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Lost
Got a few questions for anyone that can answer. I'm looking at switching from the WN Visa over to the US Mastercard ($89/yr one) as I'm flying WN less and less these days and US more and more...

1. Does the US card provide rental car insurance protection? Mainly for the US, Canada, and western Europe.

2. Is there any benefit to signing up for the AA card instead of US? I rarely fly AA as they currently don't fly many of the routes I fly. I plan to sign up by the end of September.

3. Is there an option to get a chip and signature card? I would like to get one if available.

4. If it helps an FA get some cash I would probably sign up with the on board offer. Is there any downside for me in doing this compared to applying online?

I might have some more questions, but these are the ones that pop into my head.
It is widely expected that all US flights will become AA flights sometime next year.

There is a higher sign-up bonus for the AA card than for the US card.

Both cards provide secondary LDW coverage for rental cars, as long as you charge the entire cost of the rental to the card (use of a free-day or dollars-off coupon will likely void the free coverage).

How soon do you plan to redeem miles? Each program has its own redemption rate, and each card has its own benefit for redemptions.

Do you usually check a bag when traveling in Coach on domestic US flights?

If you do decide to go with the Barclays/USDM card, make sure that the bonus offer from an FA sign up is no worse than the best bonus offer you can get online.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It is widely expected that all US flights will become AA flights sometime next year.

There is a higher sign-up bonus for the AA card than for the US card.

Both cards provide secondary LDW coverage for rental cars, as long as you charge the entire cost of the rental to the card (use of a free-day or dollars-off coupon will likely void the free coverage).

How soon do you plan to redeem miles? Each program has its own redemption rate, and each card has its own benefit for redemptions.

Do you usually check a bag when traveling in Coach on domestic US flights?

If you do decide to go with the Barclays/USDM card, make sure that the bonus offer from an FA sign up is no worse than the best bonus offer you can get online.
ok thanks, that helps a lot. As far as car rental I use a AWD code with Avis that I get through my employer for personal rentals. Secondary is what I was expecting.

Checking bags: I typically check bags during the winter when flying with my skis, not so much during the summer. I could make use of that benefit.

I don't have any pressing plans to redeem miles, but probably will do some trips either in winter or 2015.

I believe the bonuses for online and on board are the same (40,000 miles?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.