Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on US Airways. Is it always this easy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
I think it's going to be a bit easier after 3/1 when we say Auf Wiedersehen to the Hop, Skip and a Jump preferreds...

Yes, US Airways is the only airline you can buy elite status outright on, but I don't think very many actually are.
But what makes you think that enough people took advantage of HSJ to make that much of a difference in your future UG success? Maybe HSJ wasn't that popular. After all, it was a VERY convoluted promo.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by tommyleo
But what makes you think that enough people took advantage of HSJ to make that much of a difference in your future UG success? Maybe HSJ wasn't that popular. After all, it was a VERY convoluted promo.
From what I've been gathering from earlier posts - upgrade rates went down noticeably across the board after H/S/J. This leads me to believe that enough people took advantage of it to inflate the elite ranks (although not to the level of United)
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
From what I've been gathering from earlier posts - upgrade rates went down noticeably across the board after H/S/J. This leads me to believe that enough people took advantage of it to inflate the elite ranks (although not to the level of United)
But also keep in mind that US had dramatically cut segments across the board by the end of 2009 in anticipation of a horrible depression that never panned out. By 2010, air travel had picked up quite a bit. Even more so in 2011. So maybe the reason why upgrade rates dropped is because demand for air travel dramatically exceeded expectations, but with fewer aircraft (and F seats) to meet that demand?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
How is it then that I'm <50% as a Plat? Oddly my "easiest" upgrades have been at peak times on the Shuttle.

Like tomorrow... a 3/4s full CR9, no joy. A 321 Transcon with mostly empty exit rows and choice seats... no joy.

Is the system crappy or am I really unlucky?
I'm guessing it's because you're based in the northeast where US is still strong and talking about a transcon. The likeliest places to find CP's...

I'm starting most of my trips from an airport where very few people even *think* about US Airways. I'm pretty sure my hit rate as a Silver would still be 50-75%
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm guessing it's because you're based in the northeast where US is still strong and talking about a transcon. The likeliest places to find CP's...

I'm starting most of my trips from an airport where very few people even *think* about US Airways. I'm pretty sure my hit rate as a Silver would still be 50-75%
Looks like WN is king at MCI, DL being a distant second.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.