Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on US Airways. Is it always this easy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLATINUM
Upgrades on US Airways. Is it always this easy?

2 months ago I flew for the 1st time on US Air from PHL to DFW. 1 hour before the flight I simply went up to the counter and asked for an upgrade to 1st class. They said for $100 they would. I was then given a 1st class seat. I have never been ab;e to do this for that cheap with any other airline. Was it just a 1 time thing that will never happen again, or is that how US Air rolls? Thanks. I have no status with them.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by CUSO
2 months ago I flew for the 1st time on US Air from PHL to DFW. 1 hour before the flight I simply went up to the counter and asked for an upgrade to 1st class. They said for $100 they would. I was then given a 1st class seat. I have never been ab;e to do this for that cheap with any other airline. Was it just a 1 time thing that will never happen again, or is that how US Air rolls? Thanks. I have no status with them.
For all of its faults, US is a pretty cagey, get-it-done airline. Fortunately for you and many of us "elites," US has a bad rep and for the moment is under-subscribed. This creates all kind of opportunities, like the one you just encountered. You can't count on stuff like this for any particular flight; but it happens enough to make US worth flying.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
For all of its faults, US is a pretty cagey, get-it-done airline. Fortunately for you and many of us "elites," US has a bad rep and for the moment is under-subscribed. This creates all kind of opportunities, like the one you just encountered. You can't count on stuff like this for any particular flight; but it happens enough to make US worth flying.
US only sells seats in First Class for cash if there are more seats than there are elites. As Biggie Fries said, you can't count on it on any particular day - but it does happen enough that US advertises GoFirst upgrades (which is what you bought) on their website. Fly enough to make silver and you'll get those seats for free if they're available - 2 days out. I'm a silver and I get upgraded around 50% of the time - I never count on it but it's a really nice treat when it does happen

Last edited by thomwithanh; Feb 21, 2012 at 10:52 am
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:31 pm

CUSO

DFW is very lite on elites w/US. My flight this morning on a 321 had 3 seats unoccupied even after the sold 2 or 3 seats at the gate. Besides being cheaper than AA I am not competing with 7 billion EXPLATs for upgrades. Even 3 years ago when I first started with US I almost always got upgraded at silver leaving dfw and usually going back.

Just pray US doesnt try and pull UA stunt by favoring ticket price vs elite level. Upgrades are THE most important perk to me.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shaddie
...Upgrades are THE most important perk to me.
Yes! +1
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As an occasional US flyer, though using my UA or CO FF# I'm surprised by how often I'm offered upgrades for cash. Even on Friday RDU-CLT flights! The price is rarely competitive enough for me to jump on it (LAS-CLT is $250 I believe which is a lot when the roundtrip ticket only cost you $400) but it's nice to know it's there.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
As others have mentioned, upgrades are time and route dependent.

I'm taking a flight to CLT next week and US wants $1350 r/t for same day down and back in Y. For about $100 more I can do confirmed F class. Which do you think I went for?

To top it off, there is 1 seat left that is unblocked in F class on the flight down. I can guarantee you most of the SPs and GPs on this flight will be on the aft side the "curtain".
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I came back to US in December 2011 after a 10-year hiatus. Since my first travel with them was international, I bought a Gold Trial.

Now I'm 14-for-14 on domestic upgrades. ^ My international segments both were in a Preferred aisle seat that had a Choice Seat next to it in the middle - effectively guaranteeing that I'd have an empty seat next to me unless the flight went out totally full. (Hey, it's the best you can do without a SWU!)

It's nice to be flying out of a place with few elites.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by shaddie
CUSO

DFW is very lite on elites w/US. My flight this morning on a 321 had 3 seats unoccupied even after the sold 2 or 3 seats at the gate. Besides being cheaper than AA I am not competing with 7 billion EXPLATs for upgrades. Even 3 years ago when I first started with US I almost always got upgraded at silver leaving dfw and usually going back.

Just pray US doesnt try and pull UA stunt by favoring ticket price vs elite level. Upgrades are THE most important perk to me.
Aren't some discount fares on DL/UA not even eligible for comp upgrades?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I came back to US in December 2011 after a 10-year hiatus. Since my first travel with them was international, I bought a Gold Trial.

Now I'm 14-for-14 on domestic upgrades. ^ My international segments both were in a Preferred aisle seat that had a Choice Seat next to it in the middle - effectively guaranteeing that I'd have an empty seat next to me unless the flight went out totally full. (Hey, it's the best you can do without a SWU!)

It's nice to be flying out of a place with few elites.
I'm looking forward to snagging Gold in a few more weeks. I'm only pulling 50% as a Silver
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:48 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
How is it then that I'm <50% as a Plat? Oddly my "easiest" upgrades have been at peak times on the Shuttle.

Like tomorrow... a 3/4s full CR9, no joy. A 321 Transcon with mostly empty exit rows and choice seats... no joy.

Is the system crappy or am I really unlucky?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
How is it then that I'm <50% as a Plat? Oddly my "easiest" upgrades have been at peak times on the Shuttle.

Like tomorrow... a 3/4s full CR9, no joy. A 321 Transcon with mostly empty exit rows and choice seats... no joy.

Is the system crappy or am I really unlucky?
I mostly fly BGM-PHL and PHL-BOS (Shuttle in all but name) middle of the day on weekdays. BGM-PHL is either a Dash-8 or CR2 (both all Y) - they don't factor into my percentage. My flight Friday is no joy though.... unless there's a cancellation or misconnect.

Transcons get a lot of paid F, I frequently hear of CP's missing upgrades, not to mention PP, GP and SP. Where are you flying on the CR9 tomorrow?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:09 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Transcons get a lot of paid F, I frequently hear of CP's missing upgrades, not to mention PP, GP and SP. Where are you flying on the CR9 tomorrow?
CR9 tomorrow is MDT-CLT.

I don't mind missing one or two - that's the nature of the "game"... but <50%?

I ran about 75% on DL as Gold last year (missing only on transcons) and darn close to 90-95% on AA as EXP - even factoring in misconnects. It seems that my chances are much, much lower on US. Perhaps this is (as I suspect) a system that's easily gamed by lower tiers or it's the (unlikely) situation of incredible yield managment. Or maybe it's Preferred "inflation". Either way, it's enough to make my return to US last only as long as they're the only option to get where I need to go.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
CR9 tomorrow is MDT-CLT.

I don't mind missing one or two - that's the nature of the "game"... but <50%?

I ran about 75% on DL as Gold last year (missing only on transcons) and darn close to 90-95% on AA as EXP - even factoring in misconnects. It seems that my chances are much, much lower on US. Perhaps this is (as I suspect) a system that's easily gamed by lower tiers or it's the (unlikely) situation of incredible yield managment. Or maybe it's Preferred "inflation". Either way, it's enough to make my return to US last only as long as they're the only option to get where I need to go.
I think it's going to be a bit easier after 3/1 when we say Auf Wiedersehen to the Hop, Skip and a Jump preferreds...

It seems like those patronizing "buy up to preferred" are elites who missed the mark by a few thousand miles and don't want to drop a level or back to base, or who almost made the next tier and want to move up. US Airways is the only airline you can buy elite status outright on although I have a feeling not very many actually are doing so. Buy up to/Trial preferred are not heavily marketed programs - and for good reason.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Feb 22, 2012 at 8:36 pm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I've flown 15 segments YTD and have been upgraded on 8. The one that really counted was PHL-SFO on a Friday evening.

There was an empty F seat PHX-ONT last Friday night. Not sure if there were no other elites in the back or if the GA blew off upgrading someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.