Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club promotion 2/14-17 (5,000pqm)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WASBLR
I got a similar email as well. Renewal rate of $325 and 5k PQM.
Looks like a good deal, no?
I took a slightly different approach this year; I did not renew. On a busy year the 5k PQM's don't matter and in a non-busy year the 5K PQM's don't matter. In general US clubs are ok. The one in BOS that I fly out of is useless. They open after the early flights leave and the bar has been closed for 3 years. Also I do a lot of Asia and West cCoast. Very often there is no US or UA club; i.e. SFO and PDX. And in Asia the club card does not work in lots of places.

So, for the first time I bought a Priority Pass. I can us my *G in places where I need it and then use the Priority Pass in the other places. And of course the Priority Pass still gets me into most US clubs.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by pbuntrock
The one in BOS that I fly out of is useless. They open after the early flights leave and the bar has been closed for 3 years
I know the Boston club doesn't have a liquor license, but I had no idea it's been an issue for three years. Under the impression it was a temporary snafu with renewal, wonder if it was revoked for some reason? Maybe serving to minors?

Bar not withstanding, I'm usually at the BOS club in the AM, too early for a drink, but still....

So, for the first time I bought a Priority Pass.
I actually considered Priority Pass, though I didn't like the $27 guest fee - especially since I travel with my fiancee or family enough that the 2 free guests each visit will come in handy. I'm also the type of person who will invite the bummed out fellow traveler I meet during irregular opps to the club with me (somebody guested me in to the CO President's Club during a 12 hour delay and I always said I'd do the same). With the 5,000 PQM bonus and waived initiation fee it was a no-brainer.

The only thing that irritates me: at least once a year I have to fly Delta (other half's family is from rural Florida and the local airport is only served by Delta) - no US Club or other usable *A Lounge at Detroit or Atlanta - well actually there is a LH Business lounge at DTW, but it's in the other terminal and there's an LH Senator Lounge at Atlanta, but I'm almost positive you can't get in there with just a US Club Card.... maybe take my chance with the dragon.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Feb 16, 2012 at 11:57 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
I got my membership almost 2 years ago during the grand slam. As a non-rev, it's been great as I when you travel standby there are some times when you have to wait for a flight or two. Best time was once when I was trying to do LAX-CLD on UA. Got lucky and the CLD gate was right in front of the RCC, three flights I didn't get on and I just kept going back to the RCC, having some drinks and snacks in a nice quiet and clean spot. So far, the only places it hasn't come in handy is SFO and SAN, everywhere else I've found a club to use during my travels.

Now this year I've gone back to school to finish my degree and I've worked my airport schedule so that I work 3 double shifts - all of which I end up with a 2 hour gap between the am and pm shift. So I just put on a pullover so I'm no longer in uniform and get two hours of good study time away from my normal work environment in a comfy, quiet place with snacks, coffee and juice. :-) It's been working out pretty good! Think it's worth it for me!!!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by awaflyboy
As a non-rev, it's been great as I when you travel standby there are some times when you have to wait for a flight or two.
The guy who guested me in a few years ago was in the same boat. Wife worked for the airline, he traveled on family passes for free - only thing he paid for was his club membership.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
I've never had a club membership so I just want to make sure I understand the rules before I pull the trigger on this...

- Access to all US & UA clubs no matter what airline I'm flying on that day
- *A club access with a *A ticket for that day
- Ability to guest 2 people into US & UA clubs
- Ability to guest 1 person into all other *A clubs

I'm SP if that makes any difference.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23
I've never had a club membership so I just want to make sure I understand the rules before I pull the trigger on this...

- Access to all US & UA clubs no matter what airline I'm flying on that day
- *A club access with a *A ticket for that day
- Ability to guest 2 people into US & UA clubs
- Ability to guest 1 person into all other *A clubs

I'm SP if that makes any difference.
Very close:
  • Access to all US Clubs (obviously)
  • Access to all United Clubs (both former Red Carpet and President's Club locations)
  • Access to all Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges
  • Any other *A Business Lounge with a same day ticket (NOT LH Senator lounges)
  • 2 Guests (US/UA/AC), 1 Guest (other *A)

As an SP you'll pay $375, as opposed to $450 for a general member - initiation fee is currently waived as well, so it really is $375 flat.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: US Airways Plat; Marriott Plat
Darn. I just renewed mine two weeks ago for 500eqm too...

Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Very close:
  • Access to all US Clubs (obviously)
  • Access to all United Clubs (both former Red Carpet and President's Club locations)
  • Access to all Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges
  • Any other *A Business Lounge with a same day ticket (NOT LH Senator lounges)
  • 2 Guests (US/UA/AC), 1 Guest (other *A)

As an SP you'll pay $375, as opposed to $450 for a general member - initiation fee is currently waived as well, so it really is $375 flat.
^ Awesome. Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:31 pm

I just renewed online with the promo code CLB5K - it didnt squawk about it, so I assume it is still valid even though the email had a time period on it...

It says my renewal is today, the 28th.. but my current membership runs thru the 3rd.. I assume it'll be 365 days from the end of my current, versus the day I renew?

regards,

Mike
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DIAMOND, AA/US TBD
Any new Club members that took part in this promo received their actual card in the mail yet? Have a few UA flights coming up and the United Club only takes actual plastic...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:53 am

When I joined the last time with a US membership, UA club in IAD took my print out receipt.

That said - US emailed me and said they wouldn't honor the 5000eqm and only give 500 non-qualifying miles. I said thank you very much, and then bought a United membership.

Was 5000 miles (I dont even care about the qualifying, as I use my UA #) really worth $450 to them? No wonder they're going down the drain...

regards,

Mike
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by saturnsk
Any new Club members that took part in this promo received their actual card in the mail yet? Have a few UA flights coming up and the United Club only takes actual plastic...
I signed up on 2/12, and received my card on 2/28. Also, I got into the LGA United Club by showing my receipt/confirmation email from US Club Services that I bought the membership. All the desk agent said they needed was a membership # and an expiration date.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pbuntrock
I took a slightly different approach this year; I did not renew. On a busy year the 5k PQM's don't matter and in a non-busy year the 5K PQM's don't matter. In general US clubs are ok. The one in BOS that I fly out of is useless. They open after the early flights leave and the bar has been closed for 3 years. Also I do a lot of Asia and West cCoast. Very often there is no US or UA club; i.e. SFO and PDX. And in Asia the club card does not work in lots of places.

So, for the first time I bought a Priority Pass. I can us my *G in places where I need it and then use the Priority Pass in the other places. And of course the Priority Pass still gets me into most US clubs.
There is a United Club at PDX, although if you are flying from the A/B/C Concourse you will need to take the Concourse Connector hall to get to E gates.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:14 am

Got mine last week. Very relived since I'll probably be visiting a Red Carpet Club early next week on my way to Florida.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:49 pm

Just received my card today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.