Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways and Asia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BRflyer
It is indeed flying the 744-ER... daily and year-round!
Did BA get some 744ERs from QF? Only six 744ERs were ever built as it was a special order from QF.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Did BA get some 744ERs from QF? Only six 744ERs were ever built as it was a special order from QF.
They have to have been. The 744ERs were for the (now withdrawn) LHR -SYD non stop run
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:16 am

Well yes, I meant out of aircraft that US has. I presume the A350s will have the range too, but they're at least 5 years away.

From the airline photo database, it looks like QF is still flying the 747-438ERs -- here's one at Sydney in January.

The BA jets in PHX are all 747-436s, delivered to BA directly. BA also used a 777 for SAN-PHX-LHR for a while.

LH did PHX-FRA from 2001-2004 using A342/343s.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
They have to have been. The 744ERs were for the (now withdrawn) LHR -SYD non stop run
I don't think anyone ever thought they would have that kind of range.

I've seen as many as three of them at LAX at one time - I think QF wanted them for LAX-MEL/SYD (extra range = smaller weight restrictions).
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:49 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I don't think anyone ever thought they would have that kind of range.

I've seen as many as three of them at LAX at one time - I think QF wanted them for LAX-MEL/SYD (extra range = smaller weight restrictions).
Digression...
Back in the good ole days....using US miles 330 days in advance, I booked 2 PHL-LAX-MEL, SYD-LAX-PHL First class tickets for a 2002 trip(transpac obviously flown by QF). By the time the trip rolled around a year after snagging those F seats, we were fortunate enough to be on the 5th revenue trip of the then-new 747-400ER. Loved that new car smell!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.