Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live, Interesting Seat Recline dispute, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CLTF
WWJD

good way to live
Oh, please. If you want to live your life that way, that's fine. Your religious views have no part in this discussion, and your assumption that they have any relevance to the OP, who may or may not be Christian, is rather impertinent.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by apeortdz
^

But I think He would offer to sit in coach.
Haven't you followed the Republican party? Jesus would find all the gays on the plane and beat them up. Then he'd use his captive audience of middle and upper class passengers to hold a rally to cut taxes (because poor people suck and they are a drain on our tax dollars) and kick all the brown people out of Texas and Arizona by cutting off their healthcare and education.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by CLTF
WWJD

good way to live
Hate everyone?!?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Ok folks, this isn't Omni P/R, this is the US Airways forum. If the religious (and political) comments continue, however, that's exactly where this thread is headed.

Please keep your comments on-topic (and also avoid getting too personal). Feel free to go back and edit anything that may be O-T.

Thanks.

aztimm
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:59 am

Yes - I've had similar situations

Originally Posted by beofotch
I am currently flying CLT – LAX on a US Airways A321. I am in seat 3D and once I began working on my laptop I reclined my seat. Within a few minutes of this, the passenger in 4D turned her air vent on my head, presumably to protest me having my seat reclined.

I summoned the flight attendant and asked him to ask the passenger behind me to take her air vent off my head. He asked her and she complied. About fifteen minutes later, the passenger in 4D got my attention and said, “if you continue to shove your head into my lap, I will turn my air vent back on you.” I replied, “what are you talking about?” She replied, “your seat is reclined too far, do you want to switch?” I responded, “no, this is my chosen seat”. I know that row 4 on the A321 doesn’t recline as far.

I then summoned the flight attendant again and noted to him what she had said to me and her threatening tone. She then spoke to him. He came to me and said, “She has taken her air vent off you, wouldn’t you be so kind as to not recline your seat? No other passengers are reclined.” I responded, “while I am working I want to have my seat reclined, I don’t see why this is a problem. I am 6’ 4” and fly enough to be a Dividend Miles Platinum and this has never been an issue in the past.” He responded, “well in that case I can’t stop her from putting her air vent on your head.”. I replied, “if she continues to do that, I will get out my camera phone and take her picture and post it on flyertalk.com and note that this is a passenger who puts her air vent on other passengers.” He paused for a moment and said, “if you take a picture of her, I will have the police meet this flight in Los Angeles.”

At this point, I continue to work (save for writing this post), and she continues to have her air vent on my head. I will wait to take her picture until I am finished with my work. I believe it is totally within my right to take a picture of other people in public (but I could be wrong, I am not an attorney). Also, note that as far as I can tell, she does not have any sort of medical condition or injury. I would be more inclined to suck it up if she were injured. Neither she nor the flight attendant noted she had any condition.

Have you had similar frustrating discourse with other passengers? So my question for you is, what would you do?
Yes - I have had similar situations and I would continue to direct my air vent towards the inconsiderate person in front of me .....
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RX_Flyertalk
Yes - I have had similar situations and I would continue to direct my air vent towards the inconsiderate person in front of me .....
There are far better ways to address passengers like you who think they have a right to impose on others for their own comfort.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
While I rarely recline in F or Y, I believe it's within your right to recline your seat. I just can't see how reclining in F is being in her lap. She needs to get over it.

Oh and the vent wouldn't bother me either. I always aim mine full blast at my face as I saw on Dr. Oz that that prevents other pax germs from making you sick. And I'm a germophobe.

The FA threatening to call the cops is a little off the wall.

I agree with DCPatti, that nobody likes a snitch.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PTravel
There are far better ways to address passengers like you who think they have a right to impose on others for their own comfort.
Which is what the OP did. Imposed on the person behind him for his own comfort.

I'm not saying it's his fault that the seats on this plane recline the way they do but the fact that they do does end up imposing on the person behind. If I'm the person behind I'm going to ask nicely if they wouldn't mind putting their seat forward just a little. However, if I chose to direct the air vent to where it hits them in the head, I certainly wouldn't tell them that's what I'm doing. I would just say that the air vent is there and adjustable in volume and direction for my comfort. I have chosen to position it the way I have because that's what's comfortable for me. Just as you have chosen to position your seat in a way that is comfortable for you.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:49 am

I never recline my seat if there is someone behind me becuase I am respectful of others space!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justhere
Which is what the OP did. Imposed on the person behind him for his own comfort.
Using the capabilities of a seat given to you by the airline is not an imposition. Demanding that someone refrain from doing so is.

I'm not saying it's his fault that the seats on this plane recline the way they do but the fact that they do does end up imposing on the person behind.
Sorry, but, no -- that is not an imposition. If you are dissatisfied with the amount of space allotted to you by the airline, you have alternatives: book F, book exit row or book bulkhead. Demanding that the person in front of you not use the space allocated to him by the airline is no different than the Passenger of Size demanding that you surrender part of your seat to him. Neither have any claim to space allocated by the airline to someone else.

If I'm the person behind I'm going to ask nicely if they wouldn't mind putting their seat forward just a little.
And, if asked nicely, I might, depending on the circumstances. However, if I am experiencing my fairly chronic neck pain, I will not. Sorry, but I've seen to my needs by ensuring that I booked a seat for which the airline has allocated me recline space. I will not subject myself to pain and discomfort because you did not see to your own seating needs and, instead, have determined that you have some sort of moral claim to my space.

However, if I chose to direct the air vent to where it hits them in the head, I certainly wouldn't tell them that's what I'm doing.
Speaking personally, you'd be doing me a favor. I'm always too warm on flights and would love an additional air vent blowing on me; when there is no one in the seat beside me, I always direct that air vent towards me as well. However, if, for some reason, your doing so discomfited me, I would ask you nicely to redirect it. If you refused, I would pursue the course of action I recommended to the OP, above.

I would just say that the air vent is there and adjustable in volume and direction for my comfort.
Directing it to blow on someone else does nothing to increase your own comfort, and is childish and petty. There is no comparison, and I'm sure you are aware of that.

I have chosen to position it the way I have because that's what's comfortable for me. Just as you have chosen to position your seat in a way that is comfortable for you.
Try that explanation with the FA, purser/senior or, if necessary, pilot and see how far it gets you.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Michael El
While I rarely recline in F or Y, I believe it's within your right to recline your seat. I just can't see how reclining in F is being in her lap. She needs to get over it.

Oh and the vent wouldn't bother me either. I always aim mine full blast at my face as I saw on Dr. Oz that that prevents other pax germs from making you sick. And I'm a germophobe.

The FA threatening to call the cops is a little off the wall.

I agree with DCPatti, that nobody likes a snitch.
Correct on all accounts. It is entirely within your right to recline your seat. And I'm right there with you on the germophobe business.

I also agree that nobody likes a snitch, but bringing it to the attention of the FA initially was the correct call. An airplane is a bad place for passengers to confront one another. Somebody's likely to get shot by an itchy trigger-finger FAM.

WWJD

good way to live
I'm not sure that Bill Belichick would know what to do.

Mike
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
They say the best revenge is living well - I would have ignored the air vent and gone on with my business. Use the blanket if you have to. Row 4 obviously may not have let it rest here but who knows?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
However, if I chose to direct the air vent to where it hits them in the head, I certainly wouldn't tell them that's what I'm doing. I would just say that the air vent is there and adjustable in volume and direction for my comfort. I have chosen to position it the way I have because that's what's comfortable for me. Just as you have chosen to position your seat in a way that is comfortable for you.
That's like arguing that it's OK to repeatedly kick the seat in front of you because it makes you more comfortable.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by PTravel
Using the capabilities of a seat given to you by the airline is not an imposition. Demanding that someone refrain from doing so is.
True, but consider this: raising the window shade is also using the item's designed capabilities, but the resultant glare can be problematic to those around you, and can make it more difficult for them to enjoy their flight.
I'm not trying to rehash the recline-or-not debate, nor the shades-up-or-down debate, only trying to demonstrate that the close quarters of an airplane mean that *even when using something as it is designed,* there is a potentially negative impact for your neighbor. That's just what happens when you cram 200 people into an airplane. Even the way you stow your bag in the bin (do you just throw it up there, or do you arrange it in an attempt to conserve space for others?) has an impact on others. If all the passengers were courteous and thought about the impact of their actions on others, then travel wouldn't be the complete slog that it can be sometimes.

And I think we all agree that Air Vent Lady was out of line, and "started" the problem, but that does not give the OP permission to throw fuel onto the fire. The threat of taking the other passenger's picture, the status-dropping, the warning of flyertalk postings, all add up to a hostile gesture whether or not one considers the involvement of the FA as equally hostile.

Simply put: just because the other person is being a jerk doesn't make it OK for you to also be a jerk. It's as true on a plane as it is anywhere else.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti
Simply put: just because the other person is being a jerk doesn't make it OK for you to also be a jerk.
But what if I paid the extra Be An In-Flight Jerk!(sm) fee at online checkin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.