Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live, Interesting Seat Recline dispute, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cwe84
To be honest if I was the F/A on that flight. I would look at you both and say " You two are grown adults in the First class cabin, GROW UP" and I would walk away. F/A's are not there to settle your little squabbles. Next thing you know we get involved in the "nuh uhn" and "hes touching me" BS..... I bet one of you two stamped your foot too didn't you.... God knows F/A's have much better things to do than be your mother.
+1 ^ ^ ^
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
The behavior of both passengers disappoints me. The OP chose to recline, which is within his right but causes the passenger behind him to be less comfortable; the other pasenger chose a hostile reply-- the air vent positioning-- to show her displeasure, rather than a polite request to not recline quite so far. The OP then chose his own hostile response--- instead of just ingoring it, he chose to engage the FA, and the two start this silly tit-for-tat game. The threat of picture-taking is a very hostile move; it serves no purpose other than a "nanny nanny, you're gonna be in trouble" taunt.

I think the FA is 100% in his right to use threat of the police to try and keep two misbehaving passengers in order. It's 100% reasonable for him to imagine that the situation between the passengers might deteriorate to the point that there's an actual altercation. Nobody wants or needs that at 36,000 feet.

I think both passengers need to try to respect one another. You risk being set to the Naughty Chair for some time-out.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cwe84
To be honest if I was the F/A on that flight. I would look at you both and say " You two are grown adults in the First class cabin, GROW UP" and I would walk away. F/A's are not there to settle your little squabbles. Next thing you know we get involved in the "nuh uhn" and "hes touching me" BS..... I bet one of you two stamped your foot too didn't you.... God knows F/A's have much better things to do than be your mother.
^^

Originally Posted by dcpatti
The behavior of both passengers disappoints me. The OP chose to recline, which is within his right but causes the passenger behind him to be less comfortable; the other pasenger chose a hostile reply-- the air vent positioning-- to show her displeasure, rather than a polite request to not recline quite so far. The OP then chose his own hostile response--- instead of just ingoring it, he chose to engage the FA, and the two start this silly tit-for-tat game. The threat of picture-taking is a very hostile move; it serves no purpose other than a "nanny nanny, you're gonna be in trouble" taunt.
^^

Neither side handled the situation well. The air vent was insanely childish. However, you should have just turned around and said "if you would like me to not recline as far, you could just ask." Then move up some (not all the way) and you come out the bigger person. The FA deal just brought you down to her level.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by dcpatti
the other pasenger chose a hostile reply-- the air vent positioning-- to show her displeasure, rather than a polite request to not recline quite so far.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this OP would not have reacted amicably, even if the woman gave a polite request to not recline so far.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
duplicate post

Last edited by beofotch; Nov 7, 2011 at 10:17 am Reason: duplicate post
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ramblers63
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this OP would not have reacted amicably, even if the woman gave a polite request to not recline so far.
I would hope the OP (and any of us FT folks) would respond amicably to such a request if it was politely worded.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would ask for the purser or senior FA and explain the recline debate (I would not mention the photo-on-FT threat). If the response is unsatisfactory, I would write a short, calm letter to US and explain your disappointment in the FA who, rather than dealing himself with the aggressive and hostile woman seated behind you, made his problem your problem by requiring you to submit to her aggression.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Resolution

It was insightful to read FlyerTalk’s initial perspectives with this situation, including those in agreement and disagreement. Thanks for chiming in.

I believe we have now achieved resolution with the situation. Here is what played out:

• I placed my pillow on the back of my head to retard the air coming out of 4D’s air vent. This allowed me to remain comfortable while the air vent was directed on me.
• While waiting in line for the restroom, the Flight Attendant apologized to me for losing his cool and threatening to call the police. I told him no worries, and we talked for 3 – 5 minutes about college football
• Either my threat to take her picture and post it online in exchange for turning the vent off me or the pillow thwarting the negative effects to me caused 4D to cease putting her vent on me.
• When I attempted to recline again after returning from the bathroom, 4D was physically blocking my ability to recline while I continued to work on my PC. I summoned the flight attendant and told him “the passenger behind me is physically blocking my seat from being able to recline.” He asked her to allow me to recline which I did until a few minutes ago when I completed with my work on my PC and moved my seat up to the non-reclined position.

So all in all, an unpleasant situation that did eventually resolve without getting too ugly. If I could do it again I would have taken the same stance, because: a) I have a right to recline my seat (and I wasn’t reclined all the way back), particularly when I work. While I am tall I never protest the passenger in front of me reclining, even when on a middle seat in coach; b) I don’t appreciate a threatening, inappropriate tone from another passenger; c) think it is a tort to intentionally open your air vent and direct it at another passenger to irritate he or she and not one to recline your seat. A more courteous tone from the passenger and I would have considered moving my seat up. D) I think the threat of being posted on-line did factor into 4D’s decision to cease having the vent open or continuing to have a threatening tone with me. After I said this, this adversarial behavior ended.

Final thoughts:

- I thought it was appropriate to have the flight attendant assist in adjudicating the situation as he represents the airline and has authority over the cabin during the flight
- The passenger in seat 3F (my seat opponent) agreed with me and even went so far as to call 4D a b!tch for her behavior. While I wouldn’t go that far, from his perspective he was on my side. I didn’t get a feel for the attitudes or perspectives of the other passengers.
- I saw on the passenger manifest 4D’s status, Chairman. I am curious if she is just having a bad day or continually takes the tone given to me any time a passenger in front of her reclines
- I harbor no ill will for 4D. When we land, I’ll offer to help her with her bag. However, I feel rightly just in being able to recline while I work, and defend myself from having an unpleasant air stream intentionally directed towards me.
- I don’t think I will complain about the flight attendant’s threat to call the policy as he did apologize for it later

Last edited by beofotch; Nov 7, 2011 at 10:14 am
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:08 am

WWJD

good way to live
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by ramblers63
I suspect you're right. The air vent thing is uncalled-for, but the OP comes across as someone that many of us might enjoy annoying, for the nutty reaction alone if for nothing else.

It's been a while since I practiced law, but the OP would probably be within his rights to take a photo, except for the instruction from the FA not to. Then you're disobeying a directive from a crew member and that just won't end well for you.

Besides, the threat to do so needlessly escalated the situation and comes across as silly and juvenile. Silly, because I'd hope that the mods here would trash that thread as soon as it was posted. And juvenile, because "I'm telling!" (or is it "I'm blogging!") is something my 6 and 7 year old kids say to each other -- and they don't get away with it either.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: Formerly US CP & AA EXP, now Gold
Sorry, but I don't find either party's behavior appropriate. As a matter of consideration for other passengers, the only time I recline a seat is when I am flying trans-Atlantic in business class (and I am 6' 1", so I am not short, but also not as tall as the OP). Even on a red-eye in coach, I will sleep with my seat fully upright.

The OP wanted to recline his seat so he could work. I don't think I saw any indication of what the person in back was trying to do, but even in 1st class on the 321, the OP's recline might have made it very difficult for the person in back to use her laptop, depending on how far back the OP reclined his seat.

While I don't expect other people to view the world the way I do, I would hope for a higher degree of consideration for other passengers for both the OP and the person in back of him. Some mutual respect would go a long way, especially as airlines take more and more space out of their aircraft.

Regards,

David
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CLTF
WWJD

good way to live
^

But I think He would offer to sit in coach.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCGooner
I suspect you're right. but the OP comes across as someone that many of us might enjoy annoying, for the nutty reaction alone if for nothing else.
While you only have this one instance to draw from to make inferences as how I "come across", I am comfortable that it is not reality. I believe those that I interact with on a daily or ad-hoc basis find me peaceful, polite, respectful, and professional. In this instance 4Ds tone and adversarial behavior caused me to defend myself, which in this case included a threat of posting her picture online (which I believe was legal, moral, and successful).
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by beofotch
Resolution

- I thought it was appropriate to have the flight attendant assist in adjudicating the situation as he represents the airline and has authority over the cabin during the flight
"No one likes a tattle-tale." It was true when you were 7, and it's still true today. There is simply NO reason that two grown adults cannot resolve a dispute over something as minor as seat position without having to engage a third-party mediator. Engaging a third party sends a message that you are not interested in resolving the situation directly with the other passenger. Good manners and an honest attempt to find some common ground will go a lot further. People work these things out amongst themselves EVERY SINGLE DAY without having to involve the flight attendant.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: miles & more , AEGEAN miles&bonus GOLD
A seat's "normal" position is reclined.
It must not be reclined only during taxiing, take-off or when so instructed by the captain (mealtimes etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.