Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded from F... What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by ariyo15
As usual, dcpatti was spot on. A few things on my end though:

1) I completely agree with the most of you in saying that because it was a complimentary UG, I don't really deserve compensation. That having been said, I wasn't thrilled with the GA, so I did shoot an email to the fine folks at GP.

2) As you see above, I was told I could keep my row 1 seat (together with my fiancee), only to be told an hour later that we'd have to give it up.

3) Yes, I am GP thanks to the HSJ promo. Here's the interesting part. The guy sitting next to us in the bulk head let it slip that he's in his "extra year" of GP, and that he has hardly flown at all - he really earned his GP in late 2009. Why is that important info? Well, turns out his wife was sitting in F (row 4) - and she wasn't even preferred at all! So, for me, having twenty-something thousand miles isn't so much. But, I know for a fact that it was more than that guy (or his wife). No way to know anything about the others who kept their seats/got bumped, but that didn't make me too happy. The only thing I noticed, was that there had been one couple who had been downgraded, only to be re-upgraded, ending up in F. I wonder if they complained and got me (and my fiancee) bumped down.

4) Like I said, once I got bumped up (at the three-day window), I still noticed at least three or four F seats on the USAirways.com seat map... Obviously someone had to be bumped up. My guess is that it was at least one SP. Why then, did I get the bump? Who knows...
maybe she took his seat or paid for F with miles?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
The USAirways.com seat map is not an accurate indication of the inventory. Just because there are, say, 4 open seats doesn't mean there's 4 UNSOLD seats. When I book corporate travel I usually don't bother with making a seat selection; I genuinely don't care, and I don't bother going back and choosing a seat till I OLCI. Codeshares also sometimes do not allow a passenger to select a seat. So don't assume that just because the seat map said there were X seats empty, means that there are that many seats unsold.

The "extra year" of Gold is someone who doesn't understand the subtleties of the program. When you qualify for Gold in late 2010 it is good thru Feb 2012, and when you qualify in late 2009 it is good thru feb 2011. So this other gold is not in an "extra year" of Gold at all; he's still on the benefits of what he earned in 2009. I'm not sure who outranks who when it comes to day of travel upgrades--- I do know that BIS miles come into play at some point--- but it does sound like this fellow did the chivalrous thing and let his wife ride up front, or that they paid in miles or even a "go" upgrade.

and when someone says they haven't flown that much this year, it's all relative. If I dropped down to, say, a quarterly trip to England and nothing else, I'd consider it not travelling at all but I'd still be getting over 20k BIS miles!

At any rate I don't think we will ever get an answer from US as to why one passenger was chosen for an upgrade over another passenger, but it's good to keep in mind that the seat map doesn't reflect reality, just so we don't torture ourselves on the details.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
I really despise US' practice of "lopping" the 4th row of F when there's an equipment change. You could easily have CP's that get downgraded and Silver+Golds that remain in F.

Sure, reshuffling the F cabin at the last minute is not easy to do, but I really think that it needs to be done properly, by order of:

1) Paid F
2) Upgraded with something (miles, paid, etc)
3) Free upgrades, by order of status.

HTSC
You will find GA that disagree, but US air policy that miles = money. That means that you have the same status using miles for a seat as someone does using cash. Equals both for "paid seat" and"upgrade"

As to status, if you were chair and wife none and both got upgraded, a P or G would have "rank" on you for the seat.

That being said, you have nothing to loose writing a "nice" letter asking clarification and you thought that one with lesser status stayed
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I do know that BIS miles come into play at some point---
Not BIS but PQM. For UG, elites are sorted by status and then PQM's using a rolling 12 month total.

There is another thread regarding PQM's resetting to zero on Jan 1 and this is correct for earning the next year's status, but US does keep track of the previous year's PQM's for this rolling 12 month UG "tiebreaker".

Only when you are passed-over at your UG window does the OLCI order come into play.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I've seen it first-hand that free upgrades were "lopped" from row 4 when there's an equipment change. The gentleman next to me in row 2 was G, and some CP's were lopped from the back of F.

I've also been lopped once from row 4 as a CP.

HTSC

Originally Posted by meisterau
You will find GA that disagree, but US air policy that miles = money. That means that you have the same status using miles for a seat as someone does using cash. Equals both for "paid seat" and"upgrade"

As to status, if you were chair and wife none and both got upgraded, a P or G would have "rank" on you for the seat.

That being said, you have nothing to loose writing a "nice" letter asking clarification and you thought that one with lesser status stayed
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
I've seen it first-hand that free upgrades were "lopped" from row 4 when there's an equipment change. The gentleman next to me in row 2 was G, and some CP's were lopped from the back of F.

I've also been lopped once from row 4 as a CP.

HTSC
Guess the computer sees rows 1 - 3 and if no row 4, too bad. Perhaps thatbis what happened to OP is that paid FC in row 4

Another good reason not to get row 4
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by airgator
Not BIS but PQM.
This is not completely correct. The figure used for upgrade priority is PQMs but PQMs earned on US/USX metal only, not any of the PQMs earned on partners. So if a CP has 150,000 PQM (but only 50,000 of those on US) and another CP has 120,000 PQM (with 100,000 of those on US), the upgrade would first be given to CP #2.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
This is not completely correct. The figure used for upgrade priority is PQMs but PQMs earned on US/USX metal only, not any of the PQMs earned on partners.
You are correct. My apologies for not being a little clearer.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I think you have a valid point here. Contact customer service, explain what happened, and kindly request two UG vouchers. At worst, US will just say "no."
I think US Airways' customer service department stopped issuing upgrade vouchers after Parker took over.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by meisterau
Another good reason not to get row 4
Although for those that prefer the last row of F (whether it be 3 or 4), the advantages outweigh the risk of the rare aircraft swap (and even the rarer non-like for like swap).

Riding in the back of F is like riding in a limo...no, not really.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
After shooting an email to e GP desk, I finally got a reply honestly, I wasn't expecting anything so I was quite pleased to see we were both awarded a $50 travel cert - valid for any flight when booking over the phone.

Overall, I'm happy - haha. Why wouldn't I be!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: US Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Wally Bird AZ
I've got one better than that. Got upgraded at the gate in PHX to PHL on a 757. Boarded, seated, settled in. As bording completes, gate agent boarded the plane, said the person bumped showed up and apologetically added that I needed to be reseated in coach. FAs took care of me during the flight so I really did not have any gripes...plus the person next to me in FC seemed a bit eccentric so it was not the end of the world. Like I said the FAs salvaged the PR situation big time by turning lemons to lemonade. And I agree with other commenters here...I paid for coach, I got coach.
Your GA and FA were different from mine. I was connecting through CLT with a confirmed UG, got to the gate, and was told I lost my seat because the GA "didn't think I would make the connection". The FA said "sorry it's up to the GA". I was put in a middle seat in coach and didn't receive a glance from the FA during the flight.

I sent a letter to customer service and am still waiting for a reply....
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: US Chairman
Originally Posted by Wally Bird AZ
I've got one better than that. Got upgraded at the gate in PHX to PHL on a 757. Boarded, seated, settled in. As bording completes, gate agent boarded the plane, said the person bumped showed up and apologetically added that I needed to be reseated in coach. FAs took care of me during the flight so I really did not have any gripes...plus the person next to me in FC seemed a bit eccentric so it was not the end of the world. Like I said the FAs salvaged the PR situation big time by turning lemons to lemonade. And I agree with other commenters here...I paid for coach, I got coach.
I had a similar situation, albeit from the other side, and had the complete opposite reaction. The first leg of my flight was delayed, so I barely made it to my connecting flight where I was the last one on the plane (if the gates hadn't been directly across from each other, I probably wouldn't have made it). After getting on the plane, I saw that someone was in my seat in FC. He had been moved there as they thought I was going to miss the flight. Instead of having him return to his original seat, they made me take it.

I did write a letter to which they gave me a $50 voucher. I couldn't get too upset, as with what everyone else has said, I paid for coach, so that's where I should expect to sit. My biggest gripe was that they had moved someone before boarding was complete.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: US Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by RIC Hokie
I had a similar situation, albeit from the other side
Same situation as mine

I did write a letter to which they gave me a $50 voucher.
This is the only difference - maybe I should follow up.

I couldn't get too upset, as with what everyone else has said, I paid for coach, so that's where I should expect to sit.
Admittedly true

My biggest gripe was that they had moved someone before boarding was complete.
... based on assumptions, and no thought about apology or admitting a mistake or any kind of compensation.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Originally Posted by takeAflyer
Same situation as mine

This is the only difference - maybe I should follow up.

Admittedly true

... based on assumptions, and no thought about apology or admitting a mistake or any kind of compensation.
Yes you all paid for a coach seat and shouldn't have too much to complain about when you have to fly in one, but I still think its a problem that US's policy re: last minute boarders is so muddled. I mean we have examples of people arriving just as the door is closing and losing their seat because they GA didn't think they were going to make it, and other examples of those people being accommodated and other people already situated in F being moved back to coach. They really should come up with a coherent policy so that people could be prepared for the eventual outcome if it were to happen. I mean what happens when that person forced to move back to Y after already situating him/herself in F discovers that there is no space in the overhead bins above his/her seat or any seat for that matter? I mean the FA's should just put it in the F closet as a courtesy, but I imagine many would be loath to do that. That's just one of many examples why there should be some standardized policy for this situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.