FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1103160-new-us-promo-hop-skip-jump-higher-level-preferred-status.html)

airgator Oct 29, 2010 7:42 am

My email from DMCS said 7 to 14 days from trial end for the h/s/j status bump. I completed my 30th segment Wednesday and my trial ends early next week. Although I anticipate a week, a will report back when it happens.

mrredskin Oct 29, 2010 11:55 am

Originally Posted by jayball (Post 15036070)
I know there are several people in here who combined the Silver trial with the H/S/J promo to move up several levels. Just wondering how long it took for your status to update after your trial period ended - I made Gold with the trial, which for me ended 10/27, but my status hasn't updated from my H/S/Js yet.

I do have confirmed from DMSC that I am supposed to be bumped to Platinum, was just wondering if it's normal for it to take several days after the trial ends and if I should be contacting DMSC again at this point.

Thanks!

i would wait more than two days. mine took three. it could take up to a week

PaulInTheSky Oct 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 15037834)

Mine was bumped to PP and CP on the same date, Oct 24, 2010, so to jayball, you can wait a little before DMSC takes care of your account.

jayball Oct 29, 2010 5:13 pm

Status updated to Plat while I flew back from Indy today! What a great program.

webrobby Nov 2, 2010 5:51 pm

BOOK & TRAVEL JULY 7-October 10??

Question - did anyone have a trip that was booked say July 2nd but flown in August count towards this promotion?

I emailed DMSC of course they pointed out to me that the terms state (rather loosley) that you should book and fly within July 7-October 10. I guess I didn't read the "book" part but should have known better. Hoping there was an exception or a more clear rule mentioned somewhere else from US? Let me know!

Thanks

miffSC Nov 2, 2010 8:05 pm

It was stated pretty clearly in the T&C's that you had to book and fly after July 6th and before October 10th in order to qualify for the promo. There were several individuals (me included) who had prior travel booked for that time and it did not count. That being said, some pre-planned travel that I just happened to wait to book did end up counting - and I didn't count it in my overall expense because it was a necessary trip. I, too, have missed out on some promos because I didn't read carefully. There's a lesson in that ;)

airgator Nov 4, 2010 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 15037834)

Chairman!

I've been checking the US website every few hours and it shows now. It took 2 days. Maybe this should be called "Dirt to CP is 8 easy flights".

Thanks to FT, I enrolled in the free Silver trial in August. In the 90 days I took 8 flights, 6 real and 2 MR's (one was a segment run really). In the free trial you are maxed out at PP but I did 4 in the h/s/j for the final status bump. Since it seems to be asked regularly, I offer the following:

8 flights - 6 real and 2 MR's, which is;
30 segments - 21 real and 9 MR's, which reflects;
20,120 BIS miles - 11,883 real and 8,237 MR, add;
9,737 double-up PQM's - 4,000 real and 5,737 MR

Cost?
$1,288 real plus $662 MR for a total ai of $1,950

In the above I did not include the 3,000 PQM's for the Club (got that with the $249 rate) and the 6,000 with GS.

I would have achieved Gold (again, with the reduced trial requirements) without the MR's. It is because of the support and encouragement of FT'ers that I made the push for CP. My concern was what one here referred to as the "dilution of goldness".

Thanks all. See you in F.

MB4674 Dec 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Final results

Originally Posted by MB4674 (Post 14944514)
We're up to 68 responses! Please don't forget to respond to the H/S/J Survey if you got new status with the promo.

Here are the final results from the H/S/J Survey...

http://vysa.net/images/HSJ.jpg

miffSC Dec 30, 2010 6:28 pm

I just love statistics! Especially when they are presented in such a clear manner. Thank you MB4674 for compiling and presenting this... very interesting!

As someone who actually achieved 8 HSJ's to Chairman's, it was quite interesting to see that only 10% of the respondants completed eight. Let's just hope US has a similar promotion next year so that I will be able to hold on to it :)

Saulinpa Dec 30, 2010 6:43 pm

If most people did 4 or less then it probably didn't cost USAir much for this program. Hopefully they see it as bringing in business and do it again. It worked for me! :)

airgator Dec 30, 2010 8:05 pm

Knowing that these results reflect FT'ers and possibly not all h/s/j participants at large, this says several interesting things.

1) 90% of respondents achieved GP or better yet 81% earned only 4 h/s/j points. Obviously, the vast majority of those who took advantage of this were already elites at some level.
2) Only 6% used it to get to SP. If you are a low mileage flier they this makes sense. Do one big h/s/j MR, which could be done in one day, and you are SP for a year. Not to shabby. Better than buying-up, but then you aren't flying much to take advantage.
3) Assuming the mid-point cost (meaning the 7 respondents at $0 - $99 each really spent $50) then $18,600 was spent to get 377 points, or $50 per point. Note that this is off since the survey asked for points earned (total) but for cost only beyond normal flying - apples and oranges. What this does say though is that when paying for their own points (ie, beyond normal travel) FT'ers were making the local runs. Nobody went to Juneau for $50. I had never been to BTR before.
4) One person got 16 points. That has be be one crazy schedule.
5) 75 respondents moved a total of 85 levels at an average cost of $218 per level. You can't buy up for anything close to that.

Again, this reflects FT and not DM in general. Someone (DCPatti?) made a comment elsewhere and ago that a DM account was like an investment that needed to be managed and watched. This is proof that many agree.

MB4674 Dec 30, 2010 9:16 pm

Very nice analysis!

While this casual survey reflects only a small sample (and admittedly a bit of bias considering our FT "motivations" to become/stay elite), I did find it interesting to compare the actual effort and cost folks were willing to take on to enhance their flying experience vs. simply buying-up requiring little effort and time, but would be cost prohibitive for most to attain the same level.

It would seem to me that the curious FT participants did indeed fully recognize the value of the HSJ promotion and were willing to invest their time wisely to reap the elite benefits throughout the next year or so.

For me, I use several carriers and I would have not made it to CP without this promotion. Actually, my PP status is through an AX Centurion nomination, so I only needed 4 points to get there. So, my route to get to CP wasn't very conventional, but I imagine one of the great benefits of participating on FT for all of us is to use unconventional and creative ways to travel well.

mileshound Dec 31, 2010 3:50 pm

An interesting stat would be

1) What would you have been without HSJ
and
2) What are you with HSJ

I know CPs who would have dropped significantly who requalified for CP due to HSJ.

I was a silver who would have been dirt in 2011 but with HSJ I am gold. In essence 1 day of flying got me the equivilant of 35,000+ preferred miles.

These are the types that are the real winners.

BOS2DCA Dec 31, 2010 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 15557552)
An interesting stat would be

1) What would you have been without HSJ

88134 miles and 90 segments, so PP.

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 15557552)
2) What are you with HSJ
CP and did it for less than $200

offshoretjd Jan 1, 2011 6:24 am

Question

So I just saw this thread, and thus just found out about the promo. I know its over, but I went thru the rules anyway and it seems that you could have participated without actually knowing about it.

I booked and flew about 10 flights in that time period, used my Div miles numbers........is it worth calling US and trying to get some back credit or will they tell me to go pound sand?