FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1103160-new-us-promo-hop-skip-jump-higher-level-preferred-status.html)

ellinj Oct 24, 2010 9:43 pm

Anyone get a new card yet?

ludocdoc Oct 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj (Post 15006671)
Anyone get a new card yet?

They were coming about once a week for a while there... ^^^

ellinj Oct 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by ludocdoc (Post 15006690)
They were coming about once a week for a while there... ^^^

How long after your first bump?

ludocdoc Oct 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj (Post 15006693)
How long after your first bump?

A week or two I think. I got the PLAT card just after I made CP, and the lag was 2 weeks if I recall.

PaulInTheSky Oct 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by TAWS (Post 14996853)
Spent about $1100 for the 30 segments (~$400 for the HSJ flights) but some of those flights I needed to take anyways. I figure it only really costs me half of that once you count the miles, so not bad.

Could you share some thoughts of how good Boston is in terms of ticket pricing? What cities did you go to in order to get ~$36.7/segment? That's truly a wonderful price! I definitely spent more than that.

TAWS Oct 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 (Post 15017878)
Could you share some thoughts of how good Boston is in terms of ticket pricing? What cities did you go to in order to get ~$36.7/segment? That's truly a wonderful price! I definitely spent more than that.

Well I did most of my travel in September, probably the cheapest month to travel. Did same-day mileage runs to either DFW or MIA (which were only $180 for 6 segments at the time). The trick is to find flights that connect in both PHL and CLT, so you get 6 segments.

This site is really helpful for finding the cheapest mileage runs
http://www.farecompare.com/search/flyertalk.html

Right now, you can go from BOS --> LAX for ~230. Combine that with the double bonus promo for BOS, 100% CP bonus, and 100% mastercard bonus, and you get 22,000 RDM. Cheap way to get miles if anyone has spare time.

PaulInTheSky Oct 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by TAWS (Post 15018160)
Well I did most of my travel in September, probably the cheapest month to travel. Did same-day mileage runs to either DFW or MIA (which were only $180 for 6 segments at the time). The trick is to find flights that connect in both PHL and CLT, so you get 6 segments.

This site is really helpful for finding the cheapest mileage runs
http://www.farecompare.com/search/flyertalk.html

Right now, you can go from BOS --> LAX for ~230. Combine that with the double bonus promo for BOS, 100% CP bonus, and 100% mastercard bonus, and you get 22,000 RDM. Cheap way to get miles if anyone has spare time.

One catch for that is the mastercard bonus 100% is only for USAirways mastercards. 50% for normal mastercard.

I just did a little search and I found out USAirways only gave you one connection from BOS to MIA/DFW. Probably some tricks that I have to take a look again.

I got the the flyertalk compare, but normally it only gives you the cheapest route for one way, not RT. Of course it would give you a little idea of how you can get that done.

I did BOS --> BWI quick turnaround and it cost around $140 for six segments. PHL and CLT connections at the same time? I doubted.

TAWS Oct 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 (Post 15018221)
One catch for that is the mastercard bonus 100% is only for USAirways mastercards. 50% for normal mastercard.

I just did a little search and I found out USAirways only gave you one connection from BOS to MIA/DFW. Probably some tricks that I have to take a look again.

I got the the flyertalk compare, but normally it only gives you the cheapest route for one way, not RT. Of course it would give you a little idea of how you can get that done.

I did BOS --> BWI quick turnaround and it cost around $140 for six segments. PHL and CLT connections at the same time? I doubted.

If I had to do it again, I would have probably gone for the 22,500 miles rather than the 30 segments since I could have flown to Europe or somewhere more interesting. I did the segments because I figured it would be cheaper since I had to do those HSJ flights.

Also if you don't have a US airways mastercard, I think you can get the debit card and still get the bonus. You would get a grand slam hit also.

mrredskin Oct 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Well, it's now official. Just noticed my icon changed to Gold within the past hour. I took part in the Silver trial having not flown US since I was about 5 years old (20+ years ago), did a 7-seg in mid-August while tossing in a 'skip', then a planned trip to DFW which completed my west hop and an MLB on the return to finalize my jump.

13 Segments, ~8000 miles, and now Gold :)

miffSC Oct 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 15018411)
Well, it's now official. Just noticed my icon changed to Gold within the past hour. I took part in the Silver trial having not flown US since I was about 5 years old (20+ years ago), did a 7-seg in mid-August while tossing in a 'skip', then a planned trip to DFW which completed my west hop and an MLB on the return to finalize my jump.

13 Segments, ~8000 miles, and now Gold :)

Many Congratulations! ^^^ It's a good feeling isn't it? I loved doing this promo!

BoeingBoy Oct 26, 2010 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 15018411)
since I was about 5 years old (20+ years ago)

First, congrats on Gold.

Second, I officially feel old now.

Jim

mrredskin Oct 27, 2010 7:02 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy (Post 15021040)
First, congrats on Gold.

Second, I officially feel old now.

Jim

ha, i wouldn't. i'm probably one of the younger ones that posts on here

PrivatetoComercial Oct 27, 2010 7:40 am

Not the only young one

I've been silver for a year, and cranked out the hop, skip, jump this year to get to gold.
I may even win most creative routing:
PHX-CLT-FCO-PHL-PHX

I'm only 25...so of course everytime i go to the priority lines I get weird looks, and they always want to see my card.

mrredskin Oct 27, 2010 7:57 am

Originally Posted by PrivatetoComercial (Post 15022505)
I've been silver for a year, and cranked out the hop, skip, jump this year to get to gold.
I may even win most creative routing:
PHX-CLT-FCO-PHL-PHX

I'm only 25...so of course everytime i go to the priority lines I get weird looks, and they always want to see my card.

i would have rather done your route than my cha-clt-rdu-lga-bos-phl-clt-cha that i managed in one day that only earned half, altho worked towards silver trial also. i'd much rather visit rome than laguardia.

i get weird looks all the time if i get upgraded.. especially since i'll go with shorts and a college tee!

jayball Oct 29, 2010 7:15 am

Question for those who did Silver trial + H/S/J

I know there are several people in here who combined the Silver trial with the H/S/J promo to move up several levels. Just wondering how long it took for your status to update after your trial period ended - I made Gold with the trial, which for me ended 10/27, but my status hasn't updated from my H/S/Js yet.

I do have confirmed from DMSC that I am supposed to be bumped to Platinum, was just wondering if it's normal for it to take several days after the trial ends and if I should be contacting DMSC again at this point.

Thanks!