FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1103160-new-us-promo-hop-skip-jump-higher-level-preferred-status.html)

DCAorBust Jul 7, 2010 2:15 pm

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Between now and October 10 become a CP for 2011 in 16 flights or less depending on your current status.
See: Hop, skip and jump for Preferred status

treznor Jul 7, 2010 2:43 pm

Those flights have to be pretty specific though, not just random flights.

To move up a level you need 4 'hops, skips, & jumps' from:
- 8 Geographic regions
- Shuttle
- 11 Specific routes

Each one you qualify for only counts once. You actually could qualify in only 7/8 flights if you pick those flights very carefully (as the specific routes actually would cover the geographic regions as well).

Bagette Jul 7, 2010 2:48 pm

OK, I'm just not understanding how this will work. For example, would PHX-PHL-MAD (RT) count for 3 --North America (West), North America (East), and Europe? Or would it just count for 1 (Europe)?

charlotteimmigration Jul 7, 2010 2:54 pm

I am very confused by this
is registration auto?
or what do I need to do

here is my current travel

1)CLT-DCA
DCA-LGA (shuttle)

2) CLT-IAH

3) IAH-CLT

4) CLT-SJD (new route) (also east USA to mexico jump)

5) SJD-CLT (new route) (also USA to mexico jump)

6) CLT-Ottawa-CLT (new route)

Will I get 5 points? or 7 points or just 4?

I could really use gold or plat

DCAorBust Jul 7, 2010 3:07 pm

I find it all very confusing, but I think that it's clear that a segment only counts once. "You can only count each hop, skip, or jump one time: once you’ve checked it off your list you can’t count it again." Thus a DCA>LGA "skip" would count as a shuttle skip, but not a "hop" within the east.

Interesting that this is segment based, not round trips.

Also note that travel must be booked after 7/7.

charlotteimmigration Jul 7, 2010 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by DCAorBust (Post 14259982)
I find it all very confusing, but I think that it's clear that a segment only counts once. "You can only count each hop, skip, or jump one time: once you’ve checked it off your list you can’t count it again." Thus a DCA>LGA "skip" would count as a shuttle skip, but not a "hop" within the east.

actually it says travel must be booked for travel between 7/7 and 10/10
so I think pre-existing reservations count

"I’m in! How do I start earning hops, skips and jumps?

There's no registration. Just buy your tickets and travel between July 7, 2010 and October 10, 2010 and remember to include your Dividend Miles number. It’s that easy. We'll keep track of your hop, skip and jump count and we’ll increase your Preferred status level when you earn at least 4."

so I already bought my tickets and do intend to travel after july 7 so should be all good

charlotteimmigration Jul 7, 2010 3:30 pm

just called US to clarify
MUST be bought today onwards.....
typical BS
forget the 3-4k revenue I ALREADY have booked
hahaha
ooooh USAirways

flyzabit Jul 7, 2010 3:57 pm

Here is what I am looking at:
"We'll add your count of hops, skips and jumps and your total count will determine your Preferred status:

1, 2, or 3 hops, skips and jumps will not change your current Preferred status.
4 to 7 hops, skips, and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up one level.
8 to 11 hops, skips and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up two levels.
12 to 15 hops, skips and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up three levels.
16 or more hops, skips and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up four levels.
Your new Preferred status will be good for the 2011 Preferred year, which ends February 29, 2012.

Note... this DOES state by "flight segment".
OK - so if one is Gold, and does unique 8 h/s/j between 7/7-10/10/10, then one becomes Chairman's Preferred? Through the rest of this year AND all of next year (as it is after July 1 as they usually do for preferred status promos, and because they say so?)
It would appear that a r/t via CLT/PHL to the Caribbean would be 3 segments (N-A West; Caribbean; N/A west), for example -- unless PHX-MBJ was the destination for a 4th segment. So, a 2nd trip to Mexico or Hawaii (or a shuttle segment) would make the 4th for 1 level increase.
(Class of service does not matter.)

Holy Guacamole! Time to fly!

johnep1 Jul 7, 2010 4:01 pm

Well - I haven't bought a ticket on US since April due to the choice seating BS, but this might temp me as a current plat with only 15k or so EQMs so far this year and no previous plans for any more.

Now I just need to find a RT from CLT that gets all 4 of these. Something like CLT-DCA-LGA-PHX-BTR-CLT. I think it would have to be done in that order so that the BTR-CLT flight doesn't fill up a hop instead of a jump.

DCAorBust Jul 7, 2010 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by DCAorBust (Post 14259982)

Correcting myself. It looks as though the FAQ provides a bit of clarity. "[F]lights can have multiple counts." Thus a shuttle flight will count for both a hop within the East & a skip.

flyzabit Jul 7, 2010 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by DCAorBust (Post 14259646)
Between now and October 10 become a CP for 2011 in 16 flights or less depending on your current status.
See: Hop, skip and jump for Preferred status

Not -quite- true. To travel to a region, or on the new routes, one would have to consider that you only get credit for the region once, or the new market once, but presumably would have to travel round-trip in most cases.

4 is pretty easy, 8 is reasonable (but may involve a couple more segments than 8). To reach 12 and definitely 16, you will have some round trips where only one flight will count as a hop, skip, or jump.

As noted above, a segment may count for both a new route AND a region, however (as 2 h/s/j for 1 flight segment).
But they may be confused on their regions: (MX = C/A, not N/A by diagram) Their words from T&C: "Can a single flight count for multiple hops, skips or jumps? -- Yes, a number of flights can have multiple counts. For example, Charlotte to Puerto Vallarta counts for a North America, east hop and a Mexico/Central America hop and a Charlotte to Puerto Vallarta jump. Boston to New York La Guardia counts as both a North America, east hop and a Shuttle skip."

charlotteimmigration Jul 7, 2010 4:27 pm

how do I do this in a MR from CLT in 1 day or 2 days?

All I can see is

CLT-NAS
NAS-BOS via phl
BOS-CLT via DCA

then CLT-newroute-CLT

I really want to do it in 1 day and for under 400 bucks

possible?

GoodOmens Jul 7, 2010 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyzabit (Post 14260291)
Here is what I am looking at:
Note... this DOES state by "flight segment".
OK - so if one is Gold, and does unique 8 h/s/j between 7/7-10/10/10, then one becomes Chairman's Preferred? Through the rest of this year AND all of next year (as it is after July 1 as they usually do for preferred status promos, and because they say so?)
It would appear that a r/t via CLT/PHL to the Caribbean would be 3 segments (N-A West; Caribbean; N/A west), for example -- unless PHX-MBJ was the destination for a 4th segment. So, a 2nd trip to Mexico or Hawaii (or a shuttle segment) would make the 4th for 1 level increase.
(Class of service does not matter.)

Holy Guacamole! Time to fly!

You can only do a particular hop, skip or jump once. You can only do one Caribbean, one shuttle, one NA West, one NA East etc.

It seems that if you could find DCA (or another starting point)-PHX-Montego Bay-DCA for a decent amount you'd be pretty well off because you'd get US East, West, New Route and Jamaica all in one shot.

RIC Hokie Jul 7, 2010 4:35 pm

In looking at this, are we automatically entered...no registration needed? I booked a trip this morning to Minneapolis, so that should be OK since it was booked 7/7 (For Aug travel). I can't tell, is that in North America West? The FAQ says it's defined by the Mississippi River, but doesn't that run right through downtown?

bmvaughn Jul 7, 2010 4:43 pm

There goes US Airways, dividing into US East and US West... :D

bossku69 Jul 7, 2010 4:46 pm

This is a pretty good promo, especially for loyal members that got burned by the "silver trial" program.

But this seems easier than I think... which is why I'm confused haha

I'm close to *G which will be after my 2nd RT flight, so I anticipate that around late August, but I wonder if you get the "bump" right before you quality if they will automatically move you up, or if I complete 4 of these just prior to gold if I need to get the 25k miles to go to plat... hmmm :confused:

chris4096 Jul 7, 2010 4:50 pm

How does this affect current CPs? All you have to do is complete 4 hops and you are CP for another year?

johndeere19 Jul 7, 2010 5:19 pm

Seems like a pretty solid deal...lets try to figure out what the cheapest routes will be for 4, 8, 12 & 16 of these.

DCAorBust Jul 7, 2010 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by chris4096 (Post 14260558)
How does this affect current CPs? All you have to do is complete 4 hops and you are CP for another year?

It's quite confusing. They use the undefined term "pre-offer Preferred status," which could mean the status that you had earned for the 2011 program year prior to the start of the promotion. So if you were at 24,999 miles on 7/6/10, you would still need 16 counts to hit CP under that definition.

CPRich Jul 7, 2010 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration (Post 14260018)
actually it says travel must be booked for travel between 7/7 and 10/10
so I think pre-existing reservations count

There's no registration. Just buy your tickets and travel between July 7, 2010 and October 10, 2010

I belleive it's distributive. Buy your tickets and travel 7/7-10/10 = (buy your tickets 7/7-10/10) AND (travel 7/7-10/10)

So existing reservations don't count.

It appears that a quick PIT-DCA-BOS-PBG-(west)-PIT week will get me CP for 19 months? That's a very good deal, if true.

CPRich Jul 7, 2010 5:27 pm

So what is the timing?

On one page it says "Your new Preferred status will be good for the 2011 Preferred year, which ends February 29, 2012." - which I could infer means 1/1/11-2/29/12.

Elsewhere it says "We'll be updating daily, so once your qualifying flight activities post we'll update your status." and "Your new status will be good through the current program year, February 29, 2012. " - which I infer means it is effective as soon as your fourth segment posts. I would have thought the "current program year" is the, well, current year, which would end 2/28/11, but it then spells out 2012.

I just have this uncomfortable feeling that we'll hear "ooops, we meant 2/28/11, so sorry" - it sounds almost too good to be true.

johnep1 Jul 7, 2010 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 14260731)
So what is the timing?

On one page it says "Your new Preferred status will be good for the 2011 Preferred year, which ends February 29, 2012." - which I could infer means 1/1/11-2/29/12.

Elsewhere it says "We'll be updating daily, so once your qualifying flight activities post we'll update your status." and "Your new status will be good through the current program year, February 29, 2012. " - which I infer means it is effective as soon as your fourth segment posts. I would have thought the "current program year" is the, well, current year, which would end 2/28/11, but it then spells out 2012.

I just have this uncomfortable feeling that we'll hear "ooops, we meant 2/28/11, so sorry" - it sounds almost too good to be true.

I doubt they meant 2/28/11. If so, USAir's intern probably would have typed 2/28/12, but since they figured in leap day, I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing.

bossku69 Jul 7, 2010 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 14260699)
It appears that a quick PIT-DCA-BOS-PBG-(west)-PIT week will get me CP for 19 months? That's a very good deal, if true.

this seems a bit to easy to be honest if so. if thats the case, would be cool to get a few threads going with cheap routes for the most jumps in.

here are some pretty good deals to get the h/s/j done: http://shopping.usairways.com/promot...r/Default.aspx

edit: it also looks like you can only do the hop ONCE, so this would require some flying out of the US to get to the 4 and you really have to do some work for the 8 and 12 ones

dcpatti Jul 7, 2010 5:38 pm

This promo is really complicated!

At first I was kinda peeved that #1 it looks like travel booked before the promo doesn't count, and I'm scheduled solid through to November and #2 this has the potential to create *tons* of CP's which I think dilutes the DM program for everyone. After reading a little more closely, it looks like you can only count each route once or each region once, so it's going to take a little work to get the various levels for status. So I'm not as annoyed, although I really wish US would do away with the cryptic promos like this and the Grand Slam. It's just too much like work.

bossku69 Jul 7, 2010 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti (Post 14260783)
This promo is really complicated!

At first I was kinda peeved that #1 it looks like travel booked before the promo doesn't count, and I'm scheduled solid through to November and #2 this has the potential to create *tons* of CP's which I think dilutes the DM program for everyone. After reading a little more closely, it looks like you can only count each route once or each region once, so it's going to take a little work to get the various levels for status. So I'm not as annoyed, although I really wish US would do away with the cryptic promos like this and the Grand Slam. It's just too much like work.

that was probably their thought was to confuse people and have them buy the same flight 4x hoping to get bumped up.

seems like they will count a single hop flight and then you get one east coast flight, one west coast one, etc. doesnt seem all that difficult to get the single upgrade as you just need one flight form CLT/PHL/PHX and your good.

IMO, id book individual trips and not try to do it all on a single itinerary

johndeere19 Jul 7, 2010 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by DCAorBust (Post 14260696)
It's quite confusing. They use the undefined term "pre-offer Preferred status," which could mean the status that you had earned for the 2011 program year prior to the start of the promotion. So if you were at 24,999 miles on 7/6/10, you would still need 16 counts to hit CP under that definition.

This is very confusing...I have a flight in two weeks that will pull me up to silver and would definitely hop on this and shoot for the 12 segments to go for cp, but if I have to do 16, I don't think I'll be going for it. Can anyone decipher this or clarify?

johndeere19 Jul 7, 2010 6:22 pm

Can anybody figure out what happens after the promotion...i.e. you hit platinum with 0 EQMs before, if you get 25k EQMs in the remainder of the year, do you get bumped up to CP. Or, if you reach gold and hit enough EQMs after the promo ends to hit gold and get 8 of these, do you become CP? It definitely looks like they should compound, but it doesn't clarify it anywhere.

GoodOmens Jul 7, 2010 6:33 pm

Found DCA-CLT-PVR-PHX-DCA which would get 3 hops (East, west, central america) and 1 jump (CLT-PVR) for $507 same day return. Now just need to get it cheaper.....

flyzabit Jul 7, 2010 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by GoodOmens (Post 14260453)
You can only do a particular hop, skip or jump once. You can only do one Caribbean, one shuttle, one NA West, one NA East etc. ... .

HOWEVER, one flight segment may wear two hats. See the T&C FAQ page , http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/FAQs..._jump_faq.html, as quoted above,
"Can a single flight count for multiple hops, skips or jumps?
-- Yes, a number of flights can have multiple counts. For example, Charlotte to Puerto Vallarta counts for a North America, east hop and a Mexico/Central America hop and a Charlotte to Puerto Vallarta jump. Boston to New York La Guardia counts as both a North America, east hop and a Shuttle skip."

They also have a set of examples on that page.

bossku69 Jul 7, 2010 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by GoodOmens (Post 14261028)
Found DCA-CLT-PVR-PHX-DCA which would get 3 hops (East, west, central america) and 1 jump (CLT-PVR) for $507 same day return. Now just need to get it cheaper.....

if you normally dont fly a lot and want the deal, its pretty good. otherwise the $200 trials seem pretty decent if you can put on 7.5k/15k/22.5k in 90 days.

trying to plan a flight to Italy in fall, this just falls right outside of when I was going

Feliceesq Jul 7, 2010 7:14 pm

Ok, I truly don't get this. Currently a CP, next flight (booking BUF to LAS and back in the next few days) will bring me up to Platinum for next year(including 2 hops).....so if I get 2 more hops/skips/jumps does that mean I don't have to fly any more and I will be a Chairman's again? And if I have 75k miles, but only get the 2 hops and don't go to any other regions, I need to fly 25k more? Why would I not take a quick jaunt to LGA, shuttle up to BOS then fly to Plattsburgh and home (which gets me the 2 more skip and jumps), rather than fly an extra 25k miles? There just seems to have to be something wrong with my reasoning. Help!

mister880 Jul 7, 2010 7:15 pm

I can't figure out if I like this promo or not! On one hand I like the idea that it's a little tougher and stops everyone from getting status. But on the other hand it's a little more complicated then I would like.

If I am reading this right by making (4) of these conditions then I move up one status level. I'm currently CP and if I can get CP status again for all of 2011 by taking 4 trips I will find a way to get this done quick.

This really sounds way too good to be true. Does anybody know if I am reading this wrong or not understanding it correctly?

Kevin L
The CVG KID

itsme110 Jul 7, 2010 8:41 pm

I just phoned the Plat line, and they have no idea. it´s nightime and they said it is confusing and the experts will be in tomorrow morning........so i´ll call back. Next week I am flying PVR-PHX-CLT-YYZ-CLT-PVR.
C´mon experts.........what´s everyone´s guess as to how many points I get for that. I would guess 4. What does everyone else think??

PHX_SOUS Jul 7, 2010 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by itsme110 (Post 14261718)
I just phoned the Plat line, and they have no idea. it´s nightime and they said it is confusing and the experts will be in tomorrow morning........so i´ll call back. Next week I am flying PVR-PHX-CLT-YYZ-CLT-PVR.
C´mon experts.........what´s everyone´s guess as to how many points I get for that. I would guess 4. What does everyone else think??

You get 3 hops and a jump.

And if this is possibly correct you would be CP through Feb 2012 - no matter how many miles you have flown so far in 2010

CPRich Jul 7, 2010 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by itsme110 (Post 14261718)
Next week I am flying PVR-PHX-CLT-YYZ-CLT-PVR.

If you booked it before today, I'm guessing 0. If you booked it today, or haven't booked it yet, I agree on 4.

itsme110 Jul 7, 2010 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS (Post 14261745)
You get 3 hops and a jump.

And if this is possibly correct you would be CP through Feb 2012 - no matter how many miles you have flown so far in 2010

so does that mean that if i´m a c.p. now that qualified in 2009, with 0 miles this year.......if i get 4 points I will carry my c.p. through 2012

Beckles Jul 7, 2010 9:56 pm

One trip from MCI to PBG, with a Shuttle segment included (which several of the least expensive routing options include), will get me Gold Preferred through 2/29/12 ... I'll be all over that like stink on a monkey. Have to see if maybe I can work a CLT-BTR to be cheaper though with a Shuttle segment.

I think the FAQ's make it pretty clear how this promotion works, I really don't understand all the claims otherwise in this thread.

Originally Posted by mister880 (Post 14261234)
I'm currently CP and if I can get CP status again for all of 2011 by taking 4 trips I will find a way to get this done quick.

Originally Posted by itsme110 (Post 14261799)
so does that mean that if i´m a c.p. now that qualified in 2009, with 0 miles this year.......if i get 4 points I will carry my c.p. through 2012

This promotion does not apply to anyone who currently is CP as the rules are written and is explained in the FAQ.

DCAorBust Jul 7, 2010 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 14262041)
This promotion does not apply to anyone who currently is CP as the rules are written and is explained in the FAQ.

So your definition of "Pre-offer Preferred status" (which is the term used by the promo--not "current" status) is the status earned as of last year, which means that someone who earned CP for 2010, but hasn't flown since January 1 gets bupkis even if s/he hits all 16 counts under this promo?

Or would said 2010 CP get CP again because his/her "Pre-offer Preferred status" was actually non-status (by virtue of no 2010 flights), even though s/he is a "current" CP?

jbelinc Jul 7, 2010 10:57 pm

If I am reading this right a CLT-BTR-CLT flight will count 3 times, North America east hop, N.A. west hop & Charlotte to Baton Rouge jump. A CLT-MLB will count as the Charlotte to Melbourne jump and also get you Space Coast 1000 bonus miles promo.

sbeach Jul 7, 2010 11:10 pm

Way too cutesy!

Somebody got way too carried away with the rules on this one. I've seen more clear instructions from games my four-year old made up!