FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1103160-new-us-promo-hop-skip-jump-higher-level-preferred-status.html)

miffSC Jan 1, 2011 9:57 am

Originally Posted by offshoretjd (Post 15559855)
So I just saw this thread, and thus just found out about the promo. I know its over, but I went thru the rules anyway and it seems that you could have participated without actually knowing about it.

I booked and flew about 10 flights in that time period, used my Div miles numbers........is it worth calling US and trying to get some back credit or will they tell me to go pound sand?

Welsome to FlyerTalk offshore tjd! This was a very unique promotion on the part of US Airways, and one that we don't think will be repeated, but with US one never knows!

In this promotion, it was required that one fly to certain destinations in order for it to be a qualifying Hop, Skip, or Jump. US did an excellent job of tracking passenger flights and sent out emails to those of us who were participating for the promotion with the details of our progress. So, if you had flown any of the required routes in order to qualify, US would have kept tabs on your flights and awarded you the appropriate credit for your flights. If you have not read the page about it, the link in the first post will still take you to the promotion page.

bthobe Jan 15, 2011 9:18 am

Any word on the grapevine if US will throw us another bone with regards to running this promo again? I am looking forward to another mileage run to some place I have never been before. :cool:

grinch26 Jun 5, 2011 10:23 am

July?

Last year flights between July 7 and September 10 were eligible for Hop, Skip, Jump.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...skip_jump.html

Hopefully another Hop, Skip, Jump is right around the corner.

rxralph Jun 5, 2011 3:05 pm

I realize we are discussing last years' rules

The rule states "Chairman > Chairman Preferred" what is the difference between Chairman and Chairman Preferred?

Having achieved Chairman (BIS) through 2-2012 I have not paid close attention to this thread. Assuming similar rules apply in the next HSJ what HSJ activity must I do to remain Chairman through 2-2013?

ralph

miffSC Jun 5, 2011 9:54 pm

We should only hope that this one is repeated in some way! Any new routes for US? Dublin from Charlotte is one .... any others? I absolutely loved this promo! Fingers crossed!

mrredskin Jun 6, 2011 10:34 am

this promo got me to gold and my allegiance to *A... until a couple weeks ago when DL offered the Gold bump after the AMEX transfer for silver status.

now i'm about even between the two!

another one of these and US wins again :)

those F seats in the regionals need to hurry on up

pgray007 Jun 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Any new news on this promo returning for 2011? It saved my Chairman last year, so I'm hoping it makes a return appearance!

CPRich Jun 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by rxralph (Post 16508413)
The rule states "Chairman > Chairman Preferred" what is the difference between Chairman and Chairman Preferred?

None.

I'm hoping for a repeat. It moved me from PLT to CP this year even though I only have 50 segments or so. At my current rate I may drop down to my lifetime SLV unless this is repeated. I may even spend my own money (well, maybe...)

stefg1007 Jul 6, 2011 11:52 am

Sigh... Tomorrow will be the year mark for when this promo frist came out. Still hoping to see it again. In my opinion, definitely one of the best promos theyve had!

jfinsocal Jul 6, 2011 1:03 pm

This was possibly the stupidest promotion ever. If the Dividend Miles promotion department reads this message board - do not repeat HSJ. You get a few people that game the system to the detriment of others that spend real money on you airline.

One of the benefits of flying US instead of UACO and DL is the relatively low number of elites - with higher upgrade percentages etc. It makes little sense to dilute this benefit to sell a few seats CLT-BTR.

mooper Jul 6, 2011 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jfinsocal (Post 16681522)
You get a few people that game the system to the detriment of others that spend real money on you airline.

How so? Someone who obtains the status cheaply takes away *nothing* from the airline nor other customers if they don't continue to fly. If they do continue to fly, they contribute revenues that boost profits, and therefore the ability for the airline to provide more routes, better service and perks, etc. It's actually a perfect system.

Case in point: I utilized this promo last yer to boost my status *purely* to help me reduce the cost of redeeming a few awards I was considering using in the coming year. It saved me a few hundred dollars in fees, which was greater than the cost of the three flights I took to qualify (only two were beyond what I would have taken anyway). US got some extra revenue from me up front, and though they lost out on the fees, I wouldn't have redeemed and paid them anyway if I hadn't gotten the status. A win for me, a win for US, and a win for other customers from whom I took nothing.

ffI Jul 6, 2011 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by jfinsocal (Post 16681522)
It makes little sense to dilute this benefit to sell a few seats CLT-BTR.

I would have never seen BTR and the small pizza joint there without this promo or met an FTer on a similar MR en route. Anyway, I did not take anything away from US or most people this year, so perhaps my status was wasted, but it felt good to know, just in case that I would be OK. My DL - CO match kept me on UA/CO most of the year.

I should have then done the CO-AF-LH Sen status match route. That would have given me free *A lounge for next 18 months instead of buying it. Here's to the next h/s/j!

Seeing this thread quickened my pulse, until I saw the date the thread was started.

miffSC Jul 6, 2011 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by mooper (Post 16681648)
How so? Someone who obtains the status cheaply takes away *nothing* from the airline nor other customers if they don't continue to fly. If they do continue to fly, they contribute revenues that boost profits, and therefore the ability for the airline to provide more routes, better service and perks, etc. It's actually a perfect system.

Case in point: I utilized this promo last yer to boost my status *purely* to help me reduce the cost of redeeming a few awards I was considering using in the coming year. It saved me a few hundred dollars in fees, which was greater than the cost of the three flights I took to qualify (only two were beyond what I would have taken anyway). US got some extra revenue from me up front, and though they lost out on the fees, I wouldn't have redeemed and paid them anyway if I hadn't gotten the status. A win for me, a win for US, and a win for other customers from whom I took nothing.

I like the way you explained this. I paid for the tickets to earn my way to Chairmans.. and I continue to fly US .... and I will work towards maintaining this status.

As you said, it's a win for the airline... a win for me too.

FlyingPLD Jul 7, 2011 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 16682381)
Seeing this thread quickened my pulse, until I saw the date the thread was started.

+1

I'd love to see it this year as I missed out on it last year, but given the high loads and airline quarterlies offering Profits, I'm not holding my breath.

tommyleo Jul 7, 2011 10:00 am

Originally Posted by FlyingPLD (Post 16685730)
+1

I'd love to see it this year as I missed out on it last year, but given the high loads and airline quarterlies offering Profits, I'm not holding my breath.

Me neither, unfortunately. :(