Community
Wiki Posts
Search

movies on flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by PhotoGeek
Really, how can JetBlue, a "budget" carrier, offer free satellite TV at every seat and US offers "the sound of silence."
B6 is making money, and US isn't.

Then again, maybe there is a correlation to B6's IFE and the fact that it's making money.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
I just don't believe that IFE is that big of a deal to people. Really? Y'all don't have a book or iPod or something to keep you occupied?

Not having IFE makes no difference to me. In fact, I never watched it when it was available. I found it terribly annoying that the movies shown were edited (for my protection??). The most absurd thing was an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" in which Ray says, "Oh my god," but it was dubbed over to have him say, "Oh my isis." ISIS? Really? Just wow.

Bring your own stuff or take a few hours to relax without stimulation. ^
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:13 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
While I highly doubt an airline's bottom line will depend on any IFE offered (SW has done without), what irritates me is that the reason for taking the IFE off the airplane made no sense. Too many a/c still have the systems on and NONE and I mean NONE of the boxes under the seats was EVER removed. So where was the savings?

This brings about the way this company acts before they think. Did they REALLY think fuel was going to top $150 a barrel on a regular.

Now as far as the IFE, again, we lag behind with everything we do. Wanna be to an advantage to most of your competitors? Put in wifi and REAL power plugs ASAP. Stop the next year...maybe one...we aren't sure..there's a delay...we aren't sure BS. Just freakin do it.

I am amazed that when this company wants to rip something OFF the plane, hell nor high water keeps them from doing it. But when they would like to ADD something, it is every excuse known to man kind.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by flight62
So where was the savings?
The biggest chunk of savings was always the cost of the movies themselves, despite what US said.

The rest I agree with. Take wi-fi - DL had 50 wi-fi equiped airplanes flying in March 2009. Now, less than a year later, they have about 350 and will add about 200 more this year. US announced the addition of wi-fi to 50-some airplanes what - 6 months ago - and as far as I know doesn't have the first one flying yet.

Jim
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by aztimm
Bring your iPod, iPhone, book, magazines, etc. I always do and never have a problem.
One potential problem is the batteries in your laptop or etc. running out. If you are on HP metal, there are no outlets in FC...the folks in Tempe never thought that their passengers could afford a laptop only a Circle K gift cards. Are the outlets on the old US metal still working (being based in PHX, there are not that many flights with the old US metal such as an A321)?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
Are the outlets on the old US metal still working
Supposedly the power outlets were disabled when the IFE was removed but there was one recent post that said the poster got shocked by a power port that was hanging out of the armrest.

Jim
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by honeytoes
I just don't believe that IFE is that big of a deal to people. Really? Y'all don't have a book or iPod or something to keep you occupied?

Not having IFE makes no difference to me. In fact, I never watched it when it was available. I found it terribly annoying that the movies shown were edited (for my protection??). The most absurd thing was an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" in which Ray says, "Oh my god," but it was dubbed over to have him say, "Oh my isis." ISIS? Really? Just wow.

There is a difference between "edited" and "badly edited." If the editing is done well, you don't know what you're missing.

I am with you in that I would much prefer to catch up on my reading and work on my laptop (for as long as the battery lasts) than any other inflight activity. But I will admit that when I fly on CO's 752's which have AVOD, I usually watch at least one of the movies they offer, just out of convenience of being able to stop and start the film at my leisure.

When walking through the cabin, I notice that about 2/3's of the passengers are partaking of the IFE (which includes music, games and the moving map) in some form or another. There is no arguing that while people may not choose an IFE-equipped aircraft if another flight without IFE is cheaper, those same customers are apt to recall their good experience on the IFE-equipped airline the next time the price is comparable to US. Not having IFE is hurting US's brand, if not their bottom line.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by honeytoes

To be honest, yes. I avoid US whenever possible. I love Delta's individual tv's on transcons.

The sad part is they had the equipment, they either took it out or disabled it around the end of 2008.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: AS, AA, WN
I have flown PHX-ATL/ATL-PHX on DL and half the times the tvs don't even work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.