Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US flights becoming consistantly cheaper on UAL.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by CPRich
I walked up to the counter and said "I'm on the 5:30 flight to PHL, connecting to PIT. Can I get on the 6:30 PIT direct flight?" The agent punched a few keys and handed me a new boarding pass.

There have been threads on this topic before, where several posters stated that it couldn't be done. I'm not sure how to reply other than "I've done it. Multiple times"
YMMV, and depends on the agent you get. I've done it from PHX in the past to switch from a non-stop to a LAS connection for the extra miles, and I've also been denied the reverse too.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
Not at all true as other have said. I've had 8 US segments booked on UA paper on a recent Mileage Run and all were upgraded at or near my CP window. I booked with United because it was a third of the price for the same routing - even though it was on US Metal. I was doing a BWI>SEA and back with 3 connections in each direction. No problem at all.

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
You'll only be upgraded day-of-departure. Which makes it no-so-likely. I was told this by a CP personal liaison...

And I've also had numerous problems with canceled bookings on UA/US codeshare without good reasons.

HTSC
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
What you say appears to be correct. I haven't experienced it myself yet (only UA ticket is Sat. next week, gonna find out this Sat.).

I was surprised that the CP Personal Liaison said that they would upgrade only on day-of-departure though. I'll be sure to confirm this if/when I get the email this saturday.

HTSC
Originally Posted by DCAMatt
Not at all true as other have said. I've had 8 US segments booked on UA paper on a recent Mileage Run and all were upgraded at or near my CP window. I booked with United because it was a third of the price for the same routing - even though it was on US Metal. I was doing a BWI>SEA and back with 3 connections in each direction. No problem at all.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
YMMV, and depends on the agent you get.
Certainly could be. I'm 4-for-4 over the last two months, but it sounds like you've been denied in the same circumstances.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: US CP | MR PL | HH Diamond | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPRich
I walked up to the counter and said "I'm on the 5:30 flight to PHL, connecting to PIT. Can I get on the 6:30 PIT direct flight?" The agent punched a few keys and handed me a new boarding pass.

There have been threads on this topic before, where several posters stated that it couldn't be done. I'm not sure how to reply other than "I've done it. Multiple times"
I'd like to assume, but thought I'd check first... you are referring to trading a US for US or a UA for UA ticket right? What are the chances (because of codeshares) you could trade a UA with connections for a NS US ticket. I'm thinking zero.

Also if given the choice (price being relatively equal) which would you prefer: Connecting on CO through EWR or through IAD on UA? I think all flights are RJs.

I ask because the direct US ticket was $1k, whereas those with connections were only $300. This thread and the criticism I have encountered have opened my eyes to the alternatives to booking only on US.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: None
Generally IAD experiences fewer delays than EWR, although "generally" doesn't really matter when you're traveling on a specific day - either airport could be the worse of the two that day.

Everyone knows that a true Flyertalker would take a connection over a non-stop for the extra miles any day (just kidding). For $700 difference, I guess it's a personal judgment - if it worth that much to get to your destination with less travel time and less chance of a misconnect?

Jim
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MattNeedsMiles
I'd like to assume, but thought I'd check first... you are referring to trading a US for US or a UA for UA ticket right? What are the chances (because of codeshares) you could trade a UA with connections for a NS US ticket. I'm thinking zero.
Technically I don't think I'm switching "tickets", just flights. But...

This is a United Airline ticket, purchased as a codeshare on two USAirways flights, switching to a USAirways direct flight that has no codeshare alternative sold by United Airlines.

Your scenario, since it describes CO through EWR and UA through IAD, doesn't appear to include codeshares. If you're asking about a UA ticket, on a UA-owned/flown/liveried connection, and trying to get on a US-owned/flown/liveried non-codeshared direct flight, then no, then I suspect there's no chance.

EWR vs IAD - toss up to me - which has a better schedule and what type of "RJ" - that's what I would look at

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 30, 2010 at 9:36 am
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: US CP | MR PL | HH Diamond | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy

Everyone knows that a true Flyertalker would take a connection over a non-stop for the extra miles any day (just kidding).

Jim
I have to say Jim, it's the only way I got to CP. Without the connections I can't get the status as I am 99.99% east coast and don't get the miles. It's all segments for me. 14 so far this year. A friend of mine is a pilot on reserve at US and I've flown more than he has this year...
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:10 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I booked a US flight today on UA codeshare bc for some reason the US website (which I hate) wouldn't allow me to complete the transaction. My UA itenary only lists a UA confirmation (no US confirm or e ticket). How do I find this info? I want to pick seats online and input my CO number (no option for CO on the UA website). I even tried the flight number, date and name option in the US flight.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you try putting in the confirmation number? My corporate travel system gives me a "United Confirmation Number" but I use it to check-in on usairways.com (since it won't take my DM number....)
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I always get two different confirmation numbers, one for United and one for US. If you can't look up the record by date of flight and flight number, you might need to call up and get them to look you up and give you the US confirmation number.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:24 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Alright, I never got a US confirmation number.. but after a couple hours my UA confirmation number worked. Now I can see my US confirmation number on usairways.com. My UA e-ticket number, however, does not work

FDW
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: US Silver Preferred, Delta
This is so true. On 3/31 CLT-SEA. UA 141 CO 141 US 303. That is crazy for the same us flights. UA has like 6 options for 150 cheaper than US.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:40 am

Another reason to book the UA codeshare - you can switch to a UA flight if desired.

This is good for when flying a route like ORD/IAD-CLT/PHL. If you book the US ticket on US metal for ORD-CLT, but are able to get the airport earlier and want an earlier flight, you can only get on an earlier US flight since US doesn't want to give away the revenue. But if you book the UA codeshare on US metal, then you can standby on either a US or UA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.