FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Up to a 250% Holiday Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1020131-up-250-holiday-bonus.html)

dp555 Dec 7, 2009 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Evan! (Post 12945032)
You had me up until the NetFlix example. How do you get miles from Netflix without spending money? Don't you have to "sign up for Netflix"?

From https://usairways.netflix.com/
Earn 1,500 bonus miles when you become a paying Netflix member.

No free miles there.

NetFlix can still count as one of the four initial purchases that qualify for the 250% bonus, right?

tkroll Dec 7, 2009 10:42 pm

I'm also on board in thinking the bonus is on the miles.

You get 40 mile for every $1 spent in TIB, right from the start. Isn't that more attractively advertised as a 4000% bonus? Just doesn't make sense to push 250% after the 5th purchase when you have bigger bonuses to begin with.

Ty

Flying Buccaneer Dec 7, 2009 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Evan! (Post 12945032)
You had me up until the NetFlix example. How do you get miles from Netflix without spending money? Don't you have to "sign up for Netflix"?

From https://usairways.netflix.com/
Earn 1,500 bonus miles when you become a paying Netflix member.

No free miles there.

So, if it's not on miles, is the bonus on the membership fee the first month? Or membership fees paid before the day all transactions have to post? I'm pretty certain that NetFlix will communicate to US who becomes a paying member, not how much they paid.

rodrigo Dec 8, 2009 12:17 am

Originally Posted by doubled79 (Post 12944303)
What is the return policy on TIB?

30 days from date of purchase - get refunded except for shipping charges.

rodrigo Dec 8, 2009 12:20 am

Don't know if this was discussed before, but this sentence in the terms bothers me:

"Transactions must have a posting date between November 23, 2009 and December 30, 2009 to qualify for the offer."

Do you think they mean 'activity' date instead of posting date? It seems so, because they also say:

"The last date activity from a participating partner can be received by US Airways for bonus miles consideration is February 28, 2010, regardless of the eligible activity date."

Any clarifications from anyone who has talked with them?

Thanks!

thegrailer Dec 8, 2009 12:37 am

Is there any further clarification on
1. Bose - ~$3 cord extension
2. Gaiam - $2 tree donation

Do these count or not?

Cheers

Thanks

libuser Dec 8, 2009 7:23 am

for another 10,500 miles make sure to do the sentry insurance quote. Initial is 3k, with the bonus it adds up to 10k. Pretty good deal. Combined with the stocks this yields around 20k for almost to nothing. : )

ExitRowAisle Dec 8, 2009 7:46 am

Originally Posted by libuser (Post 12947151)
for another 10,500 miles make sure to do the sentry insurance quote. Initial is 3k, with the bonus it adds up to 10k. Pretty good deal. Combined with the stocks this yields around 20k for almost to nothing. : )

The link I use shows Sentry offering 1,500 miles for a quote -- not 3,000 miles. So the total would be 5,250 miles if you are at the 250% level of this promotion. That, of course, assumes that you don't buy into the latest "theories" on how this promotion will be applied. If you do, your bonus will be 0 since dollars spent at Sentry don't yield any miles.

libuser Dec 8, 2009 7:54 am

actually:
To enter, click the link above or call 1-800-373-6879, mention promotion code 10-40-270-1.

* Save up to 10% in addition to Sentry's other money-saving discounts, eligible Dividend Miles members save up to 10% on auto and homeowners insurance
* Get quality insurance protection with Sentry's easy-to-understand policies provide insurance protection that's customized for your family
* And, get 1,500 miles just for receiving a no-obligation quote on your auto or homeowners insurance
* Enter online, call 800-373-6879 and use promotion code 10-40-270-1

This offer is available in: AZ, CO, IL, IN, KS, MN, MO, OH, TN and WI.

so it does yield 1.5k on just to quote, and niec 5k just for a short phone call. : )

andyandy Dec 8, 2009 9:23 am

Originally Posted by christy (Post 12938923)
I see that somebody has confirmed that multiple Sharebuilder accounts will each qualify for a bonus. Is the consensus that we can open 5 unique Sharebuilder accounts for 15,000 base miles (before bonus), if we already have five unique partner activities. This would be a great holiday present for nieces and nephews if it would work.

This is the relevant portion of the reply that I received from Sharebuilder:

"Thanks for your reply with the promotion code. I was able to review the specifics of that promotion.

As far as ShareBuilder is concerned you can certainly open a new account and enter that promotion. Also, based on the information I have gathered a new custodial account or two would be eligible to receive the bonus miles. Please do review the terms and conditions for more information."

Based on that response, I opened a new IRA, and two custodial accounts. Upon opening each account I received a "congratulations" message that included confirmation that "Your promotion has been accepted. You will receive 3000 bonus miles 4-6 weeks after your first trade." The only risk I see is the possibility that the posting date would not reflect transaction date. I consider that an acceptable risk, though.

pointsjunkie53 Dec 8, 2009 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer (Post 12944811)
Clearly 250% of the miles.

Why am I so sure?

If it were on $ spent, there would be no bonus from some of the participating merchants, such as 21st Century Auto Insurance, which does not require you to purchase anything to get the 200 miles. Sharebuilder and NetFlix are a couple of other examples.

i am as confused as anyone, but it does say "You'll get extra Dividend MILes and additional bonuses, up to 250% for every dollar you spend,"

to me that means the dollars you spend at each store. don't know what they are going to do with the stores that give miles for signing up.

after you get to the 5 stores and you keep on shopping up to the 10 stores are all those purchases at the 250% level also?

every agent i speak with has a different take on this promotion. i have never gotten the same answer. they have as many questions about this promotion as we do.

pointsjunkie53 Dec 8, 2009 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer (Post 12920893)
I don't fly US, but I have a little over 50,000 US miles. This offer will allow me to increase my balance to the point that I can make better use of those miles. With that in mind, I completed 6 transactions yesterday:

1. Brita water filter from Sears: $42.78 (store pickup)
2. Clothing item from Macy's: $24.82 (incl. $5.95 shipping)
3. Accessory from Apple Store through DM Mall: $20.33 (free shipping)
4. Gift from Harry & David: $24.95 (free shipping)
5. $10 Barnes & Noble Gift Card: $10.95 (incl. $0.95 shipping)
6. Insurance quote from 21st Century: $0.00 (no savings vs. State Farm)

The first three were items I needed anyway, so the only additional cost was the $5.95 shipping charge from Macy's. The Harry & David purchase took care of one gift, and I will use the B&N Gift Card or give it as a small gift. The insurance quote took some time. Even though I spent $123.83, these were purchases I would have made anyway, for the most part. Plus, the 520 miles from these purchases will earn another 1300 in bonuses. More important, they will set up huge bonuses from my next two transactions:

7. 2 Gift baskets from FTD: approx. $150 including shipping
8. TrackItBack Small Business Pack: approx. $300

These purchases will yield 9450 (2700 + 6750 bonus) and 42,000 (12,000 + 30,000 bonus) miles, respectively. Overall, about 53,270 miles for about $574, or about $0.0108/mile. Not bad, especially considering that a good part of it will be spent on things I needed anyway, and I think that Mr. FB and I will be able to put the TrackItBack labels to good use. If all goes according to plan ("if" being the key word), my account's balance will be over 100,000 miles on March 1, 2010.

from my understanding of the promotion, the 250% is based on the dollar amount you spend not on the original bonus miles each vendor is offering.
so according to your calculations. the top 6 will get you 123.83x2.5=310 miles. 150 +300= 450 x 2.5=1125 miles. of course add on the original vendor bonuses. but the number unfortunately does not even come close to the amount you calculated.

I hope i am wrong. no one knows which way they are actually going to calculate these miles including USair themselves.

Beckles Dec 8, 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by pointsjunkie53 (Post 12948175)
from my understanding of the promotion, the 250% is based on the dollar amount you spend not on the original bonus miles each vendor is offering.
so according to your calculations. the top 6 will get you 123.83x2.5=310 miles. 150 +300= 450 x 2.5=1125 miles. of course add on the original vendor bonuses. but the number unfortunately does not even come close to the amount you calculated.

I hope i am wrong. no one knows which way they are actually going to calculate these miles including USair themselves.

I don't think anyone but you believes that a "250% bonus" somehow equates to 2.5 miles per dollar of the purchase as you are showing in those calculations. You seem to be relying on your interpretation of a single sentence of the promotions page ("You'll get extra Dividend Miles and additional bonuses, up to 250% for every dollar you spend.") to reach this conclusion rather than the plain meaning of the terms and conditions.

rrgg Dec 8, 2009 10:54 am

Originally Posted by pointsjunkie53 (Post 12948175)

I thought the DM Shopping Mile reports miles, and then if US is offering some additional bonus they add it to your account. If that's the case, US is never told the dollar amount in the first place.:confused:

doubled79 Dec 8, 2009 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 12948269)
I don't think anyone but you believes that a "250% bonus" somehow equates to 2.5 miles per dollar of the purchase as you are showing in those calculations. You seem to be relying on your interpretation of a single sentence of the promotions page ("You'll get extra Dividend Miles and additional bonuses, up to 250% for every dollar you spend.") to reach this conclusion rather than the plain meaning of the terms and conditions.

Beckles, you should avoid absolutes; they seldom work. I've previously posted that 250% for every dollar you spend likely means 250% of the dollar value of your purchase, in addition to the miles earned. So, it's not the earlier posters interpretation of a single sentence. NOWHERE in the promotion does it mention a bonus on the MILES earned; it only mentions "every dollar you spend."

Please be considerate of other views. I'm disappointed as well that this is not what it initially appeared, but go ahead and make a large TIB purchase with a 30 day return policy...