Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:53 pm

I booked a rewards flight that has segments on lufthansa, swiss and ANA. For swiss and ANA I was able to get their confirmation numbers but I don't having a booking code for lufthansa so I can't log in online to select seats. Is the only way through their phone support?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by jasonz9238
I booked a rewards flight that has segments on lufthansa, swiss and ANA. For swiss and ANA I was able to get their confirmation numbers but I don't having a booking code for lufthansa so I can't log in online to select seats. Is the only way through their phone support?
you can call US and get the LH record locator and then look it up on the Lufthansa website
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:44 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by tlott
you can call US and get the LH record locator and then look it up on the Lufthansa website
I would just try the LX PNR code in the LH site
I found once that the PNRs were the same for LH,QR,SK! and LX?
Please do this and confirm if I am correct. Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:07 pm

Just a note in case this might help someone.

I have 2 accounts that were more than 12 days old and 1 account that was 5 days old. I couldn't wait 12 days to do the A,B,C sharing as there were only 2 business seats left within a 2 week timespan so I went ahead with the sharing.

There was no issues receiving or sharing the miles from the 5 day old account and I was able to get my reservation ticketed without any issues.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ffI
I would just try the LX PNR code in the LH site
I found once that the PNRs were the same for LH,QR,SK! and LX?
Please do this and confirm if I am correct. Thanks
LH uses Amadeus locators, LX does not.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by jasonz9238

There was no issues receiving or sharing the miles from the 5 day old account and I was able to get my reservation ticketed without any issues.

oooh interesting... so your 5 day account recieved the bonus miles when recieving the shared miles?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:18 am

Booking Help: JFK/EWR to LIM

HI All FT, I am new to using US airways and have done research on ANA star alliance flight tool for award booking.

I was able to configure the following using Star Alliance Partners

4-3-12
EWR to LIM

4-10-12
LIM to EWR
68k miles in business

A couple of questions for more experienced Star Alliance souls:

1. If I book using the US airways card, I will shave off another 5k miles?
2. How can I check availability for how many rewards seats are left? I think of BA Avios who list the remaining amount of seats in the award classes.

Thank you!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Not sure how you're coming up with 68K in business. North America - South America awards are 100K in business.

For your questions : 1) No, the 5K discount is only when booked entirely on US - not available for partner awards.

2) No way to do so. The only way to get any information would be to change the number of passengers in your search and see at what point the availability goes away.

I assume you are traveling in 2013 and NOT 2012!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:21 pm

MSP-SCL; Need confirmation that I'm doing the right thing

I'm wondering if someone can confirm that I actually did anything right when looking for *A award travel using US Airways miles. The following:

1. I can use US Airways DM to book award travel on any segments/flights which are listed in the "Saver Award" column on united.com's award travel search results.

2. Even though (purely as an example) a search of SCL-MSP doesn't reveal any "Saver Award" Economy travel, if I'm able to piece together various segments, all of which have "Saver Award" Economy availability, then I should be able to call US Airways and book that flight, right? Say I'm looking for RT MSP-SCL. Fine on the MSP-SCL portion, but need to get back from SCL a week later. Though nothing showed up when just searching SCL-MSP, I was able to piece together: SCL-PTY, PTY-JFK, EWR-MSP. That's a valid, bookable one-way portion of the RT award, right?

Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by berkhawk

1. I can use US Airways DM to book award travel on any segments/flights which are listed in the "Saver Award" column on united.com's award travel search results.
except UA flights - UA gives more saver availability to its own members compared to its partners

Originally Posted by berkhawk
2. Even though (purely as an example) a search of SCL-MSP doesn't reveal any "Saver Award" Economy travel, if I'm able to piece together various segments, all of which have "Saver Award" Economy availability, then I should be able to call US Airways and book that flight, right? Say I'm looking for RT MSP-SCL. Fine on the MSP-SCL portion, but need to get back from SCL a week later. Though nothing showed up when just searching SCL-MSP, I was able to piece together: SCL-PTY, PTY-JFK, EWR-MSP. That's a valid, bookable one-way portion of the RT award, right?
Yes.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:25 pm

Excellent. Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:27 pm

Nh Success

Just wanted to post was able to secure NRT-JFK in first using us airways 2 seats as well, took some agent roulette, but somehow it worked out

manged to get get NH on the way over and Asiana on the way back and PS on United from JFK to LAX so not too shabby
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by jknc09
HI All FT, I am new to using US airways and have done research on ANA star alliance flight tool for award booking.

I was able to configure the following using Star Alliance Partners

4-3-12
EWR to LIM

4-10-12
LIM to EWR
68k miles in business

A couple of questions for more experienced Star Alliance souls:

1. If I book using the US airways card, I will shave off another 5k miles?
2. How can I check availability for how many rewards seats are left? I think of BA Avios who list the remaining amount of seats in the award classes.

Thank you!
1. The number of miles that the ANA tool says is completely irrelevant as that's only for when you're booking with ANA miles. Just ignore it completely and refer to the US award chart instead.
2. I don't think you can, trial and error with number of passengers is the best way to go...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Excited!

Only a couple of weeks away from an itinerary booked when things were still really good with USDM:

Long hauls (7 hrs plus):

3 LX F
2 SQ F
1 TG F
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: US (DMS), UA (no status), SPG (Lifetime Platinum)
Involntary Downgrade

Curious if anyone has had this happen and how they resolved it (if at all).
Back in July, I booked a *A trip for wife and self for May-June 2013 using 125,000 USDM each, PHX-CDG and return, on US (first class) for the domestic portions, and UA GlobalFirst for the T/A portions. The GlobalFirst confirmations were for B767-300 3-cabin aircraft with the nice suites in f/c. I recently discovered that UA has substituted a B767-300 for the return (CDG-IAD) with two cabins, and we've been involuntarily downgraded to BusinessFirst. I feel that this is wrong and an anticipatory breach of contract. Several calls to UA, speaking with a CSA and a CSA supervisor, have been fruitless. They say they can't change us to a different routing where we could be accommodated in GlobalFirst unless there are award seats available. My position is that once they accepted our miles back in July and confirmed our travel, the quid pro quo had changed hands and the issue is no longer whether there are award seats, but only whether there are GlobalFirst seats available on a reasonable alternate routing (such as, for example, CDG-ORD). BTW, I also spoke with US about this and they, as expected, said it's UA's issue and there is nothing they (US) can do.
Would appreciate any comments and suggestions on how we might convince UA to get us back into GlobalFirst. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.