Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Try SYD-PVG-ICN-SFO...it's comfortably under 25M & OZ214 is going (or already is) a Quadra Smartium equipped 777. Availability is really good.

You'd probably have to overnight at PVG - no visa required.
Your chances would be better if you make somewhere on the east coast (JFK, MIA, or whatever) the destination and use SFO as a stopover as you will get more miles to play with. I got a fairly convoluted route ex BNE ticketed a month ago but that might have been just a lucky call (inexperienced agent?) and it took 3 hours just to find flights. BNE-BKK-ICN-YVR-IAH-BZE /- HNL-ICN-BKK-BNE.

BNE only has 3 *A carriers we can use, TG, SQ and NZ and from those only TG is generous with awards. Once EVA Air comes on board, we will have another carrier so that might make awards between USA and Australia a bit easier.

For Aussies, it's probably best to use USDM between Australia and Asia or Europe for now. UA still has some of those routings via Asia.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:52 am

SQ is pretty generous in terms of regional business class...
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Would an AKL-NRT-ORD be allowed?

Also, from DFW, which are the options to NBO?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by killuminati
How is this only 90k miles?

Isn't it charged at the rate of the most expensive transited region? Which in this case would be NA-Europe at 100k?
Never heard of this rule - UA/AC certainly dont charge like that, did US ever do it?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Would an AKL-NRT-ORD be allowed?
Yes.
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Also, from DFW, which are the options to NBO?
Keep it under 13,412 miles.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, HH Gold, SPG LT Gold
change fees on award tkt

how much does USAirways charge for a biz award tkt to just change routes (no change on the travel date, departure, and destination, no stopover)? no status on USAirways. Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:06 pm

US Airways costs

Was just pondering one of life’s great mysteries, which one you ask? Well that would be the US Airways miles gravy train.
Having read the board the last few weeks about MPM and seeing what my already ticketed awards would look like in this new world (luckily going east Coast USA so no worries there)

I wonder what does US have to reimburse star alliance carriers. I know a fair while back there was some discussion but not sure if there was ever an answer? Seems to be a well held secret.

My thoughts are that it could be either of these
1. That award flights are cut up into zones either based on distance? So i.e. 1000miles to 2000 miles costs say $200 and then a multiple for business and first?
2. Or that an award flight in a particular region e.g. Asia no matter the distance only costs US Airways say $200 and then the multiple. And then the flights between regions are charged at a set amount no matter the region?

See to me I don't think it would be overly complex. I don't believe it would be based on distance flown, so if you use 12000 miles to get from SYD-JFK and 3000 goes to Thai, 5000 to Asiana etc and they charge a cost per mile flown, just seems too hard to reimburse to be honest? But I know I am just hypothesizing so if someone else knows for sure please share!!

I think overall the US Airways model on selling miles etc is becoming more sophisticated in that I think the original theory was everybody would redeem on US or us within North America etc and that a flight cost x amount for us to get from star alliance inventory and it was a nice simple model.

However I think after further analysis down the track the realization has come that some awards actually cost them money take for example the wonderful world of Russia being in Asia (now in Europe before you get excited) and you could transit (stopover even) in Frankfurt and enjoy the FCT etc, and they were only charging 60K miles was it? Anyway something like that or about $1300USD at the 100% bonus buy rate including taxes.
So say your routing was HKG-BKK-FRA-DME and back so a nice simple 6 flight itn that no agent would have even thought about as Moscow is in Japan right?

So price this up using my theory in first class say costs 1.5 times economy class rate per segement. I get the following I have assumed between zones is $400 dollars but just guessing.
HKG-BKK $300 (200*1.5)
BKK-FRA $600 (400*1.5)
FRA-DME $300 (200*1.5)

So you can see that for a return it is costing $2400 for US Airways to reimburse star alliance carriers for this. Even if you half my cost used it’s still very marginal and pretty unbelievable if US are only charged $300 for FC from BKK to FRA. So to me the MPM problems people have been facing are essentially driven by US Airways wanting to make a dollar hence I would assume it is really US Airways who blocks LH as LH obviously want more than the standard rate for first class etc and US Airways are not willing to pay as it affects their dividend miles selling model.

So if Thai Airways and Asiana ever catch up you may as well change the name to skypesos!

If we take the current issue for MPM seems to be South Pacific to West Coast USA. So the award chart says 110K points in business we think greatthat’s going to cost me about $2200 return in business class did I tell you!!

So if I use my cost as above $400 per flight between regions and then a multiple of 1.25 for business class so a return SYD-SFO costs US Airways $1000. So they make $1000 dollars of margin perfect everyone wins, except for the other star alliance carriers and their frequent flyer members. So say United go I have had enough I will reduce the amount of inventory available to star and let my members have first go and then if there is anything left I will let star have a look.

However the US Airways Dividend miles buyers and burners go hmm I can't get to Disneyland the easy quick way now I will consult flyertalk and low and behold I can route my flight through Bangkok and Tokyo and get to see Mickey Mouse and get a massage on the way!

So using my theory on the cost per flight
SYD-BKK $500
BKK-NRT $250
NRT-LAX $500

So return US airways pays star alliance carriers $2500 for miles that cost $2068 and there we have it why MPM is being enforced in my opinion? What is everyone else’s theory?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by pm6163
how much does USAirways charge for a biz award tkt to just change routes (no change on the travel date, departure, and destination, no stopover)? no status on USAirways. Thanks.
US$ 150.- / ticket
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Never heard of this rule - UA/AC certainly dont charge like that, did US ever do it?
Technically yes, and some call center agents do enforce it. HUACA until you find one who quotes 90K.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by babs
So return US airways pays star alliance carriers $2500 for miles that cost $2068 and there we have it why MPM is being enforced in my opinion? What is everyone else’s theory?
I thought there was some sort of mileage clearance house... so for starters, before money changed hands, if USDM claimed 1 million miles for TG flights, that was off-set against 1 million worth of TG redemptions on USDM flights??

And I thought that was part of the problem for LH. No LH pax would want to use US airways to fly to the USA, hence a huge deficit US to LH if they were to allow F class rewards.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: QF SG
I've seen conflicting information so apologies if this is an often asked question. If taking a domestic UA flight as part of a business itinerary, are there circumstances that allow an F seat on either a 2 or 3 class service?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by bacook
F seat on either a 2 class service?
yes

F seat on either a 3 class service?
no
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I've seen conflicting information so apologies if this is an often asked question. If taking a domestic UA flight as part of a business itinerary, are there circumstances that allow an F seat on either a 2 or 3 class service?
you have not seen any conflicting information.

international business connects (in the USA) to domestic business on a three cabin aircraft and to First on a two cabin aircraft.

It is different for china. International business connects to domestic economy only (not First).
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL,US, UA, AA,HP
Two months ago I booked LAX - ICN - BKK - SYD (dest) - BKK (stopover) - ICN - LAX in OZ F and TG F / J.

Is this routing no longer permissible under USDM MPM rules?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WeHoVoyageur
Two months ago I booked LAX - ICN - BKK - SYD (dest) - BKK (stopover) - ICN - LAX in OZ F and TG F / J.

Is this routing no longer permissible under USDM MPM rules?
Unfortunately.

if you want ICN and BKK, you're best option is probably buying a rev ticket to ORD and flying ORD-ICN-BKK-SYD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.