Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Which flights to Male (MLE), Mauritious (MRU), Madagascar (TNR)

I had booked my dad and sister on a LH F visit to the US to see me, but the US Embassy in India denied them a visa (in a 2 minute interview).

Anyway, my dad would like to visit either Male (MLE) , Mauritious (MRU) or Madagascar (TNR) (He's got an island thing!)

Is there a way to use the Star Alliance to book?

1) 2 tickets from MCI to any of the above destinations and
2) 2 tickets from BOM to any of the above destinations?

I know this is a somewhat unusual question, but I'm quite sure that you all will have posted replies by the time I return from my morning run!
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
To Mauritius:
1) MCI-europe-JNB-MRU

2) BOM-JNB-MRU
or possibly via europe to JNB

To Male
1) MCI-US hub-SIN-MLE

2) Only possible way with *A would be BOM-SIN-MLE
But you can fly BLR-MLE with air india. Sri Lankan flys BOM-CMB-MLE. Also Maldivian flys from TRV-MLE.

To Madagascar:
SA airways flies from JNB daily I think.

Have you thought considered Zanzibar?

Swiss flies to Dar es Salaam daily and a ferry will then take you to Zanzibar
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: LH M&L, SPG, HH
Thumbs up MUC-SIN-MLE worked like a charm

Originally Posted by gleff
On a carrier like UA that likely wouldn't work, since it's so far over the maximum permitted mileage. But I bet US will book it.

And 77W business class seats are sometimes available, you stand a good shot.

Please report back!

I booked today through the German call center and it really worked like a charm. A very nice lady (with an equally nice Cologne-bred accent) did not question the routing at all (me neither of course ) and just entered the flights, I told her. She even offered me to hold the - pure SQ - itin for three days, but I preferred to get it ticketed immediately to be on the safe side.

The availability shown on ANA was accurate, this means I could indeed get the J seats indicated available on 77W.

All in all, a big ^ to US Air, they really made my day.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by pogonation
To Mauritius:
1) MCI-europe-JNB-MRU

2) BOM-JNB-MRU
or possibly via europe to JNB

To Male
1) MCI-US hub-SIN-MLE

2) Only possible way with *A would be BOM-SIN-MLE
But you can fly BLR-MLE with air india. Sri Lankan flys BOM-CMB-MLE. Also Maldivian flys from TRV-MLE.

To Madagascar:
SA airways flies from JNB daily I think.

Have you thought considered Zanzibar?

Swiss flies to Dar es Salaam daily and a ferry will then take you to Zanzibar
That's fantastic! Thanks for letting me know. I haven't considered Zanzibar, but I am doing research now!
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Can you get a stop over on this routing?

CLT-LHR-JNB-MRU

JNB-FRA-MUC-CLT

open jaw award, looking for a stopover in MUC on the way home.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Hey all again,

Thanks for the replies. It seems quite futile to try with my PER-North asia-DXB itinerary, so my partner and I have decided to go to North America instead =)

There have been a lot of posts saying that South pacific-Asia-USA has been okay, but has anyone tried to/from Perth?

We are looking at this:

PER-SIN-ICN-LAX DESTINATION ---> We would love to go PER-AKL-LAX, but availability is so scarce...
LAX-SFO-NRT STOPOVER --> Reason for this is we could only find availability on NH through SFO...
NRT-HKG 20 HOUR LAYOVER
HKG-SIN-PER

thoughts?

Also, would taxes increase a lot if we were to take these flights?.. There's around 6 or 7 flights...

Thanks so much again!
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BAEC Bronze, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Not to burst your bubble...

Originally Posted by peachy3
Hey all again,

Thanks for the replies. It seems quite futile to try with my PER-North asia-DXB itinerary, so my partner and I have decided to go to North America instead =)

There have been a lot of posts saying that South pacific-Asia-USA has been okay, but has anyone tried to/from Perth?

We are looking at this:

PER-SIN-ICN-LAX DESTINATION ---> We would love to go PER-AKL-LAX, but availability is so scarce...
LAX-SFO-NRT STOPOVER --> Reason for this is we could only find availability on NH through SFO...
NRT-HKG 20 HOUR LAYOVER
HKG-SIN-PER

thoughts?

Also, would taxes increase a lot if we were to take these flights?.. There's around 6 or 7 flights...

Thanks so much again!
Hi Peachy3,

I don't think your return routing would be possible as you have more than 4 segments. I was told when booking my flights to South Africa that you can only have 4 segments each way on an award ticket with US.

Ryan
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by RyanG
Hi Peachy3,

I don't think your return routing would be possible as you have more than 4 segments. I was told when booking my flights to South Africa that you can only have 4 segments each way on an award ticket with US.

Ryan
They get increasingly nervous the more segments you tell them, but 5 per direction can be booked.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by RyanG
Hi Peachy3,

Ryan
My last Star award with US in Dec. 2007 was PBI-CLT-JFK-BKK-SIN-DPS-SIN-NRT-IAD-CLT-PBI.

Since the JFK-BKK is gone, and SQ does not allow partner award travel on EWR-SIN, it will be hard to do cities like DPS from the US, and SIN and BKK unless you cross the Atlantic, or find a nonstop out of NRT, when originating from a non-hub city. When you have the further distance awards that require more miles, it would seem common sense that an additional segment will be required.

I would love to see PBI-BKK-DPS-PBI and do such a trip in three segments, but it will never happen.

Last edited by BF263533; Feb 22, 2010 at 12:33 am
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:40 am

I am currently in the final stages of booking another award seat looking at 199 pounds in taxes for

lhr-syd-mel-sin-muc-lhr now I assume this is because of the lovely 110 fee that the UK charges, would anyone recommend a short trip say as this

LHR-FRA-ICN-SYD MEL-SIN-MUC-LHR

Also does anyone know why I can never get a London city flight on Lufthansa from US Airways on ANA they are always available but whenever I ask US Airways always says no flights are these not bookable as star alliance awards?

Many thanks
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:23 am
Suspended

thoughts please

Whats a better bet?

CLT-IAD-LHR using United 777 First class

or

CLT-LGA, car transfer to JFK, then LH F class to FRA-LHR?

I dont mind the extra time, but is it worth the effort and risk of a missed connection to take LH?? Im thinking the FRA lounge and the onboard product vs UA might make it worth it and doable....connection time between LGA arrival and JFK departure is 3.5 hours....doable and advisable??

thoughts please?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:37 am

United

I would personally go for United just seems easier no car journeys and I would say their new seats if you get a plane with new seats in first would be better than those on Lufthansa which are a little older. Hope that helps
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:24 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration

or

I have a pretty low opinion of UA's service and food, but you'd have to really hate them to go to all that extra trouble.

A transfer between airports, an unnecessary connection (with the associated additional risk of misconnecting and/or losing bags) in FRA -- where you shouldn't be on the ground long enough for lounges to be relevant. Remember we're talking about a single six hour flight if you do it the easy way, as opposed to nearer 12 hours by adding JFK and FRA into the equation.

Go on, admit that you were just winding us up...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
Whats a better bet?

or

I've flown both UA (777) and LH (744) F recently. Agree with prior post re: UA's food, but their F service was gracious and competent enough. UA F seat is better, IMHO, especially if traveling solo and you get one by the windows in the 1-2-1 config. If you can snag seats on the IAD-LHR (763) day flight, you'll get UA's new F product which I haven't experienced but understand to be very good. I'd avoid the LGA-JFK schlep and the FRA-LHR rebound and go UA, even if you miss the FRA FCT experience!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:19 am
Suspended

I was under the impression UAL was not really good in F on the 777
hence why I was thinking of going out of my way to do the LH via FRA and JFK

I guess the FRA lounge isnt worth the extra travel now....PLUS ide have to ride coach to IAD from CLT....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.