Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ejh25
Looks like I'm boiling down to the itinerary below. I've got all F except for the MUC-NRT flight. There is one seat available in F thus far on that segment. US Air told me if I want to put one of us in F and the other in J, I need to split the reservation. They also told me again that I would have to reissue if I wanted to change from J to F if the seat became available.

Question: should I split the itinerary and hope that another seat in F becomes available and that US Air is willing to make the change for me w/out penalty?
It's easier to find one F seat than two right?

Itinerary:
IAD-MUC 2 seats in F
MUC-NRT 2 seats in J or 1 seat in F
NRT-MUC 2 seats in F
MUC-IAD 2 seats in F

BTW, I've checked the FRA routing outbound but I come across a similar problem. I've also tried a DCA-BOS-ZRH-NRT routing outbound which is good to go on EF but isn't working when I call.

Thoughts?
My res is on hold until today. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BAEC Bronze, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Unhappy

Originally Posted by LH/LX
Yes I do agree. I noticed in many occassions that everytime I request to book an award flight on LH or LX using DM miles the response from USairways agent: Sorry Sir the flight is sold out in First or business. Coach is only available.

However, when I check LH or LX directly through M&M I still can find seats in first class or business class easily?
I have been having the same problem using US miles on LX! It is really dissapointing!!!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Splitting Award Reservations

Let me ask my question slightly differently, is there any disadvantage of splitting my itinerary for my GF and I on the below itinerary so that we can make sure one of us gets in F on the MUC-NRT leg?

Availability:
IAD-MUC 2 F
MUC-NRT 1 F and 2 J
NRT-MUC 2 F
MUC-IAD 2 F
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: CO, US, AA
ANA tool vs CO.com, Open Jaw, and ANA strangeness

I'm trying to sort out a spring trip and hopefully get something on hold & ticket right after the big March 1st 250% bonus. I live in NYC but would like to start the trip in FPO and end it back in NYC. Here's what I've found available in Business (except the FPO-CLT-EWR) so far using the ANA tool:

3/29: FPO-CLT-EWR (overnight)-NRT-TPE (stopover- seems like people in this forum have plenty of success despite hub rules)
then at some point the following week, availability looks good: TPE-either ICN/NRT/BKK-HKG
4/7: HKG-ICN-JFK-and then whatever 2 (throwaway) segments (presumably EWR/LGA-FLL-FPO) needed to compete the ticket to FPO so I can have that HKG stopover rather than an open jaw. Although... who knows, I might want to just continue on to FPO and stay there forever !

1- The ATA tool is showing no availability for FLL-FPO on 4/8/10, but on CO.com it shows up as available in the Saver category. Any insight?

2- If I can't get the ticket NYC-FPO, will starting the trip in the Bahamas and ending in NYC be permissible as an open jaw even though they're in separate zones?

3- I'm also looking at going to Asia right from NY and skipping FPO since this FPO thing may not work & getting to Bahamas will be pricey. Is there any reason the ANA tool is acting kinda weird about a particular flight: Fri 3/26 OZ221 JFK-ICN? Depending on what segments I plug in afterwards, it either shows up as available in all classes, or in none.

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: US Silver Preferred, Delta
So now that I've started getting this figured out I'm hooked. I however am having a hard time finding one for this summer. I was hoping to go from MCO-Edinburgh or an aiport around there on after 6/19. I found LH on 6/21 or 6/22 I dont' remember. The problem I'm having is finding a way home. I need to go back to seattle. So my understanding is that I can leave from orlando and return to seattle but have to have the same destination right? I would like to get back to seattle around 6/30 to 7/1. If anyone can find something that would be great..

Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Hi all- tried doing a search, but couldn't immediately find my answer.
My brother has 38k USair miles. He wants to go PHL-LAS, so I found him connecting UA flights in coach on the outbound and UA F connecting to Y on the return. I would assume it would be 37,500 to book this trip (UA is all available at the saver level per Expertflyer).

The rep see the availability but is telling me that you can NOT mix classes on Star Alliance bookings. Is this true? Should I just hang up and call again?

I read the first post and assume a "no mixed classes" rule would be listed.

I'm currently on hold.. every time she tells me she can't do it- I tell her she can so she keeps trying....

EDIT: She says it is now possible, but at 50k miles (low level awards aren't available on Star Alliance bookings.... pushing back on this as well)

EDIT: She tells me to call United.. about to politely hang up

EDIT: Being transferred to Dividend Miles Service Center

Last edited by thepointsguy; Feb 27, 2010 at 3:10 pm
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ejh25
Let me ask my question slightly differently, is there any disadvantage of splitting my itinerary for my GF and I on the below itinerary so that we can make sure one of us gets in F on the MUC-NRT leg?

Availability:
IAD-MUC 2 F
MUC-NRT 1 F and 2 J
NRT-MUC 2 F
MUC-IAD 2 F
I'm not aware of any disadvantage to doing so - especially for the reason you are suggesting. Perhaps someone else could chime in if there's a distinct disadvantage?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitbrian
Hi all- tried doing a search, but couldn't immediately find my answer.
My brother has 38k USair miles. He wants to go PHL-LAS, so I found him connecting UA flights in coach on the outbound and UA F connecting to Y on the return. I would assume it would be 37,500 to book this trip (UA is all available at the saver level per Expertflyer).

The rep see the availability but is telling me that you can NOT mix classes on Star Alliance bookings. Is this true? Should I just hang up and call again?

I read the first post and assume a "no mixed classes" rule would be listed.

I'm currently on hold.. every time she tells me she can't do it- I tell her she can so she keeps trying....

EDIT: She says it is now possible, but at 50k miles (low level awards aren't available on Star Alliance bookings.... pushing back on this as well)

EDIT: She tells me to call United.. about to politely hang up

EDIT: Being transferred to Dividend Miles Service Center
I believe the agent is correct - you can only do mixed class itineraries using US as the carrier. If you wish to use UA or any other Star carrier, you'll be paying the Star redemption rates which would be 25k economy or 50k first - whether all segments are in one class or only one of them is.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uva185
I booked and flew DCA-ORD-LAX-NRT-SIN(Stop)-IST-JNB(Dest.)-FRA-ORD-DCA.

I don't think US knows what routing rules are.
I don't think the agents do, but the rate desk certainly does. They're now my arch-nemesis...

I had an agent book me PHX-SEA-FRA-MUC-BKK-SYD and SYD-BKK-HKG-ZRH-LAX-PHX and she didn't bat an eye, but after 30 minutes on hold with the rate desk she came back and told me politely to GTH.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by vysean
I believe the agent is correct - you can only do mixed class itineraries using US as the carrier. If you wish to use UA or any other Star carrier, you'll be paying the Star redemption rates which would be 25k economy or 50k first - whether all segments are in one class or only one of them is.
Thats annoying- you should definitely add that in your OP. On Continental.com I can price the same itinerary for 37,500. Oh well, after 38 minutes on hold, I hung up. Will probably just book on CO for my brother using my points and take ownership of his USAir (and buy me enough for my next F *A trip). Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:20 pm

I just had US change one of the sectors on my F award from Y to C. I had just booked the award yesterday and there was no C availability for some weird reason on one of the intra-Europe LH legs. It opened up again today so I called back and had the agent change the award to C. Told a little white lie about how I didn't know why it was booked in Y.

The agent was really nice but it took about 30 minutes. She went away and said that she'd have to re-ticket the whole thing or we run the risk of LH cancelling it because US made changes after ticketing. Thankfully, there was still availability on all the legs. But is this normal? Do they have to reticket to change the class on one segment?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:29 pm
Used to be 'lohiadk'

A follow up on my earlier post about openjaw or stopover in the same zone, in this instance south and central asia.

Was told that the open jaw can be done as pointed out by gleff if the flight you are not taking is shorter than the return flight.

But 3 diff agents said that a stopover will not be permitted. I was booking KTM-BKK-SIN-BKK (Stopover)-KTM was not allwoed the stopover in BKK, after the ganets checked with the supervisor. But was able to book
KTM-BKK-SIN and return BKK-KTM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:25 pm

Would appreciate if anyone can help. Planning a trip and here is the itinerary;
NYC-MUC-BKK(destination); BKK-DXB(stopover)-NYC. Does it sound OK to be a valid itinerary ? Would I be able to use EK using US DM ? Otherwise I see that MS (Egypt Air) is widely available from DXB to NYC via CAI.

Since the final destination is BKK, would this be a South Asia trip or a Middle East trip?

I am open to either Y or C availability.
thanks...
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Originally Posted by freakazoid
You can get C and F on SQ 747 longhaul, you need to call and ask US callcenter however as ANA doesn't show it (or most likely doesn't get the data from SQ). Availability for F various a lot depending the route though, especially 7 days before departure chances are high to get a F seat.
SQ, when they do release seats, seem to release 1 or 2 at about 3-6 days out from departure. Always good to check at that time on ANA.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by snshahmd
Would appreciate if anyone can help. Planning a trip and here is the itinerary;
NYC-MUC-BKK(destination); BKK-DXB(stopover)-NYC. Does it sound OK to be a valid itinerary ? Would I be able to use EK using US DM ? Otherwise I see that MS (Egypt Air) is widely available from DXB to NYC via CAI.

Since the final destination is BKK, would this be a South Asia trip or a Middle East trip?

I am open to either Y or C availability.
thanks...
Routing looks fine. You can't use EK and if your stopover is in a higher award region that should set the price.

Originally Posted by FruJu
SQ, when they do release seats, seem to release 1 or 2 at about 3-6 days out from departure. Always good to check at that time on ANA.
No, it's useless to check ANA. ANA doesn't show C or F for any 747 longhaul SQ flight, although they're available to book if you call US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.