Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: *A
Just wanted to also say thanks to everyone who helped contribute to this thread!

I just finished reservations yesterday for myself along with 2 other friends. All flying from Boise(Boi) to SFO-ICN-HKG...then out of BKK_LAX-BOI business class for 90k miles each..

Got REAL lucky on departing from BKK..I know its another 30k miles, but they origionally had me on a flight leaving HKG, going to BKK then LAX-BOI..I just asked if I could simply drop the HKG off the first leg and catch that flight in BKK. The lady tried that and the computer took it I guess!

All 3 of us are VERY excited. Its our first time every flying business class. We all 3 are next to each other on the upper deck of the flight! THANKS FLYERTALK I can't wait to recline 180% degrees! I am pushing 6ft 4" and the 31" space that they give you in coach is HELL for me! This should be much better
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:45 am

Confirmation code and seat assignment for award

Hi,

Got my confirmation code for booking a F award yesterday but i'm starting to worry a bit about one of the flights operated by UA ( SFO NRT)
. on US airways website info shows all flights in F, with seats already assigned ( 2A for SFO NRT in O class )
. But, when trying the same confirmation code on LX website ( manage reservations), is displayed only my outbound with 2 of the 3 flights being correctly displayed (LX flights) but UA flight in Y and not F (or O).

Should I be worried?

Thanks !
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:12 pm

Can I run this by some of you routing experts, I read the T&C and this seems to be OK for Asia>>N.America .

NRT-SIN-JFK -*dest* (SQ goes sin-fra-jfk)
JFK-FRA-BKK *stop*
BKK-NRT

Do you think this is valid itin? Many thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by vincentb89
. But, when trying the same confirmation code on LX website ( manage reservations), is displayed only my outbound with 2 of the 3 flights being correctly displayed (LX flights) but UA flight in Y and not F (or O).

Should I be worried?
No.

LX got in its Reservation System the UA Flights only informative. You should check the Reservation with UA to get your question answered. Alternatively, US also has all flights active in its PNR, as they made the reservation.

When you make a booking on US, each carrier gets only its own flights in the booking. If you make connection then the previous/next flight on a different carrier will be transferred informatively. If you i.ex. change the UA Flight from C- to F-cl, then this change will probably not be sent to LX...

Same happens with the seating requests. If you call the operational carrier directly to change a seat that US alread got confirmed, you won't see this change in the US booking online.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: ALL MAJOR FFP AND FSP
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
No.

LX got in its Reservation System the UA Flights only informative. You should check the Reservation with UA to get your question answered. Alternatively, US also has all flights active in its PNR, as they made the reservation.

When you make a booking on US, each carrier gets only its own flights in the booking. If you make connection then the previous/next flight on a different carrier will be transferred informatively. If you i.ex. change the UA Flight from C- to F-cl, then this change will probably not be sent to LX...

Same happens with the seating requests. If you call the operational carrier directly to change a seat that US alread got confirmed, you won't see this change in the US booking online.
Very inspiring post indeed! I was wondering why my LH record locator was only yielding 6 out of 8 segments and 'randomly' missing out the other 2. Now i know that it's not random, it's only because the other 2 were neither connecting to nor from a LH segment.

Now i have a question, when i try to retrieve my complete itinerary on US with the US confirmation code, i can't find the (confirmed) booking at all!!!

however, when i tried the confirmation codes i got from my previous dummy bookings (that are now both expired), they both showed up! This is very strange.

The only reason i can think of is that the agent who ticketed my confirmed itinerary might have forgot to type in my DM#, whereas on the other dummy reservations, they did note down the DM# (one of them even just noted down as 000000000 (US airways)).

Is there any other reason why i can't retrieve my confirmed booking on US?

P.S. none of these bookings involves US metal. And the record locators from the confirmed booking work like a charm on the respective carriers websites.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
Sorry if this sounds daft but I am bit of a newbie with dividend miles. Are you saying (if I can get availability) I can travel Australia to Asia to Europe to the US and return in F (where available) and return for 140K dividend miles? ie this is a valid routeing?

Thanks,

Marcus.
150k since your going via Europe, but as the other posters said yes & no.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Professionalism of the US Call Center Agents...

Tried to book a ticket within one single region. No stopovers were allowed on one region tickets, according rules. OK.

The ticket was finally refused, als I was holding - according US Rep - a stopover in the Itinerary and that was not allowed... I tried to make clear that the so called stopover is the destination of the roundtrip ticket... Nothing helped...

Then I asked, the same with a more familiar roting for the Rep:
if I would book an award ticket within the US (i.ex. PHX-PHL), do I then also have to complete my return flight PHL-PHX within 4hrs after the arrival?

The answer was YES...
Can only shake my head about such a professionalism...
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
The ticket was finally refused, als I was holding - according US Rep - a stopover in the Itinerary and that was not allowed... I tried to make clear that the so called stopover is the destination of the roundtrip ticket... Nothing helped...

Then I asked, the same with a more familiar roting for the Rep:
if I would book an award ticket within the US (i.ex. PHX-PHL), do I then also have to complete my return flight PHL-PHX within 4hrs after the arrival?

The answer was YES...
Can only shake my head about such a professionalism...
I think this is the point at which one is justified in asking for a supervisor. Yes, some of them are as dense as molybdenum at times, but my money is on the supervisor understanding the destination/stopover distinction at least 90% of the time.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:38 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by themadsupra
Just wanted to also say thanks to everyone who helped contribute to this thread! ! THANKS FLYERTALK I can't wait to recline 180% degrees! I am pushing 6ft 4" and the 31" space that they give you in coach is HELL for me! This should be much better
Welcome to FT! I am always happy when people discover the secrets of the magi.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:41 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by ldnhlj
Now i know that it's not random, it's only because the other 2 were neither connecting to nor from a LH segment.
Now i have a question, when i try to retrieve my complete itinerary on US with the US confirmation code, i can't find the (confirmed) booking at all!!!
The only reason i can think of is that the agent who ticketed my confirmed itinerary might have forgot to type in my DM#,
Is there any other reason why i can't retrieve my confirmed booking on US?
P.S. none of these bookings involves US metal. And the record locators from the confirmed booking work like a charm on the respective carriers websites.
Call US and have them enter the DM# in the reservation so you can look at it from your DM Acct
within 15 min you should see it in your profile when you click on the miles in your home page.
You will see a list of upcoming trips including this one.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:56 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Originally Posted by ldnhlj
omplete itinerary on US with the US confirmation code, i can't find the (confirmed) booking at all!!!
After it rejects the booking, check in the URL bar to see that the date in the URL (I think it displays it as YYYYMMDD) reflects your actual (local) date of departure. Whenever I try to look mine up, it rejects it initially, as it defaults for some reason to the day before my actual departure. When I adjust the URL to the proper local departure date, it works.

I am in Australia though, so maybe it is a timezone thing that does it.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:08 am

Best Award routing for MUC - MEL ?

Hi,

does anybody have a crystal ball to predict the best availabilty on the route from munich to melbourne mid jan to mid feb in business?
This will be our second trip and we want to try sth else than Thai - more or less no matter what. So any suggestion as for example NZ over London or SIA over Singapore is more than welcome..

many thanks in advance
Prof
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by ProfNapalm
does anybody have a crystal ball to predict the best availabilty on the route from munich to melbourne mid jan to mid feb in business?
ANA Tool can help you figure out what's available. Whether US will let you book it is another story, but since you're not flying transatlantic, you may escape some of the problems others here have experienced.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Tk f jfk-ist-jfk

Has anyone had any luck getting 2 seats in F on this route. It seems at F8 they always show 1 seat for an award. At F7 and below they show nothing even the day before departure.

I was going to book one seat with US miles and another with CO miles. Has anyone had luck booking two seats? How about a request for TK to open up one seat for an award with F7?

I do have enough miles in both accounts to book 2 at the same time if that would help my chances.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by Dan6681
Has anyone had any luck getting 2 seats in F on this route. It seems at F8 they always show 1 seat for an award. At F7 and below they show nothing even the day before departure.

I was going to book one seat with US miles and another with CO miles. Has anyone had luck booking two seats? How about a request for TK to open up one seat for an award with F7?

I do have enough miles in both accounts to book 2 at the same time if that would help my chances.
Put one seat on hold, get a confirmation number. You may be lucky to note that there is still availability for another one! If so, grab this too! (I have had this problem with Thai - never shows more than two at a time in F but I used this little trick to book 4 of us together from Asia to Australia on TG.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.