Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 2:48 pm

BTW, has anyone ever gotten a functional Amadeus PNR from US? Every time I try to get one, it doesn't work on checkmytrip.com (says the trip may have been cancelled).
Old May 25, 2010, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
BTW, has anyone ever gotten a functional Amadeus PNR from US? Every time I try to get one, it doesn't work on checkmytrip.com (says the trip may have been cancelled).
Nope, only LH.
Old May 25, 2010, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by dre_techie
I have a booking on hold with 4 LH and one NH segments. Got the LH reference, checked it, all segments check out.

However the next morning when I checked it out the NH segment is gone and it shows another 4 segments on LH (which were the original ones I had requested, and subsequently changed)

Right now USAir booking ref shows the correct (modified once) reservation, however the LH booking ref shows one missing and some extra segments.

Should I be worried? The agent I spoke to today said everything looks okay on their side, and that I can ticket it as it is confirmed by USAir.
1. Check the LH Confirmation number on www.checkmytrip.com and see if the flight is there.
2. When the agent is about to ticket, confirm all the flights and you'll receive the conf for LH and NH.
3. If you don't receive it for NH (I didn't) call their US office @ 800-235-9262
Old May 25, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gsforfree
1. Check the LH Confirmation number on www.checkmytrip.com and see if the flight is there.
2. When the agent is about to ticket, confirm all the flights and you'll receive the conf for LH and NH.
3. If you don't receive it for NH (I didn't) call their US office @ 800-235-9262
1. I checked the LH reference on Amadeus (checkmytrip and M&M to select my seats). How else would I have known what I said in my post?

2. I have the confirmation for LH, none for NH.

3. I'll try that. But I basically have no reference of anything to give them other than the flight number. I assume that they won't see USAir's booking ref, and on LH's it doesn't show anymore.

Has anyone had this happen and then after ticketing it went back to normal? I don't want to cancel it since I don't want to lose that last seat on one segment.
Old May 25, 2010, 3:37 pm

I had a rather slow (but very friendly) customer rep yesterday and it was quite interesting to listen to the background noises. It seems like (who want's to out himself) somebody was booking his flights solely based on the airplanes used (like "the only Airbus A320 flight that date leaves at 4pm"). The same person also gave out information about the number of revenue and non-revenue passengers on a specific flight. I don't know if she was talking to a supervisor or to the customer at that point, but I found that quite interesting.
Old May 25, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
TAM to Brazil

I'm been trying to get 2 First or Business awards on TAM for March 2011 to Brazil, but all seats are blocked (including coach). I then tried for Jan 2011 and couldn't find anything.

I know that its carnival in March, but was curious if TAM just doesn't make a lot of award seats available or if their release date for award seats is shorter than 330 days.

Thoughts?
Old May 25, 2010, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by dre_techie
3. I'll try that. But I basically have no reference of anything to give them other than the flight number. I assume that they won't see USAir's booking ref, and on LH's it doesn't show anymore.

Has anyone had this happen and then after ticketing it went back to normal? I don't want to cancel it since I don't want to lose that last seat on one segment.
If you give them the flight number and your last name, they should be able to see it.

If US sees the flights that are currently on hold, you should be able to ticket without an issue, since you still have the right to refuse ticketing if the flights don't match.

Just in case, you may want to have some alternate flights ready.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Swiss Availability

I've searched this thread, but haven't found a conclusive answer. For the last 48 hours I've been trying to book Swiss flights. They show available on the KVS tool (ANA) and Expertflyer, however every single agent says there is no availability. Am I missing something? I didn't think US blocked partner awards?
I've read the agents flight numbers and they are adamant that there is no availability. Very frustrating- any help would be appreciated.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by pitbrian
I've searched this thread, but haven't found a conclusive answer. For the last 48 hours I've been trying to book Swiss flights. They show available on the KVS tool (ANA) and Expertflyer, however every single agent says there is no availability. Am I missing something? I didn't think US blocked partner awards?
I've read the agents flight numbers and they are adamant that there is no availability. Very frustrating- any help would be appreciated.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-think-so.html

Originally Posted by gleff
Swiss seems to be a really interesting case, and not one that any of us entirely 'get'.

If there's a seat showing available on the ANA website for any other airline, US should be able to book it. Most of the time if US says they can't see the seat it's going to be because of one of the following:

(1) incompetent agent, hang up and call back and you get the seat
(2) married segments, have the agents sell the segments separately
(3) Synching issues, eg I often have had probs getting UA seats on Friday evenings but by the morning all sorts itself out.

US can sometimes book seats that do not show on the ANA site, eg SQ premium cabin seats between the US and Singapore (LAX-NRT-SIN..).

Back to Swiss. The ANA site does seem to show partner award space. You can book that space with NH miles of course, or in my experience CO miles.

But you may not be able to book those same seats with miles from US, UA, or even Aeroplan.

Could it be IT? The way the seats are being requested? A funky Point of Sale restriction? I'm not sure we've figured it out.

But LX availability seems to be an anomaly at times. And it isn't US "blocking" awards the way that's normally understood, which would mean a US Airways-imposed restriction to prevent members from booking otherwise-available seats. AFAIK only UA has historically 'blocked' and certainly there's no evidence to suggest that US ever has.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Thanks gleff. Its a bizarre and frustrating situation, because LX has the exact itinerary I need, and I want to transfer SPG->US with the bonus.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Do know that the SPG-> US transfer is not instantaneous, it'll take a few days. It may or may not happen within the hold period for an award. So you are making a transfer, holding your breath, and hoping seats still are out there when the time comes..
Old May 25, 2010, 6:15 pm

Do know that the SPG-> US transfer is not instantaneous, it'll take a few days. It may or may not happen within the hold period for an award. So you are making a transfer, holding your breath, and hoping seats still are out there when the time comes..
Yea- but these Swiss seats are X9, so if US could see that, I don't think I'd have an issue (plus I am flexible on dates).
Old May 25, 2010, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're transferring SPG points to do a coach award? C'mon, break the bank and go for F...
Old May 25, 2010, 6:20 pm

You're transferring SPG points to do a coach award? C'mon, break the bank and go for F...
LOL obviously not for me.. for a frugal family member.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Jeez, this happened to my friend and now me. The agent is claiming the destination counts as my stopover! Are they even training these agents anymore?? This is the CP Desk too!! ...on hold for a supervisor now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.