Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond.
Has anyone had any luck booking Air China F on a north Asia award? I found a LAX-PEK flight with two seats in F and verified availability on United and ANA. I've tried calling three times and none of the agents can see this availability. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Originally Posted by DutchRyan
Has anyone had any luck booking Air China F on a north Asia award? I found a LAX-PEK flight with two seats in F and verified availability on United and ANA. I've tried calling three times and none of the agents can see this availability. Any suggestions?
You could ask the agent to check the day before and the day after , as sometimes the US system shows flights on different days to ANA .
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by ianp
You could ask the agent to check the day before and the day after , as sometimes the US system shows flights on different days to ANA .
I thought about that, but United and ANA are both showing availability on that route on the days before and after my selected date.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
About 2 months ago I successfully ticketed 3 F seats IAH - PEK
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: Everyone!
For anyone looking at AKL in Late Jan/ Feb 2015...don't bother unless you are willing to overnight in Shanghai (PVG) outbound in order to take the Dreamliner (NZ)..UA arrives frpm ORD at 14:50 and NZ leaves to AKL at 14:15.......every other connecting city showing no availability for 2 business seats.

HKG, SIN, NRT, YVR, BKK, SFO, LAX, MEL, SYD
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:34 am

Just placed on hold PER-BKK-LHR (J 787/F new 747) then MUC-BKK-PER (TG F old 747/J A330) and total per person comes to $392 inc. $50 booking fee. Seems a bit high as that is arriving into LON not departing so shouldn't attract APD?

Nice mix of new planes over, old planes back!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Just placed on hold PER-BKK-LHR (J 787/F new 747) then MUC-BKK-PER (TG F old 747/J A330) and total per person comes to $392 inc. $50 booking fee. Seems a bit high as that is arriving into LON not departing so shouldn't attract APD?

Nice mix of new planes over, old planes back!
I'm not sure if I'm using ITA Matrix right but I work it out to be $222.60 USD (which is the below, minus the YQ?):
PER-BKK (Business)
Australian Passenger Movement Charge (AU) $50.00
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG) $5.60
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $14.80
(YQ) $140.00
(YQ) $5.00

BKK-LHR (First)
Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TS) $21.70
(YQ) $241.00
(YQ) $5.00

MUC-BKK (First)
German Airport Security Tax (DE) $7.70
German Passenger Service Charge (RA) $28.10
German Air Transport Tax (OY) $58.70
(YQ) $241.00
TG YQ surcharge (YQ) $5.00

BKK-PER (Business)
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $14.30
Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TS) $21.70
TG YQ surcharge (YQ) $140.00
(YQ) $5.00
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Didnt have a successful night even got the same agent called that many times. I try again tomorrow.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Didnt have a successful night even got the same agent called that many times. I try again tomorrow.
Wasting yours and everyone else time holding up the agents trying to do something which is not possible.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
doubled
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by .
I'm booked in [First, Business] but one of my flights is in [Business, Coach] - can I change it to the higher class?
Yes, before travel commences, you can change the class of service on a segment if a seat becomes available. There should be no cost to do this. Note that you must have paid the higher mileage rate when you originally ticketed the award. (reported okay as of 27 Oct. 2011 by mercflight and confirmed by ArizonaGuy - thanks!)
No luck for me. I've been trying to change a segment from Business to an available first class seat (the rest of the trip is already in first). I've tried it in French (they said it's only possible if I change my flight - a later one for example + 150 USD fee). I've also called twice the german speaking agents and three times in English: they all said it's ok to change the class but I need to pay the 150 USD modification fee.

Any advice on what to say to avoid this fee ?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Artemio
No luck for me. I've been trying to change a segment from Business to an available first class seat (the rest of the trip is already in first). I've tried it in French (they said it's only possible if I change my flight - a later one for example + 150 USD fee). I've also called twice the german speaking agents and three times in English: they all said it's ok to change the class but I need to pay the 150 USD modification fee.

Any advice on what to say to avoid this fee ?
As of recently, this charge has been consistently enforced even for those who have paid the higher class. IME its been this way for over a year now.

If you wish to change class, you might have to wait for a schedule change on your itinerary before you can make a change for free. Otherwise, you'll have to decide whether to bite the bullet and pay the change fee, or to "slum" it in business.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by nicksname
If you wish to change class, you might have to wait for a schedule change on your itinerary before you can make a change for free.
A couple weeks ago, exactly the flight I'm trying to change the class has been forwarded (20 min only). Is this enough to get a free class change ? If yes, it would mean I could call them again and point this out?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Artemio
A couple weeks ago, exactly the flight I'm trying to change the class has been forwarded (20 min only). Is this enough to get a free class change ? If yes, it would mean I could call them again and point this out?
Yeah, try approaching it from that point of view and see what the agents have to say. You have nothing to lose.

If that doesn't work out, perhaps you can try change to another flight on that leg that also has F availability. Use the guise that the flight change makes it inconvenient for you now.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by nicksname
Yeah, try approaching it from that point of view and see what the agents have to say. You have nothing to lose.

If that doesn't work out, perhaps you can try change to another flight on that leg that also has F availability. Use the guise that the flight change makes it inconvenient for you now.
Good to hear ! Tomorrow, I'll give it a try and post back the results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.