Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Hi, I am in the UK at the moment and I am looking at booking a complicated award.

Is it worth trying to book through the UK call center ? or is it best to call the US call center as they seem to be quite flexible.

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Coolers
These tools will only bring up "logical" routings. You will have better luck breaking up each direction into two searches, such as DC to FRA/MUC/ZRH/VIE/LHR/HKG/ICN/NRT and from each of those hubs to your final destination. Nobody said this would be an easy task lol.
Ahh. Thanks.

It appears Seattle and Seoul are the key. Silly me thinking it was places like LA, SF and Tokyo.

Now if only Star could get me to USM...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA PP, Bonvoy Gold
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the helpful information and all the helpful people in this thread. Using this info I was able to find a very good east coast to asia routing in J. And if you have your ducks in a row when you call in, the folks at the silver desk are very helpful!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Coolers
These tools will only bring up "logical" routings. You will have better luck breaking up each direction into two searches, such as DC to FRA/MUC/ZRH/VIE/LHR/HKG/ICN/NRT and from each of those hubs to your final destination. Nobody said this would be an easy task lol.
United's site does a better job of finding more routing options than ANA's site, so I always like to start there.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gumbotime
United's site does a better job of finding more routing options than ANA's site, so I always like to start there.
Regardless of whether you are using UA or NH tool, you will probably need to manually search by segment to get the results you are looking for. Considering the amount of phantom availability (due to point of sale issues in UA's website), any possible benefit of the UA site is cancelled out.

The ANA tool is the best free option by far.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Don't think their issue was that it seems to be that flying into HND and out of NRT after my ICN stopover and then flying into LCY and out of LHR wasn't allowed either. They considered that an open-jaw which to me is insane..
Cheers
Howie
HND/NRT are allowed as co-terminals provided you walk the agent through it if they are unclear (some think they are in different parts of Japan). LHR/LCY I haven't seen discussed here before. However you say they deemed London a stopover - that would also fit into the 'constructed stopover' category because its not a recognised routing for FRA-JFK. (agents don't always know how to explain why they come up with an answer - telling you LHR/LCY is an open jaw might be the easiest way for them to [incorrectly] describe it.)

Have you tried it without LCY?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
Red face Phantom availability all right

For the past few days I was unable to find an award flight from PVG back to the US, any which way, in September. Awardnexus shows no availabilty for an entire week, US Air says there is nothing open. N'est pas possible.
I gave award seat information to CR, but all were rejected.
Do we just cave in and buy what we have on hold?
STL (no flight from SPI?)-ORD-FRA (in business)(layover)-FRA-PVD (business) (destination)-PVD-FRA (business)-FRA-ORD (economy)-STL
With several sections in business should we just be glad for that and go the long way back over the Atlantic.
By reading these entries, I get the impression that the CR can be convinced. What method needs to be employed?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Hakluyt
For the past few days I was unable to find an award flight from PVG back to the US, any which way, in September. Awardnexus shows no availabilty for an entire week, US Air says there is nothing open. N'est pas possible.
STL (no flight from SPI?)-ORD-FRA (in business)(layover)-FRA-PVD (business) (destination)-PVD-FRA (business)-FRA-ORD (economy)-STL
With several sections in business should we just be glad for that and go the long way back over the Atlantic.
By reading these entries, I get the impression that the CR can be convinced. What method needs to be employed?
If you have broken it down sector by sector, and (for example) the ANA tool shows availability on each of those sectors, but USDM still can't see it, then you might need to go with what you have. You could wait 24 hours and try again and see if USDM can now see the availability.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
We don't have nonstop service to FRA here...

Perhaps you meant PVG?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:43 pm
zlc

I see PVG-KIX-SFO-STL available on UA for some days.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
Thanks

Thanks for your helpful advice.
I am afraid that we shall have to go with the itinerary as outlined.
We fly ORD-FRA in LH business, as per US Air CR. US Air just cannot find flight PVG-ORD, or anywhere to Westcoast, and then on to ORD, resp. DEN-STL in mid-September. Awardnexus does not show anything in that time period.
As far as I know, the FRA-ORD is non-stop in LH. Shall try again to-morrow and then we have to buy, before losing that particular itinerary at 100K miles.
And so it goes.
However, without the info from this website, I would not have gotten so far.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gumbotime
United's site actually gave me zero options, so ymmv.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I normally book relatively simple round trip awards but may be about to try to book something much more complicated for a relative, so I thought I'd consult the collective knowledge here first.

Routing would be PHL-CDG (stopover)-PEK-PHL. The return PEK-PHL can be via any valid routing. This brings up a few concerns:

1) Since this would really be PHL-PEK with a CDG stopover, do I have a MPM problem routing through Europe? Per KVS, the "25M" MPM for PHL-PEK is 10358 for a Pacific routing, and 14138 for an Atlantic routing. PHL-CDG-PEK-CDG-PHL is 17660; PHL-CDG-PEK-ORD-PHL is 16087 per http://www.gcmap.com/, which is why I think I may have a problem.
2) Would I need to pay the miles for a round the world ticket if both the Atlantic and Pacific are crossed?
3) Is there any limit on the length of the CDG stopover? I don't recall seeing one.
4) If the above is bookable, what mileage level would I be looking at in Y or C? Given the distance I assume I'm looking at greater than the North Asia routing.

If this doesn't work out, I'll probably buy a revenue ticket on PHL-CDG and use miles on CDG-PEK, though obviously I'd rather not spend money when I've got tons of miles.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Routing would be PHL-CDG (stopover)-PEK-PHL. The return PEK-PHL can be via any valid routing. This brings up a few concerns:

1) Since this would really be PHL-PEK with a CDG stopover, do I have a MPM problem routing through Europe? Per KVS, the "25M" MPM for PHL-PEK is 10358 for a Pacific routing, and 14138 for an Atlantic routing. PHL-CDG-PEK-CDG-PHL is 17660; PHL-CDG-PEK-ORD-PHL is 16087 per http://www.gcmap.com/, which is why I think I may have a problem.
The only problem is that you are double-counting your mileage :
http://Help.KVSTool.com/#MPM

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.7 - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: PHL-CDG-PEK]
Code:

CTY   DC   TPM   CUM   MPM  DC SUR  HGL   LWL   25M  XTRA       
PHL 1                                                           
PAR 2 AT  3723  3723  4467  AT  0M   744     0  5583     0      
BJS 3 EH  5086  8809 11311  AT  0M  2502     0 14138     0
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by KVS
The only problem is that you are double-counting your mileage
Well, then that's a problem I was glad to have, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.