Search

Investors emerge for US Airways — sort of

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile Investors emerge for US Airways — sort of

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/today/sky.htm

A group of former pilots hopes to buy US Airways and fly it out of bankruptcy protection — but that plan depends on a bit of help from friends and families of current and retired staff. The Resource Advantage Group, or RA Group, says it already has more than $200,000 in pledges to help buy US Airways, Melvin Blocker, a 28-year veteran who retired from the airline in 1993, tells The Charlotte Observer (free registration). "The dreams and opportunities that brought us to this industry are being destroyed and our efforts ignored," the group says on its Web site. "The future of this airline appears grim at best and this may be our last chance to stop the downward spiral in which we (are) caught."

RA Group partnered with Smith Barney to collect money for the venture. Backers haven't figured out how much they'll need to take over the carrier, but they do say they would install new management. Tantalizingly, the group notes that Gordon Bethune is soon leaving as CEO of Continental. Meanwhile, current pilots at the airline say they expect "minimal" or no layoffs associated with their new contract. There had been fears of a massive cut of cockpit crew. It's just as well: US Airways has canceled about 80 weekend flights, citing temporary crew shortages — mainly pilots, who had maxed out their contract-mandated cap of 85 hours per month. The new contract allows them up to 95 hours a month. Posted 8:15 a.m. ET
Old Nov 4, 2004, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by olde hornet

A group of former pilots hopes to buy US Airways and fly it out of bankruptcy protection — but that plan depends on a bit of help from friends and families of current and retired staff. The Resource Advantage Group, or RA Group, says it already has more than $200,000 in pledges to help buy US Airways, Melvin Blocker, a 28-year veteran who retired from the airline in 1993, tells The Charlotte Observer (free registration). "The dreams and opportunities that brought us to this industry are being destroyed and our efforts ignored," the group says on its Web site. "The future of this airline appears grim at best and this may be our last chance to stop the downward spiral in which we (are) caught."

RA Group partnered with Smith Barney to collect money for the venture. Backers haven't figured out how much they'll need to take over the carrier, but they do say they would install new management. Tantalizingly, the group notes that Gordon Bethune is soon leaving as CEO of Continental. Meanwhile, current pilots at the airline say they expect "minimal" or no layoffs associated with their new contract. There had been fears of a massive cut of cockpit crew. It's just as well: US Airways has canceled about 80 weekend flights, citing temporary crew shortages — mainly pilots, who had maxed out their contract-mandated cap of 85 hours per month. The new contract allows them up to 95 hours a month. Posted 8:15 a.m. ET

right...$200K ought to do it
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:10 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Bless their hearts. Wait until those former pilots find out management requires more than 60 hours a month.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:15 am

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat

A group of former pilots hopes to buy US Airways and fly it out of bankruptcy protection — but that plan depends on a bit of help from friends and families of current and retired staff. The Resource Advantage Group, or RA Group, says it already has more than $200,000 in pledges to help buy US Airways.

This is further evidence of a serious drug problem in America.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I think the FT boards could raise more than that and purchase an airline. Heck FFOCUS could do it. Once we buy US I nominate Tom Bascom for CEO, Piney Bob for Labor Relations and Clue for COO. Now who wants BBB's job?
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:56 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
I think the FT boards could raise more than that and purchase an airline. Heck FFOCUS could do it. Once we buy US I nominate Tom Bascom for CEO, Piney Bob for Labor Relations and Clue for COO. Now who wants BBB's job?
l4pi!

And we put Alysia in charge of catering.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:02 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Come on now, it worked so well for United...
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
We know the airline is in trouble if the amount raised in the equity fundraising effort is referred to as "pledges."

BTW...does that mean that Bluto, Stork and Otter can't invest?

Last edited by Score8; Nov 4, 2004 at 11:59 am
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Me!!

"Hi. Spiff. Rush Chairman. Damned glad to meet you."
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:11 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
$200K? Bonner could take a healthy tax deduction for RSA's loss on this investment!
Old Nov 4, 2004, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.

Wow! Pass me some of whatever it is they're smoking.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Me!!

"Hi. Spiff. Rush Chairman. Damned glad to meet you."
You have no idea how much I needed that laugh today. Thanks!!!!!
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:26 pm

Programs: United Gold
Hey - the bidding has to start somewhere!

Anyone planning to bid $200,001? Otherwise, these guys might win.

Laugh of the Day goes to deelmakur though. "Bless their hearts..."
Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:46 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Buy two Dash-8s for $1.25M or bid $200k for the whole airline... Hmmmm...
Old Nov 4, 2004, 6:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
What are the steps of grieving again? Denial, Anger,...

The dreams and opportunities that brought us to this industry are being destroyed and our efforts ignored," the group says on its Web site. "The future of this airline appears grim at best
The first part is right...there's no longer revenue to support the old wage & work rule structures these guys enjoyed, and neither is coming back. Ever. Sorry.

The future of US is indeed 'grim at best' because of the deep, deep denial in which the legacy union leadership lives. NOTHING is gonna bring back the halcyon days. Change or die. Sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.