Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of service in First Class CLT-SXM roundtrip?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2004, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What kind of service in First Class CLT-SXM roundtrip?

Hi, I'm taking a trip from CLT-SXM in first class roundtrip in late April. Can any seasoned US Airways fliers share what I can expect in terms of service, meals, etc. as well as airport experiences at SXM (I can't wait to be on the beach at the end of the runway at SXM!)?

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Thank you for flying and staying UNITED. Your business and support is highly appreciated. Enjoy your flight and spread the word!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:09 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Standard domestic F service. Nothing special.

It seems like running up to the end of the runway at the beach and getting jet blasted is a big thing down there. Especially when the Air France 747 does its daily departure.

Remember the scene from "Pushing Tin" when John Cusak and Billy Bob went to the end of a runway when a 747 landed, and they got hurled to the sides by the wake turbulence? Well, empirical evidence would dictate that does not happen.

At SXM, people run up to the fence, which is LITERALLY at the end of the runway pavement, and watch planes land all the time right over their head. The people don't get hurled after it passes and touches down.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
United Skies,

Welcome to the US board! Looks like you will be aboard the newly reconfigured 757 with only 8 (yes eight) first class seats. Congratulations in scoring one of those. I have not flown this route before but the timetable says that F Class will be served lunch. Not sure what exactly lunch is these days, but count on it to include plasticware and plastic cups!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UnitedSkies:
Hi, I'm taking a trip from CLT-SXM in first class roundtrip in late April. Can any seasoned US Airways fliers share what I can expect in terms of service, meals, etc. as well as airport experiences at SXM (I can't wait to be on the beach at the end of the runway at SXM!)?

Thanks in advance!

</font>
Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NeoOfTheCRS:
United Skies,

Welcome to the US board! Looks like you will be aboard the newly reconfigured 757 with only 8 (yes eight) first class seats. Congratulations in scoring one of those. I have not flown this route before but the timetable says that F Class will be served lunch. Not sure what exactly lunch is these days, but count on it to include plasticware and plastic cups!

</font>
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure if your "congratulations" was for real or you were being sarcastic ! Was the conversion done to have fewer first class seats, or was there a product upgrade (unlikely I know!) done as well?

------------------
Thank you for flying and staying UNITED. Your business and support is highly appreciated. Enjoy your flight and spread the word!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHL:
Standard domestic F service. Nothing special.

It seems like running up to the end of the runway at the beach and getting jet blasted is a big thing down there. Especially when the Air France 747 does its daily departure.

Remember the scene from "Pushing Tin" when John Cusak and Billy Bob went to the end of a runway when a 747 landed, and they got hurled to the sides by the wake turbulence? Well, empirical evidence would dictate that does not happen.

At SXM, people run up to the fence, which is LITERALLY at the end of the runway pavement, and watch planes land all the time right over their head. The people don't get hurled after it passes and touches down.
</font>
Oh, darn, I won't be hurled 50 feet into the air? J/K. It'll be a great experience nevertheless - can't wait to go!

------------------
Old Mar 7, 2004, 10:36 am

Going to the beach near the end of the runway and watching the planes land is truly one of the coolest things I've done in my lifetime.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
You can do this in the U.S., too. Spending a few hours at the park next to DCA is quite nice on a summer day. ;-)
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
No the congratulations was quite sincere, Many elites who would have been upgraded on the old 757 config have been sitting in the back because of the dramatic reduction in the first class seating. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum51/HTML/006487.html

The 757's are flying now primarily low yield leisure routes hence the management rationale for the reconfig. US is gradually improving the F Class product, but still not even close to UA's offerings.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UnitedSkies:
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure if your "congratulations" was for real or you were being sarcastic ! Was the conversion done to have fewer first class seats, or was there a product upgrade (unlikely I know!) done as well?

</font>
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
As one who has spent countless hours roasting in the sun on Maho Beach while watching the planes, I think it's one of life's best experiences! Unfortunately the AF 747-300 has been replaced by an A-340, but KL and Corsair still fly them to SXM. The jet blast experience is awesome - while you don't get blown away like the movie "Pushing Tin", you do get a lot of sand blowing in your face at high speeds.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
which hurts a lot by the way if you dont close your eyes!!!!! It's an awesome experience though!
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:15 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind getting blasted with Kerosine fumes. Does it leave you with a 'high' afterwards?
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHL:
Remember the scene from "Pushing Tin" when John Cusak and Billy Bob went to the end of a runway when a 747 landed, and they got hurled to the sides by the wake turbulence? </font>
Funny enough that is exactly what I though of too!

USFlyer: DCA used to be nice, but now all you get are RJ's! But it is cool to see the planes flying by that close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.