Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways 2011 Grand Slam Promotion
Reload this Page >

General GS Discussions -- Post all "minor league" topics here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Dia, WOH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plt

Grand Slammers,

PLEASE POST ALL "MINOR LEAGUE" or RANDOM TOPICS HERE!!!!!

I like that FlyerTalk gave us our own "sub-forum" but whereas last year was one extreme (one gigantic thread with hundreds of pages), this year is heading in the other direction (hundreds of small threads.)

I think there's a need for a thread that is available to consolidate all the random, little topics that don't fall under the "Major League" themes of Car Rentals, Hotel Stays, Hotel Transfers, etc. I miss going to one thread and reading all the random thoughts people come up with in a day.

So... I decided to try to start a desire path** and make such a thread. I guess if enough people agree, this thread will live on... if not, oh well. I tried.

So, PLEASE POST ALL "MINOR LEAGUE" TOPICS HERE!!!!! And feel free to shame others to do the same

(**Desire Path is the term for those dirt trails that spontaneously pop up when people collectively decide to take the shortest route and not follow the established concrete path)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

...and I'll start it off with a random comment:

GRAND SLAM... please just START ALREADY!!! Will ya???

I've got my 500+ e-miles ready to go.
I've got my $25+ e-Rewards currency.
I've got an overpowering desire for some Biscoff cookies (I hope they ship to Iraq).
I have three deserving folks to whom I REALLY want to ship flowers.
I have an empty pen just waiting for a new cartridge and I wanna plant a tree somewhere for $2.
I'm stranded at the DFW terminal and desperately need a SuperShuttle to the Hyatt about 400 feet away.

C'mon, Grand Slam... GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!!!

Last edited by Alumino; Sep 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm Reason: missing an "e"
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:33 pm

aren't you also excited to attend the Charlotte poetry slam??
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kvs25
I found a high award ticket to charlotte i think i'm going to use to attend this one. Anyone not think thats a great use of miles?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kvs25
I sure am! Gonna make it a poetry grand slam, y'all!

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed the show "Incorruptable" last year at the Duke Energy Theatre.

(No... seriously... it's not possible for me to begin....)
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachbrew
I found a high award ticket to charlotte i think i'm going to use to attend this one. Anyone not think thats a great use of miles?
Why not? Might as well travel in style for such a show! You should book a second high award ticket so you can block out the seat next to you.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
How late can one buy a ticket for the poetry slam? I don't want to deprive someone from going but that is becoming an increasingly attractive hit.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Audience Rewards Ticket Donations to USO

Are you "attending" the Charlotte Poetry Slam or any other ticketed event in the Durham or Charlotte area???

And by "attending" I mean not attending? Want to donate your ticket to a good cause?

I just contacted the USO in North Carolina and they expressed an interest in receiving donations of tickets to events in NC. They said that they already have a process in place to handle the distribution of sport/concert/event tickets to local Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.

Now your ticket doesn't have to go to waste!

I'm not quite sure how to best handle the logistics -- I just thought this up about 30 minutes ago, and just got the reply from the USO. I'm willing to help coordinate this process, I just have to figure out the best way. If you have any thoughts, please let me know here or by PM. I'll probably set up an e-mail account for folks to send the e-tickets to.

Anyway, just figured I'd pass that along! Stay tuned!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
US Airways Cruises

Anyone know if buying a cruise and then being "unable" to show up for it would get a hit? I was just playing around on the website and saw a three day one way cruise from Vancouver to LA they are advertising for $99. Of course, these are based on double occupancy and there are probably a boatload of taxes added in (pun intended), so I'm sure nothing would cost out very nicely. Still, I thought it might be worth discussing.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: US Air, United
I would like to propose a solution to the dilema of all the threads being created for "minor league" issues or questions.
1. When someone creates a new thread of this nature, one of us posts a reply in which we say that the Mods have asked that this type of thread not get started. We then take the question and post it to this thread on behalf of the poster who might not really understand. We include in this message direction to the thread where the question has been re-posted.
2. We answer the question on this thread and try to be nice about it.
3. No one else replies to the question on the original thread. It therefore falls to the bottom of the sub forum and can be ignored. This part is really key!! The more "don't post here" replies something gets the more it keeps these things alive!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: SQ
The audience rewards will definitely work if you buy the ticket and no-show???

I'm in Boston, and not for that long unfortunately, so there's no way I'm going to be able to do that unless they add some shows outside of NYC. I feel bad for the poetry slammers....
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
Poetry Slam, Grand Slam? I think there is some kind of subliminal meaning there.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:38 am

Donating to the NC USO for Audience rewards tickets

I liked the idea of donating tickets and followed up and called the USO. Email tickets can be mailed to [email protected]
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Alumino
Grand Slammers,

PLEASE POST ALL "MINOR LEAGUE" or RANDOM TOPICS HERE!!!!!
OK, here is a random topic.

How many actual miles did people walk away with last year? I realize that 36 hits will get you 100,000 miles. But considering sign on bonuses, transfers, credit card bonuses etc, how many miles above 100,000k did people earn?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Sky Mall question-- Tried to submit an order through Sky Mall today, but can not get to the final submit screen-- Any thoiughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.