FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways 2011 Grand Slam Promotion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-2011-grand-slam-promotion-684/)
-   -   any other easy hits? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-2011-grand-slam-promotion/1255608-any-other-easy-hits.html)

bryanwallace Sep 5, 2011 7:27 pm

has anyone managed to find a cheap supershuttle??

dukerau Sep 5, 2011 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by nemloc (Post 17058300)
Does that count as a coupon and not give a hit?

I don't see how it would. The $10 off is in the form of a statement credit a few days after the purchase, so US Air has no way of knowing about the $10 off.

metoo Sep 5, 2011 9:01 pm

Supershuttle is the name of the company. Cost is determined on start and finish point (airport)...If you really just want to pay very little amount for a hit, drive your own car close to the airport so when you book, the distance will be very close and it may cost a lot less than if your house is far from the airport.

bryanwallace Sep 5, 2011 10:16 pm

yeah-cheapest icould find at lax is 15$ for a trip to the car rental place there..
do discounts work and do you actually have to ride it?
cant see it in the t and cs - i think a lot of people got this hit last yr without riding

Alumino Sep 6, 2011 4:34 am

SuperShuttle: Last year, many used DFW to DFW Hyatt
--Didn't have to actually ride, just "intended" to ride
--Cost was like $5-7 or so

CORRECTION: was $12, but there was a $3 coupon floating around last year, so it was $9 door-to-door. So to speak....

lkar Sep 6, 2011 8:21 am

According to my notes, I paid $12 for no show DFW supershuttle to the Hyatt last year.

I think there was one other location that gave credit for a no show. Others tried other locations and did not get credit for a no show. DFW seemed to be the only one that was reliable for a no show, but, YMMV.

pinniped Sep 6, 2011 8:34 am

OK, I'm not a huge US Airways guy but I'm seeing this Grand Slam stuff all over Flyertalk so I figured I'd take a look. I downloaded Silverhalide's cool spreadsheet. (Thanks for that! :))

I could with minimal effort achieve the following:

- One post for US Airways Visa. (I already have the card...got it for a signup bonus.)
- Six hotel stays. I have a recurring trip where I tend to end up in very low-cost Marriotts (sometimes $50 CY's): could hit the 2,000-mile bonus promo and do Fri-Sat hops to finish it in three weekends.
- Six rental cars.
- Five hotel program conversions.
- DM Dining
- DM Shopping
- E-Rewards
- E-Miles
- 1800flowers.com
- FTD.com
- Teleflora
- DM Toolbar
- Mags for Miles

Total cost to me:
- One free National rental day, although I have piles of those and won't miss one more.
- Probably about $100 paying above street value for flowers
- If I can actually get the 2k promo at Marriott, I'll call the entire hotel points sacrifice an even trade.
- Maybe an hour of my time making the purchases, fiddling with hotel accounts, etc.

45,000 DM miles for not too much incremental cash out the door.

Any flaws to my logic (e.g., a chance that these Marriott 2,000-mile bonuses won't post or won't count as hotel hits?) or other easy hits I'm missing?

I won't rule out hitting some of the other shopping partners...maybe OfficeMax plus a couple others. As long as my "cost" is simply shipping expense, not buying some strange product I'll never use.

Alumino Sep 6, 2011 8:55 am

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 17062627)
According to my notes, I paid $12 for no show DFW supershuttle to the Hyatt last year.

Just checked SuperShuttle.com and the current un-discounted price from DFW to Grand Hyatt DFW or DFW Hyatt Regency is indeed $12

pinniped Sep 6, 2011 9:06 am

I'm surprised they even do that run. Aren't those hotels physically IN the airport? (Or one of them anyway...)

Alumino Sep 6, 2011 9:18 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 17062860)
I'm surprised they even do that run. Aren't those hotels physically IN the airport? (Or one of them anyway...)

Yup. Both are.

pinniped Sep 6, 2011 12:00 pm

One update to my own post earlier about hotels: the Marriott promotion seems to be limited to a very thin list of 270 hotels out of their portfolio of 3000 (or whatever).

Fortunately, it still works for me - three of my regular Dallas hotels are on there. They tend to run $75-90/nt., not the $50 that some of the cheapest Courtyards do. And to be safe, I'd probably also visit the lobby bar to ensure my total folio is $100 (200 miles)...just in case it's the stay that counts as a hit and not the 2,000 mile bonus that posts later.

bryanwallace Sep 6, 2011 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 17063875)
One update to my own post earlier about hotels: the Marriott promotion seems to be limited to a very thin list of 270 hotels out of their portfolio of 3000 (or whatever).

Fortunately, it still works for me - three of my regular Dallas hotels are on there. They tend to run $75-90/nt., not the $50 that some of the cheapest Courtyards do. And to be safe, I'd probably also visit the lobby bar to ensure my total folio is $100 (200 miles)...just in case it's the stay that counts as a hit and not the 2,000 mile bonus that posts later.

i thought that if you set your earnings to us air miles to get the stay hit then you wouldnt get the 2000pts marriott bonus?

pinniped Sep 6, 2011 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace (Post 17064460)
i thought that if you set your earnings to us air miles to get the stay hit then you wouldnt get the 2000pts marriott bonus?

It's a 2k US Airways mileage bonus. I think you have to be set for air miles both for hits and for this promotion.

bryanwallace Sep 6, 2011 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 17064510)
It's a 2k US Airways mileage bonus. I think you have to be set for air miles both for hits and for this promotion.

i see .thanks
but which promo is this there seems to be 2.
one for inviting new member and getting points for them and you when staying or the other stay and get bonus for 5 nights one?
can these be used together?

dwcatty Sep 7, 2011 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Alumino (Post 17062801)
Just checked SuperShuttle.com and the current un-discounted price from DFW to Grand Hyatt DFW or DFW Hyatt Regency is indeed $12

I recall someone found a $3 discount code and posted it, so my actual cost was $9.