Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rentals [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:14 am

You get the 500 for signing up. I got it for the 3 Hertz accounts I'm using for GS. You also get 100 bonus per rental day, but according to the T&C you don't earn them for FF rentals.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Has anyone had a thrifty car rental post recently? My rental on 10/8 rental hasn't posted yet.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
OK. I guess I was asking if I need to leave my earning preference as points to get that 500. If you select Gold Plus Rewards, it seems like you can't earn US miles. From my account details page:

"Hertz Gold Plus Rewards is our Free Rewards program that allows you to earn free days, free weeks and more with Rewards with no blackouts and points don't expire*.

[ ] Yes, I want to join Hertz Gold Plus Rewards.
-OR-
FREQUENT TRAVELER (FT)
US Airways XXXXXXX"
In my profile it has me set 4 Gold Plus Rewards & US Airways
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:29 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Cool. I booked 6 reservations, 1 new one each day at my HLE.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iamthehpt
Has anyone had a thrifty car rental post recently? My rental on 10/8 rental hasn't posted yet.
Nothing yet for me. Also rented on 10/8.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Got another one of the, "Oh, you're doing it for the miles" quips when picking up the car at HLE. She seemed curious about the promo so I gave her a quick overview. She was pretty impressed with our initiative.

Mike
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
Got another one of the, "Oh, you're doing it for the miles" quips when picking up the car at HLE. She seemed curious about the promo so I gave her a quick overview. She was pretty impressed with our initiative.

Mike
My HLE guys, as well. On my 3rd and 4th $16.25 'never see a car' rental I told them I expected to be out about $300 a year for two years, and that would be enough miles to fly to Paris and back three times. They, too, were quite impressed.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
OK. I guess I was asking if I need to leave my earning preference as points to get that 500. If you select Gold Plus Rewards, it seems like you can't earn US miles. From my account details page:

"Hertz Gold Plus Rewards is our Free Rewards program that allows you to earn free days, free weeks and more with Rewards with no blackouts and points don't expire*.

[ ] Yes, I want to join Hertz Gold Plus Rewards.
-OR-
FREQUENT TRAVELER (FT)
US Airways XXXXXXX"
Right. If you pick the Rewards points, you can't get FF miles. Also, be careful each time you make a reservation because that checkbox can mysteriously revert to GPR instead of FF miles. This happened to me on my 2nd and 3rd rentals. Since Hertz can't/won't award FF miles once they've gone into the GPR pot, those two rentals were for me a waste of $ and more importantly, time, because the Hertz folks in my local airport are both rude and dense.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:28 pm

Wirelessly posted (Android: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

For those renting local hertz does it say how many miles you will earn? mine shows my us ff number but no amount of miles I will earn.
I'm a bit afraid as I used a cdp but I don't think cdp cancels out the miles

Last edited by jason8612; Oct 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Boy, Jason must REALLY need an answer to his question.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:38 pm

Wirelessly posted (Android: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
Boy, Jason must REALLY need an answer to his question.
Lol. Yeah but att and horrible signal keeps reposting
Wow that was a lot of reposts

Last edited by jason8612; Oct 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by jason8612
For those renting local hertz does it say how many miles you will earn? mine shows my us ff number but no amount of miles I will earn.
Sometimes, but not always. It doesn't matter.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
i understand bout the cheap hertzs at the weekend and the hourly ones-but anyone finding cheap car deals outside thurs-sun??
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So I've read the thread and it seems that hourly reservations in Manhattan will work, but when y'all reserved them, did it show the daily rate? I'm in NYC for the weekend and can knock out between 1-3 cheap rentals, but I can only confirm the daily rate ... if I rent for an hour, it should only be $15 base, right?

Also, do I have to stick with the return location I put on my reservation? I said I'd rent at 34th St and return at 95th, but I might have to stay toward Midtown and return back at one of the 3 in Midtown West

Btw, I've been seeing plenty of $24 a/i HLE reservations in the L.A. area (non-airport), and I'm under 25, so I can't use the $5 off code (I use the code to take off the $15 age surcharge).

Last edited by amolkold; Oct 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: A little bit of everything
anyone ?

any updated CDP's i tried to use the Amex platinum and it didnt work at hertz
i am currently at 26.50

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.