Grand Slam 2011 registration is officially open

Old Aug 23, 11, 3:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,359
Thumbs up Grand Slam 2011 registration is officially open

You can register here:

http://shopping.usairways.com/promot...PromoCode=GS11

You can find a tracking spreadsheet here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/2011-...et-v1-0-a.html

Last edited by johndoe123; Aug 24, 11 at 7:16 pm
johndoe123 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 4:06 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,397
Woot! This will be broken down more by others shortly I'm sure, but right now, this year's tiers and last year's (IIRC):

Code:
Hits   This Year   Last Year

 4     3,000     4,000
 8     10,000    8,000
 12    15,000    14,000
 16    25,000    20,000
 20    35,000    32,000
 24    45,000    44,000
 28-36 same as last year
 40    110,000   -
Looks like except for the first 4 hits, you will earn the same amount or more compared to last year. Up to 5,000 elite qualifying miles instead of 6,000 last year on the first 36 hits, and while there are only 10,000 additional bonus miles on the 40th hit, half are elite qualifying.

EDIT: Misread the chart

Last edited by lowfareair; Aug 23, 11 at 5:53 pm
lowfareair is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 4:14 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,005
So how about some other differences?

I see Lifelock is only good on annual memberships.
USA Today, seems like you can do a trial 4 month subscription?
maksimfa is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 4:30 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AA, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,233
I found USAToday to be an expensive hit last year, as it was something like $27 per month, and you had to keep it for 3 or 4 months to get the hit. I misread it at first and budgeted $27, but it was far more. And I don't like the paper.
Originally Posted by maksimfa View Post
So how about some other differences?
USA Today, seems like you can do a trial 4 month subscription?
slocouple is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 4:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Shangri-La Diamond
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by lowfareair View Post
there are only 10,000 additional bonus miles on the 40th hit, they are all elite qualifying.
The way I read it, only 5,000 are PQMs (total PQMs = 10,000)
fish114 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 4:41 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by slocouple View Post
I found USAToday to be an expensive hit last year, as it was something like $27 per month, and you had to keep it for 3 or 4 months to get the hit. I misread it at first and budgeted $27, but it was far more. And I don't like the paper.
USA Today

usatodaysubscribe.com/dividendmiles10 | 800-872-0001; special offer 638



Read about your favorite travel destinations in USA TODAY and visit them tomorrow!

USA TODAY delivers the news you need to know when you need it in a quick, concise format to save you time. Stay informed and enrich your life with exclusive and unique stories found only in USA TODAY.
Sign up for home or office delivery and receive a 4-week subscription for only $19.95.
Earn 1,000 bonus miles when you subscribe today and another 100 miles each month.
Call 800-872-0001 (ask for offer 638) or visit usatodaysubscribe.com/dividendmiles10

Terms & conditions

Nevermind, on the site....

* Terms and Conditions: Offer requires enrollment in our EZ-PAY program, our automated payment plan. Your annual subscription will be charged automatically every 4 weeks at the current published rate (currently $19.95). For all airline rewards, the sign up bonus will be awarded after 12 weeks. Cancellations prior to 12 weeks will not be eligible for the initial sign up bonus. Limit one per member per year. Offer valid in the continental US and Hawaii only. All standard airline terms and conditions apply.

$60 for the hit.... yeah.....
maksimfa is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 4:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Purgatory
Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Posts: 9,232
Last 4 hits just aren't worth the effort unless 10K PQM will actually bump you up.
ArizonaGuy is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 4:54 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Posts: 1,673
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy View Post
Last 4 hits just aren't worth the effort unless 10K PQM will actually bump you up.
If only the last 4 hits gave you 10k PQM; if I'm reading the rules correctly, the last 4 hits only give you 5k PQM (it's 10k cumulative if you count the 5k you earn earlier for the lower level hits). Probably easier just to do a mileage run if you need the PQM.
rob_flies_ua is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 4:55 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by lowfareair View Post
Looks like except for the first 4 hits, you will earn the same amount or more compared to last year. Up to 7,000 elite qualifying miles instead of 6,000 last year on the first 36 hits, and while there are only 10,000 additional bonus miles on the 40th hit, they are all elite qualifying.
The way I read it, you only get 5,000 PQMs on the first 36 hits this year, and 5,000 PQMs more when you reach 40 hits.
starflyer is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 5:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CHA/TYS
Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Posts: 2,840
what's the confusion with the 40th hit? it shows 10,000 miles from 36-40, with 10,000 of those being PQM, meaning EVERY one of those 10k from 36-40 is 10k, not 5.

if you max out to 40, then you get 17k PQM

edit: i'm probably wrong.

Last edited by mrredskin; Aug 23, 11 at 5:55 pm
mrredskin is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 5:49 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,346
Originally Posted by starflyer View Post
The way I read it, you only get 5,000 PQMs on the first 36 hits this year, and 5,000 PQMs more when you reach 40 hits.
I think that's correct. It's pretty useless for anyone who already will make CP, and also for someone who is not within striking range of the next tier. If the first 5k of PQM will get you to about 51k for the year, the second 5k doesn't do you much good, and the amount you will spend just for the extra 10k of RDM is not likely worth it.

On the other hand, if you're working toward a level and this will save you a mileage run, it may be worth it. It's hard to find a mileage run that will earn 5k PQM on a *A carrier that credits 100 percent to US from where I live for much less than 4.5 cpm or so, or $225, and I consider that a pretty good find if I can do it on a weekend. Add in that you also get 5k RDM, and don't have fly, and I'd personally value these last 4 hits as worth about $300 (again, if you need to get the 5k PQM). So, if there are $60 to $70 hits still attainable after I get to 36 hits, I may give it a shot.
lkar is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 5:53 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,346
Originally Posted by mrredskin View Post
what's the confusion with the 40th hit? it shows 10,000 miles from 36-40, with 10,000 of those being PQM, meaning EVERY one of those 10k from 36-40 is 10k, not 5.

if you max out to 40, then you get 17k PQM
I wish you were correct, but I'm virtually certain you're wrong.

It says: 110,000 miles (10,000 of which are Preferred-qualifying miles)

In other words, 10,000 of the total 110,000 are PQM. Of the last 10k for hits 37-40, you'll only get 5k PQM. Just no other way to read it, I'm afraid.

Edit: And, of course, there's this: "The maximum amount each member can earn with this promotion is 110,000 miles (10,000 of which are Preferred-qualifying miles)." Doesn't really seem open to interpretation to me.
lkar is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 5:54 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Purgatory
Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Posts: 9,232
Do you know what the best part is about the partners?

No Dividend Miles Wireless - that awful, horrible company. Obviously that's been replaced in general by Tranz Mobile (which is erroneously listed as Verizon Wireless). But the downside - no $5 screen wipes for a hit.

That's OK, I'm up for contract renewal in November so we'll see whether I need it to reach 36 hits.
ArizonaGuy is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 5:56 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CHA/TYS
Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Posts: 2,840
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
I wish you were correct, but I'm virtually certain you're wrong.

It says: 110,000 miles (10,000 of which are Preferred-qualifying miles)

In other words, 10,000 of the total 110,000 are PQM. Of the last 10k for hits 37-40, you'll only get 5k PQM. Just no other way to read it, I'm afraid.

Edit: And, of course, there's this: "The maximum amount each member can earn with this promotion is 110,000 miles (10,000 of which are Preferred-qualifying miles)." Doesn't really seem open to interpretation to me.
i read it again about 5x and you're probably right.

that's an absolute horrible 40th hit incentive.
mrredskin is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 5:57 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CHA/TYS
Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Posts: 2,840
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy View Post
Do you know what the best part is about the partners?

No Dividend Miles Wireless - that awful, horrible company. Obviously that's been replaced in general by Tranz Mobile (which is erroneously listed as Verizon Wireless). But the downside - no $5 screen wipes for a hit.

That's OK, I'm up for contract renewal in November so we'll see whether I need it to reach 36 hits.
DM Wireless posted the hit last year and for about $10. I'd gladly accept that hit again this year.
mrredskin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread