Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Tag Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2002, 1:18 am

Like most other service issues, this one is unfortunately quite inconsistent. If you were arriving at a line station on a narrowbody, it's quite easy for the ramp agents to sort the bags as they're coming down the belt, even if the upline station didn't sort them. We (the night shift) used to do it in Richmond. The day shift usually didn't. And it is unfortunate, as it's one of those little things that can make a big difference.

The bright orange United First tags have higher priority over the darker orange *A Priority (Star Gold=UA PremEx/1k) tags. And Premiers shouldn't be afraid to ask for one. It's amazing what you can get with a nice question and a smile.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 10:08 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Interesting conversation. My thoughts is they don't make a difference, when my bags haven't been tagged they have come out first, and when they have been tagged they have come out last, and visa versa. I think it's a marketing tool to make you think they are getting special handling, but next time the baggage thing starts up stand by the discharge chute and see what really comes up first, it's not always priority stuff.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technically, the bright orange United First tags (vs. the dayglow red Priority Handling ones) were supposed to be only used on International flights, but soon slopped over to Premium Transcons and then others.

But like I said above, many agents don't know or care or understand these things. Some may think, "Hey...this guy is entitled to the First Class line, so he must be entitled to the First Class tags."

Some agents even think the "International First Class" and "International Business Class" elastic string carry-on bag tags are some sort of priority baggage flag. They are not, and are mainly ego devises for your cabin carry-on. Though they are officially coined as flags so that United personnel can spot you and offer you assistance if they think you need it.

I don't think so. Those elastic ones are a show-off stroke-the-ego thing for the customer at best. You know? "I'm sitting in Fur-urst, and you're not! Na, na, na na, na." IMHO.

Old Jul 11, 2002, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Technically, the bright orange United First tags (vs. the dayglow red Priority Handling ones) were supposed to be only used on International flights, but soon slopped over to Premium Transcons and then others.

But like I said above, many agents don't know or care or understand these things. Some may think, "Hey...this guy is entitled to the First Class line, so he must be entitled to the First Class tags."

Some agents even think the "International First Class" and "International Business Class" elastic string carry-on bag tags are some sort of priority baggage flag. They are not, and are mainly ego devises for your cabin carry-on. Though they are officially coined as flags so that United personnel can spot you and offer you assistance if they think you need it.

I don't think so. Those elastic ones are a show-off stroke-the-ego thing for the customer at best. You know? "I'm sitting in Fur-urst, and you're not! Na, na, na na, na." IMHO.

</font>
My experience does not quite conform with your theory. I was once sitting in upper deck Connoisseur class (paid C), when the ground service staff came upstairs and gave me and my seat mate (not traveling with me) seats 4A and 4B... she then specially tagged our carry-on bags "First Class" with tags she had brought aboard with her. Route: LAX-NRT. Year: 1995.

Maybe they did this so that miscreant C passengers don't place their luggage in the first cabin?
Old Jul 11, 2002, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
I'll agree with those who have found that on international flights and at foreign airports the priority bags pretty much come out first.

Domestically, I've found it's hit or miss.

On Asian airlines (SQ, JAL, NH, Cathay) I've found the the first class bags always come out first followed directly by the business class bags.

On Continental, I've always waited ages for the bags and it priority tags make NO difference.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 5:53 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jtrader:
I'll agree with those who have found that on international flights and at foreign airports the priority bags pretty much come out first.

Domestically, I've found it's hit or miss.

On Asian airlines (SQ, JAL, NH, Cathay) I've found the the first class bags always come out first followed directly by the business class bags.

On Continental, I've always waited ages for the bags and it priority tags make NO difference.
</font>

Right on the money jtrader
Old Jul 11, 2002, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I usually carry on so I don't have much experience with the priority tags. But...on my recent round trip from SFO-OGG with my wife, we did check. The priority tags didn't help us one bit on the SFO-OGG leg. But on the flight home when we were dog tired and just wanted to get home our priority tagged backs were amongst the first few off the plane---HOORAY.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 4:07 am

Here's an interesting twist... flying from LHR to MAN the other day on BD, they tagged my bag * Priority, and as I was exiting the plane, I saw that the first bags off of the plane all had the orange tags. They were being loaded into the bottom of the first luggage cart... of course, then they proceeded to continue unloading the bags on top of those bags, then on to the next cart, and so on. Needless to say, the orange tagged bags were peppered somewhat randomly through the latter half of the bags coming off the carousel, as they were on the bottom of one of the luggage carts.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 5:14 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skofarrell:
In SFO last Feb (coming back from BKK via HKG), I waited over 50 min for my bag, in the customs transit area. It was one of the last off (relief that it wasn't lost was replaced by irritation the moment I saw it). I sought out a concierge, ripped off the orange tag, and asked her why an orange tagged bag was one of the last off. She gave me the typical UA "not my problem" shrug.</font>
Given that UA only runs BKK-NRT, did you somehow recheck your bags with UA in HKG during your HKG transit to get the tag, or did you put one on yourself in BKK when you flew up on the non-UA carrier... or did you stop over in HKG and just do a clean UA806 to SFO?

Old Jul 12, 2002, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Everyone has to realize how difficult it is for the ramp'ers to organize these bags and have them delivered first - first they come off of the plane then onto a cart...then usually surrounded by other bags...then into the claim area they have to be unloaded onto the belt to go to the claim area (at least in DEN this is how it works) and to keep track of those priority bags the whole time is just too much for the typical ramp-er to handle....I worked at AWAC and to be honest, the majority of ramp-ers didn't care about the tags at all...in fact some specifically made efforts to not give those bags special treatment. Definately not right, but that's the training they get...again, at least at AWAC.

-Mike
Old Jul 12, 2002, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Yes like all things there are inconsistencies but in the VAST majority of UA flights our bags come off early. And for that I am thankful.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Jul 12, 2002, 4:24 pm

I heard that angry employees sometimes target priority bags for misrouting or damage. Frightening!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.