Wiki Posts
Search

wrigley field from ord

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2002, 8:11 am
mjd
Original Poster

wrigley field from ord

I need some advice from all my chicago land friends. I am going to fullfill a boyhood dream only 20 years later than I hoped. I am going to my first game EVER at wrigley field. I am flying in the morning on united and flying back the same day. What is the best way to get to wrigley field from ord and back. I was hoping to avoid a rental car if possible. Does the train go there? As well I'm flying on a friends buddy pass, so I have to get kind of dressed up. Are there lockers at ord to leave my clothes? Or is there any other place I could leave them? Any advice on what the locals eat and drink at wrigley besides the 9 beers in the bleachers? I don't think I could do that and be able to fly the same day. Thanks for your help
Old Jun 20, 2002, 8:22 am

Programs: United
Getting from ORD to Wrigley is not too difficult. Even in the worst of rush hour traffic, it should not take more than 45 minutes to an hour. You could take a cab. Each way would be about $25. The absolute cheapest way to get to get to Wrigley (and it's really cheap and pretty easy), is to take the train (i.e. the El (short for Elevated Train) to a bus and then take the bus. For that, what you do is, as you are exiting ORD, look for the signs for the train to downtown. Follow those to the entrance of the ORD El station. You'll need to buy a plastic ticket. Put about $4.00 on the card (you can choose how much to put on the card). Go through the station entrance and get on the train. Don't worry about which direction to go, ORD is the end of the line so all trains go toward downtown. Take the El about 6 stops (that's a guess) to the Addison St. station. (There are maps inside the train cars which will make things easy for you). Get off at Addison. Walk up to Addison Street. You should see a bus station nearby. You'll want to get on the Addison bus that is heading left from the direction you just came on the El. (You want to be heading east toward Lake Michigan). If when the bus comes by, you're not sure, just ask if the bus is going east toward Wrigley. The bus drivers are friendly and will gladly let you know whether you're going in the right direction). Take the bus about 2 miles until you see the stadium on your left). This should take about 10 minutes. Again, let the bus driver know that you want to get off at Wrigley and he'll call it out.

As for fares, the El costs $1.50. The bus will be an extra $.30 (or maybe $.20) if you get on within an hour or so after getting off the El. Same for the way back -- $1.50 for the bus then $.20 or $.30 for the El.

Have fun. Wrigley is an awesome park.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Couldn't have said it better myself. At O'Hare, the "EL" station is in a tunnel that connects terminals 1,2,3. Also, in that tunnel, is the connection to the Hilton, the only hotel on airport property. I do think, for a fee, you can use lockers & dressing facilities. For food...it's hot dogs and pizza, at Wrigley. If you have time, there are some great spots nearby, mainly south of the stadium on Clark St. Heaven on Seven and Pick Me Up Cafe both have great food.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 9:14 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
You can buy a 1 day CTA pass for unlimited travel that cost $5.00.

Hope you have a great time at Wrigley. It is one of the best ballparks in the world. Even the upper deck seats are better than first level seats in many stadiums. If you get a day of pleasant weather and slight breeze off Lake Michigan, there is nothing better than a day at Wrigley.

Why not spend more than a day in Chicago? Wrigleyville's(area around Wrigley Field) location on the north side has lots of great pubs and restaurants. And the rest of Chitown is really great!
Old Jun 20, 2002, 9:22 am

There are lockers in the airport if you need them but you can actually wear jeans if you are flying on a buddy pass as long as you fly coach.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:21 pm

Originally posted by PremEx2002:"The absolute cheapest way to get to get to Wrigley (and it's really cheap and pretty easy), is to take the train (i.e. the El (short for
Elevated Train) to a bus and then take the bus. For that, what you do is, as you are
exiting ORD, look for the signs for the train to downtown. Follow those to the entrance of the ORD El station. You'll need to buy a plastic ticket. Put about $4.00 on the card (you can choose how much to put on the card). Go through the station entrance and get on the train. Don't worry about which direction to go, ORD is the end of the line so all trains go toward downtown. Take the El about 6 stops (that's a guess) to the Addison St. station. (There are maps inside the train cars which will make things easy for you). Get off at Addison. Walk up to Addison Street. You should see a bus station nearby. You'll want to get on the Addison bus that is
heading left from the direction you just came on the El. (You want to be heading east toward Lake Michigan). If when the bus comes by, you're not sure, just ask if the bus is going east toward Wrigley. The bus drivers are friendly and will gladly let you know whether you're going in the right direction). Take the bus about 2 miles until you see the stadium on your left)."

You don't have to take the L because you are coming form ORD. The L is a part of the train system that is downtown. Take the blue line from ORD towards downtown. Ask an employee in which station you have to get off or look at the train system map. What you are looking for is the blue line station which makes a connection with the red line(Sorry that I don't remember the name of the station but you can see it on the map). Get off at that station and follow the signs to take the red line ( You have to go down). Continue until the Addison Station. You'll see cubs fans in the train.(People wearing Cubs shirts, hats etc.)When you get off the train, look around you or follow the fans, you will see the Stadium. Price $1.50 since the connection from the blue line to the red line is free. Enjoy the game!
Old Jun 20, 2002, 2:09 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OK, here is how to do the L without bothering with busses:

Buy a $ 3.00 transit card from the CTA machine at ORD (just before the turnstiles).

The one way fare is $ 1.50.

Take the Blue line L train to the Washington Street stop (this follows Clark & Lake Streets).

On the platform, look for the stairway that goes DOWN and is marked for passage to the RED LINE.

Go down the stairs to the pedestrian walkway and proceed 1 block to the next stairway at the end of the tunnel. Don't even think about trouble since there are dozens of others there all of the time.

Go up the stairs one level to the RED line. On the platform, board the NORTHBOUND train headed to Howard Street or Evenston.

Exit the Red line L at Addison Street and you are a block from Wrigley Field and can follow the crowd there.

The same fare card will take you home and use up the balance of $ 1.50.

The total trip (one way) should be about 75 minutes.

After the games, there is often a line to board the Red line (southbound) but you should be able to get on by the third train or so.

And don't worry about creeps on the CTA. I have done it many, many times without problems.
Old Jun 23, 2002, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Both methods of getting to Wrigley are correct. If you take the blue line from O'Hare to the Red Line towards Howard (Wrigley) then you have to go downtown to connect. The first method, Blue line to Addison Bus is more direct. My guess is that it will take about an equal number of minutes as the bus does have to ply its way down a 2 lane street (yes, one lane each direction) for a few miles to get to the park.

As for times, the blue line to Addison is probably about 15 minutes then another 20 -30 for the bus ride.

Blue line to downtown is 45 minutes. Then the red line to Wrigley is 20-25 minutes.

Personally, I'd fdo train/bus as I hate to travel out of the way.

Finally, all trains in Chicago are called the El. Technically, the Blue and Red lines are also a subway as they go underground. Don't get hung up in wording.
Old Jun 23, 2002, 12:11 pm

ooh....I'm jealous! Great advice so far, let me tweak it a little:

This is my caveat: all depends on time of day and day of week for how I would go. If I had money for a taxi on one end (and the timing worked) no doubt I would do it as you will be able to see exponentially more on your short stay.

Here goes: I find this a useful link when I have time for public trans in Chicago:

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

results show for a Tuesday 7/2 11am arrival:

Walk 0.5 mile NE from O'HARE AIRPORT to O'HARE CTA (BLUE - O'HARE)
Take CTA BLUE LINE TRAIN (TO 54TH/CERMAK)
Depart: O'HARE CTA At 12:15 PM
Arrive: ADDISON CTA At 12:36 PM

Take CTA BUS # 152 ADDISON EASTBOUND
Depart: ADDISON CTA BUS STOP At 12:40 PM
Arrive: ADDISON & CLARK At 12:55 PM
Walk 0.1 mile NE to WRIGLEY FIELD

Although you could also do the IRving Park connection and take the Clark St. bus. Depends again on timing, I'd go with whatever the CTA tells you. I do agree strongly with neo_781 that you don't have time to take a train-to-train connection as that puts you WAY out of the way even though the views of the loop are spectacular on the way in the Blue Line, going subway for a while on the red line is cool and arriving on the train platform next to the field where you can see third base is also really neat. Save that for when you have time.

For drinkies b4 (and after of course) the game. I'd recommend Cubby Bear (just south of the field) Yakzees (just west/north of the field, they have nice outdoor area) and the bar directly opposite the bleacher entrance on Waveland St. whose name eludes me. That one is the best as it is right next to the field, always has a party crowd and the train runs right over the bar which is a quintessential Chicago experience (talking over train rumblings).

Food, also depends on time and I'm a big fan of Heaven on 7 (look for catman's post on his trip to ORD last weekend and you'll see the response he got) [edited to reflect new info from *Highflyah* below. The city changes fast!]

My personal favorite is the Weiner's Circle which is on Clark Street a little further south I believe and NOT walking distance. Though it is the best at 2:30 - 5 am, it is worth a stop if you haven't had true Chicago hot dog. Another favorite is the mexican place that uses grain alcohol in their margaritas (what WAS their name....) Nice outdoor eating area and good food, also underwear hanging from the ceiling (a little weird but memorable). Right on clark I belive but walking distance to the ballpark. Many blurry post-game memories from there.

For a day trip mjd there are SO many places around the field to eat or drink, I would stick to the "pureness" of your mission and make it a wrigley-field-centric experience. Keep it in the neighborhood, as that is after all what Chicago is really about, it's neighborhoodiness. I always tend to overload my short trips and am finally learning I think. Keep it focused!

I used to live 1.5 miles north of the stadium so I am also familiar with other good, smaller, mostly ethnic places in that area if you want to venture forth. I also attended games in my suits when I worked downtown, tho I would roll up my sleeves and take off my tie as I played hooky for 4 hours in the bleachers. Any dress style is appropriate, just lose your shirt and you're a winner.

Email me directly if you'd like more personal insight or have questions.

What a FUN trip you'll have. GO CUBS!!!!

[This message has been edited by gregseattle (edited 06-23-2002).]
Old Jun 23, 2002, 12:23 pm

There is a Heaven on Seven on Clark.

The address:
Heaven On Seven On Clark
3478 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60657
(773) 477-7818

That is just a couple of blocks south of Wrigley Field.

------------------
When once you have experienced being a 1K, you will forever fly the friendly skies with your eyes set on 100% mileage bonus and SWUs, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return, every year!
Old Jun 23, 2002, 1:55 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
When I lived in Chicago, my Dad came to visit and we went to a Cubs game together, and he had a look of pure joy on his face as he got to see Harry Carey lead the crowd in Take Me Out to the Ballgame (This was about 2 years before Harry died, and about 3 years before my Dad died - oddly enough both in Palm Springs At Eisenhower Memorial Hospital).

Long story short, make sure to fulfill all your boyhood dreams whenever you get the chance.

[This message has been edited by robb (edited 06-23-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.