FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - wrigley field from ord
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2002, 12:11 pm
gregseattle

ooh....I'm jealous! Great advice so far, let me tweak it a little:

This is my caveat: all depends on time of day and day of week for how I would go. If I had money for a taxi on one end (and the timing worked) no doubt I would do it as you will be able to see exponentially more on your short stay.

Here goes: I find this a useful link when I have time for public trans in Chicago:

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

results show for a Tuesday 7/2 11am arrival:

Walk 0.5 mile NE from O'HARE AIRPORT to O'HARE CTA (BLUE - O'HARE)
Take CTA BLUE LINE TRAIN (TO 54TH/CERMAK)
Depart: O'HARE CTA At 12:15 PM
Arrive: ADDISON CTA At 12:36 PM

Take CTA BUS # 152 ADDISON EASTBOUND
Depart: ADDISON CTA BUS STOP At 12:40 PM
Arrive: ADDISON & CLARK At 12:55 PM
Walk 0.1 mile NE to WRIGLEY FIELD

Although you could also do the IRving Park connection and take the Clark St. bus. Depends again on timing, I'd go with whatever the CTA tells you. I do agree strongly with neo_781 that you don't have time to take a train-to-train connection as that puts you WAY out of the way even though the views of the loop are spectacular on the way in the Blue Line, going subway for a while on the red line is cool and arriving on the train platform next to the field where you can see third base is also really neat. Save that for when you have time.

For drinkies b4 (and after of course) the game. I'd recommend Cubby Bear (just south of the field) Yakzees (just west/north of the field, they have nice outdoor area) and the bar directly opposite the bleacher entrance on Waveland St. whose name eludes me. That one is the best as it is right next to the field, always has a party crowd and the train runs right over the bar which is a quintessential Chicago experience (talking over train rumblings).

Food, also depends on time and I'm a big fan of Heaven on 7 (look for catman's post on his trip to ORD last weekend and you'll see the response he got) [edited to reflect new info from *Highflyah* below. The city changes fast!]

My personal favorite is the Weiner's Circle which is on Clark Street a little further south I believe and NOT walking distance. Though it is the best at 2:30 - 5 am, it is worth a stop if you haven't had true Chicago hot dog. Another favorite is the mexican place that uses grain alcohol in their margaritas (what WAS their name....) Nice outdoor eating area and good food, also underwear hanging from the ceiling (a little weird but memorable). Right on clark I belive but walking distance to the ballpark. Many blurry post-game memories from there.

For a day trip mjd there are SO many places around the field to eat or drink, I would stick to the "pureness" of your mission and make it a wrigley-field-centric experience. Keep it in the neighborhood, as that is after all what Chicago is really about, it's neighborhoodiness. I always tend to overload my short trips and am finally learning I think. Keep it focused!

I used to live 1.5 miles north of the stadium so I am also familiar with other good, smaller, mostly ethnic places in that area if you want to venture forth. I also attended games in my suits when I worked downtown, tho I would roll up my sleeves and take off my tie as I played hooky for 4 hours in the bleachers. Any dress style is appropriate, just lose your shirt and you're a winner.

Email me directly if you'd like more personal insight or have questions.

What a FUN trip you'll have. GO CUBS!!!!

[This message has been edited by gregseattle (edited 06-23-2002).]