Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My new mission: To be nothing but a cost center to UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My new mission: To be nothing but a cost center to UA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:37 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by ryan182
UA had a CASM of 0.1574 in 2008, so in a probably over simplistic way of looking at it if your paying less than that, you're paying less than its costing UA to move you. As to there marginal cost, well no real way to determine that, but yes many airlines price flights below marginal cost, heck some UK airlines sell some seats for a pound.
You are right on the marginal cost is impossible to figure, but it MUST be far less than that. That includes all of the fixed costs...the property, the debt, the equipment. The addl labor is minimal...the flight attndts and pilots are scheduled based on capacity and equipment, so no extra cost there. The labor for ramp/CS...well, there could be a tiny cost there added. The cost of catering and fuel...well there is a cost there, but relative to the total cost, it can't be that much. The only true incremental cost to UA is the distribution cost, which is pretty much on a per ticket/reservation basis.

There is a displacement cost, but that exists more on full flights, where the lower inventory buckets aren't available, and if you are buying only lower fare inventory, the relative displacement risk should be low.

For an airline to truly price BELOW their marginal cost would be anticompetitive, and there are serious repercussions if that could be proven in a competitive market.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:45 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Theoretically, some of the few things OP can do that would cost UA without giving it a dime includes:

1. Accessing non-RCC *A lounges via UA status while flying *A carriers that do not share revenue with UA (assuming UA will reimburse that lounge visit)

2. Booking awards on *A carriers using UA miles (assuming UA will reimburse that ticket)

3. Accessing RCCs & consuming whatever amenities available via UA status while flying *A carriers that do not share revenue with UA

I am sure there are more creative ways that I can't think of right now. Feel free to correct the above list and/or add to it.

LAX
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
fadeforward nailed the issue: misunderstanding of -UP fares by ground staff has been documented on this board for several years now, and it is really puzzling that issue persists...
Indeed. I had this problem earlier this year during irrops on an A fare in DEN of all places. Perhaps it's long overdue that we start bugging UnitedPR about this.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
I really think that it is unfair that so many people are basically telling OP that he got what he deserved b/c he booked an itin with a lot of connections. I think he has EVERY RIGHT to expect UA to have a better attitude and follow their own policies when attempting to accomodate the IRROPS!

Don't get me wrong - I DO think it's warranted that OP should manage his expectations that there is the possibility of IRROPS happening and causing him to miss his boat. But I think he should also be able to expect that UA honor his A fare by either providing compensation or else re-booking him in F cabin when finding alternative transport. They also should have at least tried to move his bags for him off the original flight! Both of these expectations are perfectly reasonable whether booking an itin with lots of connections or not!

If it's an ITIN that OP "shouldn't have booked" then I'd say it's REALLY an itin that UA "shouldn't have sold" so it's still their responsibility.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ryan182
I aim to be a cost center for UA now and not a revenue stream.
Well, technically when you purchase any ticket, whether at a profit or loss to UA, you're providing them with revenue.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:51 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by HunterSFO
I really think that it is unfair that so many people are basically telling OP that he got what he deserved b/c he booked an itin with a lot of connections. I think he has EVERY RIGHT to expect UA to have a better attitude and follow their own policies when attempting to accomodate the IRROPS!

Don't get me wrong - I DO think it's warranted that OP should manage his expectations that there is the possibility of IRROPS happening and causing him to miss his boat. But I think he should also be able to expect that UA honor his A fare by either providing compensation or else re-booking him in F cabin when finding alternative transport. They also should have at least tried to move his bags for him off the original flight! Both of these expectations are perfectly reasonable whether booking an itin with lots of connections or not!

If it's an ITIN that OP "shouldn't have booked" then I'd say it's REALLY an itin that UA "shouldn't have sold" so it's still their responsibility.
Above, I asked if it was a mileage run -- if so, it was more trouble than it was worth. But if it was a regular ticket (as OP later says), then it is UA's responsibility to take care of him/her in a reasonable manner after offering such a routing. And that includes the A fare / F class seating.

I am surprised that it was even offered as a valid itinerary. Aside from the fiasco of the A/F misunderstanding by agents, it is something to watch out for, and I would try to avoid such extra stop itineraries in the future myself.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:59 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
At least the OP was a bit more restrained than the poster on this (now closed) thread over on the US board: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ancer-die.html

The problem in trying to be a "cost center" is that the marginal cost of carrying an extra passenger is very low. Even a $150 one-way fare overseas probably covers marginal cost and then some. Even when you buy a very cheap ticket, you're contributing revenue that would otherwise not be collected if the seat would otherwise go empty, according to the theory at least.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by fadeforward
Not only an unhelpful post, but an uninformed one. If you read the OP, you'd know it was an A fare, a discounted first class fare.

More:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rst-class.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...light-day.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-up-fares.html
I know how an A fare works. The OPs original rambling was hard to follow and I missed that part. Definitely a bummer for the OP. At the same time, trying to be a cost center to UA is arguably the dumbest idea I've seen on this board. Just take your money elsewhere. That is the best revenge.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
fadeforward nailed the issue: misunderstanding of -UP fares by ground staff has been documented on this board for several years now, and it is really puzzling that issue persists, especially at IAD where there is a lot of experienced staff. It would seem like this would be an easy performance issue to remedy.

OP: would LAX-MIA or even SNA_SFO-MIA on AA be a future option?
Considering that OP wanted/needed to be in MIA for Labor Day Weekend diving, I'm really stunned that OP didn't just take a nonstop on AA. I'd prefer spending the time diving or hanging out in MIA than being on UA metal!

I seriously thought this SNA>SFO>IAD>MIA routing was a MR gone wrong! Can't believe that an elite would need to get somewhere on a holiday weekend and would rely on UA with connections through SFO and IAD, regardless if an F or A or S/T fare.

Even an F fare could result with Y routing for the missed SFO/IAD.

As for the luggage, I can believe that the agents "knew" where the luggage was on the MX plane, but couldn't/wouldn't help OP get it.

Next time fly nonstop when time is of the essence! No bonus RDM/EQM is worth this hassle
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I misread the thread title and thought the OP wanted to be a CALL center for UA.....

then again, maybe there isn't that much difference between a call center and a cost center.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Wink Interesting

Well, without wishing to sound like a smart-a, perhaps I am risk averse, but if I had the money for the A fare I would have also sent the diving gear ahead on that special UA ship-ahead for bags thing that I will never use for sure. I see that this H-UP fare is $1384 +++ whereas there is an L fare in this market for $198+++. I have to thank our friend for keeping UA going is my initial thought, as I would have been sitting next to him in the L fare. Equally fuming by the way, but on the phone to the 1K desk with AA alternatives in mind.

This H-UP is really coach with an automatic upgrade isn't it? Mind you $1384 is more than I have ever paid to go to Europe and I have done that more times than I care to think. So I'd be more than a little upset in his position.

On the other hand you take a double connection, and you pretty much know that one of those flights is going to be a problem.

So I don't know what to say. I always tell the agent that I love things going wrong as it always works out better than the original plan. While this is not quite true it generally is - like non stops on competitors, more miles, a nice night in a pleasant hotel instead of with the inlaws - you name it. And the agent is so happy that you are nice unlike the 150 who are going to follow you that she/he'll do anything. And of course they can do anything, and I find most often they do.

Good luck. You'll be back my friend. The others are even worse. Try getting support out of AA when things go wrong is all I can say. UA are a dream. Of course AA has never gone bankrupt. Same goes for BA and Singapore and all those foreign carriers that are truly vicious when stuff goes wrong. Air Asia is THE worst - but what do you expect for $25. I know. Been there done that. And I always come back to our buddies at UA, like I know you will. We're hooked! It's a disease. And it is incurable.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
...This H-UP is really coach with an automatic upgrade isn't it? ...
Put your flack jacket on -- some of the other FTers may react strongly to this ...

H-UP is a H fare that books into A -- it is a discounted first class, not a coach + auto upgrade. A very distinctly different set of circumstances.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:36 am

Programs: UA *G
I guess some things you could do. Complain, get SkyKits, use them for cash. Take as many bumps as possible and use the cash certs, then repeat bump cycle on school vacations.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Put your flack jacket on -- some of the other FTers may react strongly to this ...

H-UP is a H fare that books into A -- it is a discounted first class, not a coach + auto upgrade. A very distinctly different set of circumstances.

Techinically speaking, HUAUP is an "Economy Restricted" fare, with a booking code of "A". Fares that don't initially book into the the first letter of the fare basis code are unusual on the marketing carrier's own metal, (not as unusual once code shares are involved), but this is one of them.

"A" happens to be in the first class cabin on most UA flights.

If you still don't believe me, look it up on Expertflyer, it is an ATPO "E" fare, not an "F" fare.

All that being said, the CS reps need get their act together and treat their best customers better.....even if they try to make a time sensitive trip on a holiday weekend with multiple connections and CHECKED LUGGAGE.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yogi
All that being said, the CS reps need get their act together and treat their best customers better.....even if they try to make a time sensitive trip on a holiday weekend with multiple connections and CHECKED LUGGAGE.
clearly you've never seen a dive bag or the gear associated with diving, but not checking a bag isn't an option. I also find it interesting that apparently I should always expect at least a 50% failure rate on UA since apparently having more than 1 stop should indicate automatic failure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.