Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

QUP fares and Gate Agent denial that this is first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: I've gone underground!

I had some strangeness in SEA last night. I bought a ticket whose initial segment was on a QUP fare booking into A. I approached the agent for a completely unrelated issue and she told me that QUP fares are coach. I informed her that, in fact, QUP fares are discounted first class tickets. A little song and dance ensued and I kept wondering why I was even having this unrelated discussion (had no influence on my issue).

I've searched and found various comments that QUP fares are not coach, but is there some profile or something saying that QUP fares are discount first tickets?

Waiting for my buddy, Theodore. Rar. That's the sound of my stomach as it ponders the boxed food on the plane and other options at IAD.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 7:21 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emma dog
I've searched and found various comments that QUP fares are not coach, but is there some profile or something saying that QUP fares are discount first tickets?
They book into A. That makes then a first-class fare, as opposed to the Y and B fares that book into Y and give a free upgrade to F. The GA shouldn't even need a profile for that; A is a first-class fare bucket.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: Lots
Sigh...
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:03 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Axey
Sigh...
I concur.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:36 am

Programs: United 1P, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
They book into A. That makes then a first-class fare, as opposed to the Y and B fares that book into Y and give a free upgrade to F. The GA shouldn't even need a profile for that; A is a first-class fare bucket.

I dont think GA's see these fares very often...i had the same conversation with one recently
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: Lots
They see them all the time. A memo was just sent out to them. Of course, that doesn't make them read or understand.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
They see them all the time. A memo was just sent out to them. Of course, that doesn't make them read or understand.
What memo was this?

They really need to change these to A fare basis.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
What memo was this?

They really need to change these to A fare basis.
I thought half the point of QUP/YUP was to be able to work the corporate travel system and fly in the F-cabin while purchasing a ticket with a Y-cabin basis code.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Guess someone didn't get the memo from their 8 bosses. Someone needs to send them another copy.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:01 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by thegingerman
Guess someone didn't get the memo from their 8 bosses. Someone needs to send them another copy.
Yeeeeeeaaah, you see United's putting new cover sheets on all the TPS reports, mmmkay? Did you get the memo? We'll go ahead and get you another copy of that memo....
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Would very much like more information on the memo. My YUP flying buddy got a lot of guff at DFW about his "P" booking code being discounted first class and their unwillingness to rebook him recently. After lots of rigamarole they did take care of him but everyone he dealt with was very dismissive and clearly didn't appreciate that this wasn't a "cheap" ticket.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Yeeeeeeaaah, you see United's putting new cover sheets on all the TPS reports, mmmkay? Did you get the memo? We'll go ahead and get you another copy of that memo....
^
Old Jun 19, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
I know the real solution to this is for agents to be informed that these are discounted first fares but in the meantime it might make sense to print your itinerary from UA.com which shows Cabin: Discounted First. Not that they all will care but some might believe that you are in fact correct.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beerman92
I know the real solution to this is for agents to be informed that these are discounted first fares
The message went out to every front line employee just very recently.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Beerman92
I know the real solution to this is for agents to be informed that these are discounted first fares but in the meantime it might make sense to print your itinerary from UA.com which shows Cabin: Discounted First. Not that they all will care but some might believe that you are in fact correct.
Yeah, I did this. Actually, where this all comes from is that my company will not pay for "First Class" and so I didn't want the e-receipt that says "Discount First Class" for my QUP fare. So, when I went to Mr. Chicken, there was some glitch where it wouldn't print the first line of the fare basis codes. I went to an agent and asked for some assistance. At first, she argued that the fare basis codes didn't matter and that companies look solely at the ticket cost. After having a discussion about this issue, she then told me that QUP fares aren't first class and that my company should take the e-receipt and be happy. I sort of agree that they should take it, but the reimbursement people understand "First Class" but not "A" booking code. So, a receipt on ticket stock works MUCH BETTER. So, instead of trying to print out the fare codes on ticket stock, she spent the time arguing with me about QUP fares and that if I were rerouted for some reason, I would be in coach. In addition, she started to question me on what "mechanism" I used for my upgrade.... ARGH!

Not that any of this discussion was apropros to the issue at hand. I ended up shrugging my shoulders and walking away with the agent continuing to talk at me about her intrepretation of the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.