Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

QUAUP fare, but sitting in econ for first leg; what happens on flight day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium

I'm traveling BDL-ORD-SEA in a couple weeks, and I bought a QUAUP on the outbound, W on the return. When I made the purchase, there was A inventory available on ORD-SEA, so I am sitting in first on that flight. My Itins looks like this:
Fare basis code:
QUA7UPN
Booking class: A
First
1,720 Award miles

However, the BDL-ORD leg was F2 P2 A0, so I am sitting in coach on that flight.
From My Itins:
Fare basis code:
QUA7UPN
Booking class: Y
Economy
783 Award miles

On the actual flight day, if there are still F seats available on BDL-ORD, do I get one? What priority do I have? Before upgraders? Do I need to make any request for this to happen, or will I just get the seat if there is room?

Also, if I happen to take a bump on that day (most flights are pretty full), will I get treated as having an F ticket or no?

Thanks!

PS: Just for some other info, I could have bought a MUAUP fare that booked into P, giving me a seat in first on BDL-ORD. I chose not to due to price. Would this have changed my bump possibilities at all?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I had a similar situation recently. Same fare basis as you, sat in first for the first leg, but A fare never did clear on the second. For me, even as a 1K, I ended up in coach for the latter flight - not even sure if I was put on the wait list for F in this circumstance. It wasn't a long flight, so I didn't make a big deal.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Oh, forgot to mention that I did get the 50% EQM bonus on both legs however.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'd just call to make sure you're on the waitlist, perhaps it might be a manual thing they need to initiate on your behalf.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
I'd just call to make sure you're on the waitlist, perhaps it might be a manual thing they need to initiate on your behalf.
OK, thanks; that's probably a good idea.

Just for the record, does anyone know *what* waitlist I'll be on, and with what priority? Do I get some advantage above ALL upgraders since I have a first class fare, or is it just the normal DM list where it goes status, then fare (which I fear will be a Q fare for me), then time added to DM?
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by thegingerman
OK, thanks; that's probably a good idea.

Just for the record, does anyone know *what* waitlist I'll be on, and with what priority? Do I get some advantage above ALL upgraders since I have a first class fare, or is it just the normal DM list where it goes status, then fare (which I fear will be a Q fare for me), then time added to DM?
You typically can't waitlist for A space on QUP fares, but you can ask to be put on the DM. Since you're not full fare F, you won't get FFCC, but I think they give you BP2? You're above standby F pax since you're already in Y and you're ahead of upgraders. Only full F pax should be able to trump you.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by qasr
You typically can't waitlist for A space on QUP fares, but you can ask to be put on the DM. Since you're not full fare F, you won't get FFCC, but I think they give you BP2? You're above standby F pax since you're already in Y and you're ahead of upgraders. Only full F pax should be able to trump you.

I have a similar situation--one leg of a QUP booked into A, another into Y. The Y leg doesn't show as wait listed on the itineraries page, however when I go to the upgrade page I'm told in red letters "A complimentary upgrade has been requested on your behalf." I assume that no action is required on my part to get on the DM.

To further confuse things, I am still given the option of upgrading the Y segment via e-500s or miles. This would seem less than pointless.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
For the leg that's booked in Y, I'd check to see what the NF bucket looks like. If there's room in there, you might have a shot at the complimentary upgrade. You'll know shortly before take-off.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfmaus
I have a similar situation--one leg of a QUP booked into A, another into Y. The Y leg doesn't show as wait listed on the itineraries page, however when I go to the upgrade page I'm told in red letters "A complimentary upgrade has been requested on your behalf." I assume that no action is required on my part to get on the DM.
Sorta. The system seems to be recognising your Y class segment and is planning on requesting a complimentary Y/B upgrade for you. You don't want to be on the UGDG list, when you check in, you want to make sure you are on the list as a First class fare with a Y class seat.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vt2k
For the leg that's booked in Y, I'd check to see what the NF bucket looks like. If there's room in there, you might have a shot at the complimentary upgrade. You'll know shortly before take-off.
True. Oddly enough, I have seen NF1 A0. That I can't understand.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:53 pm

Hmmm. Interestingly enough the Y leg is showing up as A2 on seatcounter. I guess I'll give reservations a call.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfmaus
Hmmm. Interestingly enough the Y leg is showing up as A2 on seatcounter. I guess I'll give reservations a call.
They should move you in no probs. I guess it was A0 when you booked?
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
It might have something to do with allowing to keep GS and other elite FF happy.

I've seen on other flights lots of open F, A, P, Y, and B space open but all the N* buckets are 0. The upgrade clearing windows hit, I get placed on the waitlist. Day of the flight, about 50% of the time I've gotten a seat in the F cabin.

I've also booked QUP fares where one of the legs was on an RJ w/o F. Then thanks to the magic of schedule changes, one of my legs gets changed to a different airport for the connection and the UX flight changes to mainline and I'm confirmed in the F cabin on the A fare.

Anyway, Good luck! I hope your u/g comes through!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:00 pm

They should move you in no probs. I guess it was A0 when you booked?
Two minutes later...exactly right. I'm now sitting in front.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It might have something to do with allowing to keep GS and other elite FF happy.
It could, but I would be much more inclined to believe it was an IM/IT error of some kind.
I've seen on other flights lots of open F, A, P, Y, and B space open but all the N* buckets are 0.
This is much more common, IME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.