Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Quality of New Business Seats Going Downhill

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quality of New Business Seats Going Downhill

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
So you woke up seven times during the night screaming for a bottle?
Sounds like my flights.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:49 pm
BON

Programs: UA 1K
Just got off UA842 ORD-LAX on 763 (N643UA). I was sitting in 8A and everything was in a reasonably good condition. Seat 8B, however, is missing the footrest.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:52 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Sounds like my flights.
Only when the really loud snoring passenger is behind you.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Don't know why you say that. I am 6'2" and can lay flat without a problem.
I'm 5'8" and I cannot lay straight on the UD seats.

UD is shorter than LD
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:24 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by UNITEDBRENT
I just did SFO-HKG and the map said that we have traveled for 1 hour. Pretty sure it was a little longer than that.

Also, what is with the proprietary I-pod jack ? I figured USB would do the trick ?

But slept like a baby....
This seems to be standard--the Airshow hasn't worked right once on any flight in new C I've taken. The time flown has always been less, and the distance flown is often shown as 1 mi / 3 km. On the other hand, time remaining always has seemed to be nearly correct.

I also hate the new flight path which auto-updates as the plane moves, so rather than showing you the actual flight path, complete with deviations and holds, it shows you the great circle or most direct route to the current location of the plane.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by retsef
I'm 5'8" and I cannot lay straight on the UD seats.

UD is shorter than LD
I'm 6'1" and I had no trouble laying flat in the UD.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
6'2" here and was fine on the upper deck...don't like the tight footwell but i was generally able to lay flat
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by OskiBear
6'2" here and was fine on the upper deck...don't like the tight footwell but i was generally able to lay flat
Before we veer too far off topic, I thought I'd cross-reference cricketer's essential post on 744 new configuration C class legroom:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11594869-post392.html

I had better luck today on a new-config 763: Seat worked flawlessly. It's the newer model with the single fixed central armrest.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:30 am

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Originally Posted by retsef
Has anyone else noticed the quality of the new business seats going downhill? Me thinks UA has a lot of maintenance upkeep costs in its future on these seats. I routinely experience broken trim pieces, inoperable arm rests, shaking and rattling, and seat bottoms that sink.
Hey guys,
Have you had a ride on a CRJ lately?
There all seats are business seats.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
A lot of passengers apparently don't realize that as the seat moves to lie flat position, they are moving downward with the seat. One has to move upward a few inches after adjusting the seat to realize the true length of the seat.

Had to explain that to a seatmate a couple of days ago who thought his seat was somehow shorter than mine.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I had a perfect seat which showed no wear and tear and EVERYTHING worked (except channel 9, and that was either the captain or me not getting the Audio right ).

I was in 17K UD 747 SFO-SYD. Maybe that seat has had less wear and tear because its close to the galley and the other more popular seats fill up first. However, there was absolutely no problem with the seat, nor any sign of it looking badly worn etc. I loved the new seat and I got 8 hrs sleep, which is totally unheard of for me on a plane EVER.

I was able to stretch out fully, but I am not 6 Ft tall .
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Just flew (June 6) UA839 LAX-SYD in 6K. Seat was in good working condition but IFE in-flight map was showing erroneous data whole way - the distance we covered never fell below 7,400 miles and the time remaining for the flight got stuck at 6 hours. Had exactly the same problem on (May 8) UA863 SFO-SYD in 8A. Despite the defect with the in-flight map, reassuringly, on both occasions we did reach our destination and on time.

Love the lie flat position, but not so enamoured with these seats, find them somewhat hard and uncomfortable and while my usual Jack Daniels and ambien hit gave me guaranteed uninterrupted zzzzz's through the night in the past, have experienced pretty restless sleep in these new seats.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
A lot of passengers apparently don't realize that as the seat moves to lie flat position, they are moving downward with the seat. One has to move upward a few inches after adjusting the seat to realize the true length of the seat.

Had to explain that to a seatmate a couple of days ago who thought his seat was somehow shorter than mine.
Exactly. Even after I moved up I still had room to have my arms above my head. 6'1" or so here.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Jesus. I hope this isn't the case. I'm hoping for much better than this on my return trip from Korea to the state on the 3rd of July when I connected in NRT on purpose to get the new seat from NRT-LAX.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by IainC
Just flew (June 6) UA839 LAX-SYD in 6K. Seat was in good working condition but IFE in-flight map was showing erroneous data whole way - the distance we covered never fell below 7,400 miles and the time remaining for the flight got stuck at 6 hours. Had exactly the same problem on (May 8) UA863 SFO-SYD in 8A. Despite the defect with the in-flight map, reassuringly, on both occasions we did reach our destination and on time.

Love the lie flat position, but not so enamoured with these seats, find them somewhat hard and uncomfortable and while my usual Jack Daniels and ambien hit gave me guaranteed uninterrupted zzzzz's through the night in the past, have experienced pretty restless sleep in these new seats.
I've never had the IFE work entirely properly on any flight with the new config. The map is often not working or misreading, and on one occasion I had to get the purser to personally select a movie for me from the master console. Couldn't do it from my seat.

I have to say I'm not impressed with these seats, either. I don't like the idea of being "trapped" in a window seat, and somehow they just feel claustrophobic. I much prefer the herringbone pattern of AC, NZ et al.

Does any other airline have similar C class seats to UA, I wonder?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.